Thread: when can I introduce two females?

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

when can I introduce two females?

I received a baby female guinea pig 2 weeks ago from a friend that had an accidental pregnancy. She is a licensed vet tech and takes wonderful care of her girls. She found the mom dropped off at the door of her vets office (where she works) and decided to keep her only to find out she was pregnant. Knowing that I was planning on adopting a friend for my girl, she called me and I found little Isabelle, a (seemingly) perfect match for my existing girl. I brought her home and she's been in quarentine for 2 weeks now but was seen by an exotic animal vet on Tuesday and given a clean bill of health. Seeing as how I know where she came from (my friend had the mom for 3 weeks prior to her giving birth) and receiving good news from the vet, is it ok to introduce her to my Sophia or is it better to keep them apart for another week? Any advice would be great!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    300 Rec'd/244 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

Re: when can I introduce two females?

I would feel comfortable introducing them, seeing as how the mother has been monitored for at least 6 weeks (assuming you adopted baby at 3 weeks, and she had her 3 weeks prior to birth) and you had a vet visit.

For great tips on how to properly introduce them, see halfway down the following page: Guinea Pigs Social Life

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Yes, Isabelle (the new one) was a little over 3 weeks old when I got her plus 2 weeks in quarentine, makes her 5 weeks old now. I would wait if I didn't know where she came from and I am always super cautious with my animals about taking them to the vet at the littlest sign of something (drives my husband NUTS). I am really fortunate to know LOTS of people in the vet field and take full advantage of their expertise. I will read over that page, SurfingPigs. Thanks.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    335 Rec'd/208 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I have an Isabel (named after my aunt Issy). I think if both pigs are healthy, it is OK to introduce them now. No doubt the little one is very lonely without her mom. It sounds like you are doing everything right !

Thanks
    Thanks
    65 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duffinvt View Post
    I have an Isabel (named after my aunt Issy). I think if both pigs are healthy, it is OK to introduce them now. No doubt the little one is very lonely without her mom. It sounds like you are doing everything right !
    That's exactly what I think of every time I see her little face! She's opened up quite a bit but she seems so lonely all by herself when just a few weeks ago she had momma, 2 brothers, and a sister to keep her company! And then I go see Sophia and she's so outgoing and I feel like I'm keeping a secret from her. I know she's going to be so happy to have a sister! I think I may wait til a little later and introduce them during floor time (which happens in a neutral part of the house anyways). I have a new cage all ready for them that neither has been in. Yay!

User Tag List