Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Spotted Hyenas need your help!

I know that to many people, the Spotted Hyena isn't know everyone's top 5 favorite animal list. However, they are for me and whats going on right now is tragic and I want to reach out to as many people as possible to help them.

A Hyena Research Center in Berkeley, CA, (One of the only research centers for spotted hyenas in the US) has had it's funding cut. From what I was told, it was because researching the Spotted Hyena was not very important. Even though these are magnificent, highly intelligent creatures they have a very bad rap (much like the APBT) and finding zoos or other sanctuaries has been very hard. The manager of the research facility is trying to open a new sanctuary, but this is also proving to be a difficult task.

So hard in fact, that they have had to begin to euthanize them because they simply cannot afford to keep so many large animals, who do consume a lot of meat, fed and healthy. It breaks my heart to hear that this is happening, especially to a creature I care so deeply for. So, I have decided to help out the best I can and spread the word, hoping others will look past their reputation and not want to see animals suffer because humans deemed them unworthy.

The Hyaenidae Sanctuaries blog can be found here: Hyaenidae SanctuaryAnd their Twitter can be found here: https://twitter.com/#!/HyenaSanctuary

They are selling prints of the hyenas they have as a thank you for anyone who donates, and buying packs helps. I normally do not ask people to help with money related things, but this is something that calls for action to people who care about animals. If anyone can spread the word about the plight of these fascinating animals, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am also here to break myths and answer questions about the Spotted Hyena, in case those are reasons people are hesitant to donate. They do have a very bad reputation, most of it coming from assumptions and personifications from The Lion King but most of them are absolutely untrue and I'm more than happy to share with you all how truly wonderful the Spotted Hyena is and hopefully make you love them just as much as I do.

Thank you all,
    -- Jasper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Re: Spotted Hyenas need your help!

I have decided to show a few of the pictures they have for sale. All the money from buying these prints goes entirely to keeping them alive and to support and promote this cause. All other costs are being paid for out of pocket by these people. It's also the best way to show the cute, softer, and beautiful side of 'yenas that most people don't see. All of the hyenas you see here and on the other prints are from this Rescue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyena1.jpg 
Views:	8187 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	19565

Name:	hyena2.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	19566

Name:	hyena3.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	19567

Name:	hyena4.jpg 
Views:	1901 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	19568

See all the photos here: Hyena Prints - a set on Flickr and go to this link to find out how to purchase them:
    Hyaenidae Sanctuary | Hyena Photographs

User Tag List