Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated My Friend Should NOT Keep Her Guinea Pigs!!

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

IlovemyRhino

Cavy Slave
omg that's not right that's just making their lives miserable and waiting for death! Maybe if you try telling her that its not right what shes doing to them and if she doesn't put them in the right conditions to sell them or give them away and if she refuses or it doesn't work maybe call an animal place that will talk to her and take the guinea pigs to a better home if need be? I know they have animal shelters and animal rescue for dogs but maybe they do for guinea pigs too, after all obviously some of them need the help! I hope the piggies get help soon, good luck hope this helped!

SpazNMeos momma

Cavy Slave
There are rescue organizations that deal with small animals. I dont know what area you are in but try looking on petfinder under small and furry and see what rescues pop up with adoptable piggies. I would try to give her the rescues number and let her see for herself that the way she is keeping them is wrong. See if she is willing to come to this site and show her the care guidelines. Guinea lynx is another site you could try to get her to explore. She may just be under educated as all of us once were. If you have already tried to educate her on the proper care and she isnt willing to change im not sure what you could do. Unfortunately in my state there is no laws set on the adaquit housing and care of small animals. As long as you are feeding them and not being abusive then petstore cages and bad food are acceptable, its a shame. Im hoping that someone else will have some better ideas.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I've been where you are, only difference was I am an adult and so was the "friend". She had a pig that needed medical attention and she left it alone for months. Every time I talked to her I told her she needed to see a vet ASAP. She would take her dogs in but never the pig. When the condition got horribly worse she brought it to the SPCA saying some BS story about how it was abandoned.

I no longer talk to her because she still had one pig in her care and I could not take the chance she would leave this one in a horrible condition. Its stressful and heart breaking to those who really give a damn.

My advice is:
If you've talked to everyone you can and no one is doing anything. Cut your connections with her. If she asks why, explain its because she is hurting her guinea pigs and your tired of seeing them in the state they are in. If she values your friendship at all she will change the way she treats them. If not, know that you did all you could and she is no real friend. Sadly it sounds like these pigs will probably die. Remember you did everything you can, shes the one at fault and short of taking the pigs against her will (which you can't do), you have done all you can.

go_ellie

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
At least you did try. Good for you.. Maybe just Maybe before it's to late she'll change or give them up to you. Lets hope she does..

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
I know this would be hard to do, but I would report her for animal cruelty/neglect to your local authorities.

If the police take you seriously and are willing to come out to investigate your friend might realize that she can’t treat her animals any way she wants just because they are hers. We all have to follow a certain set of basic care guidelines.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to say how sorry I am for what you are going through with your very selfish ignorant friend...:weepy: as others have said, you have done ALL you can do in trying to educate her, for the sake of her poor sad guinea pigs. She obviously has a lot of growing up to do yet !:weepy:

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Have you tried asking your parents to talk to her parents? Maybe they can explain, in a non-confrontational way, what your concerns are and what an awful thing their kid is doing to her pets. Another thing is that she lied to her father about what you were saying to her. (A) that shows that she must know on some level that you are right, (B) it shows that she is willing to lie both the avoid an issue with her father and also to torment you. I would want to know this about my child, in a similar situation. I have to wonder what is going on with her psychologically that she thinks this is okay.

Which gets to another aspect -- she is not only abusing her pigs. She is really, really mistreating you. I agree with CanadianComfort's recommendation, that after all other avenues are exhausted, you should cut communications with her. She seems to delight in telling you that she can do whatever she wants, including starve the poor things. That doesn't meet any definition of friend in my book.

You have an amazing courage of your conviction and I want to thank you for what you are doing for these piggies. I hope you keep that spirit up, regardless of what happens, and continue to be a voice for animals. It gives me hope!

Tylerryan79

Cavy Slave
Tell your friend to buy a good pellet. Guinea pigs can live off of pellets and water only, the pellets contain everything they need to survive.

Hay and veggies are what good owners feed their pets. Pellets and water are what labs and people like your friend feed their pigs. Buy her some good pellets, steal her crappy ones, and she will have to feed them those.

When I had a guinea pig years ago I only fed him pellets and water, with the occasional veggie treat. I was never told, or it wasn't known then, to feed hay and veggies daily. My pig lived a normal lifespan.

Also, make or buy a wooden hidey for they pigs to chew and keep their teeth in check.

If you really think she isn't feeding them pellets or water call the authorities on her. I'm sure that would wake her parents up.

Last edited:

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Tell your friend to buy a good pellet. Guinea pigs can live off of pellets and water only, the pellets contain everything they need to survive.

Hay and veggies are what good owners feed their pets. Pellets and water are what labs and people like your friend feed their pigs. Buy her some good pellets, steal her crappy ones, and she will have to feed them those.

I have to disagree with you there. Yes they NEED Pellets and water but with out hay they can get moral issues (this is just one example). hay and https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html#hay give you great information on why hay is so important.

Veggies are also a must. Vit. C does degrade after a while, even in unopened bags. Freezing does help retain it but to avoid scurvy you should always feed fresh veggies, which is what go_ellie is trying to get through to her friend.

You say its what "labs" feed them, what you don't realize is that these animals get the bare min to live. Tiny cages, horrible food and so on. If you think this is "ok" then maybe you should rethink that. There is tons of information out there that says otherwise. As a small example, how would you like to live in an average bathroom with nothing but bread and water? You would live, but your quality of life would be horrible.

Mrs_Ames

Cavy Slave
I know that your "friend" is ignoring you and disreguarding your advice but, she does hear you. She might just a too proud to admit you are right, even though she knows its true. Hopefully she will do what is right. The sad thing is alot of people don't take guinea pig care seriously. I have a lethal pig. He is blind and deaf with only back molars. He requires alot of money. I just took him to the vet and it was $250. People always tell me "Why?! He is just a rat!" It makes me so angry!!!

kapowilicious

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to tell you I am so sorry for what you are going through. The way your friend is treating her animals really does break my heart. I don't know why some people just don't care- but those types are out there. My heart goes out to you, and those poor furry friends.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Call the athoriities. This is animal abuse. Here is PETA ermergencey number. 757-9431203
They helped once before when some rats were in a horrible situation.

You could tell your friend they way she is treating them is animal abuse. If she doesnt turn them over to a shelter, to you, and doesnt get them the help, the food and the love they deserve you are calling the athorities in. You could have your parents try to talk to her parents and tell them this is animal abuse and if not stopped the athorieties will be called in.

Thank you for caring.

Tylerryan79

Cavy Slave
I have to disagree with you there. Yes they NEED Pellets and water but with out hay they can get moral issues (this is just one example). hay and https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html#hay give you great information on why hay is so important.Veggies are also a must. Vit. C does degrade after a while, even in unopened bags. Freezing does help retain it but to avoid scurvy you should always feed fresh veggies, which is what go_ellie is trying to get through to her friend.You say its what "labs" feed them, what you don't realize is that these animals get the bare min to live. Tiny cages, horrible food and so on. If you think this is "ok" then maybe you should rethink that. There is tons of information out there that says otherwise. As a small example, how would you like to live in an average bathroom with nothing but bread and water? You would live, but your quality of life would be horrible.
I'm trying to find a middle ground. I WANT her friend to do what's right, but this girls tried everything and her friend isn't getting the message. I suggested buying a good pellet becaus that's the only thing her friend seems to be willing to feed her pigs, pellets. Sure the pigs are missing out on hay and the benefits of hay, but they do not NEED hay to survive. Will problems arise with the pigs teeth? Maybe. But atleast her friend won't be completely neglecting these pigs, and starving them to death. I pray this girl sees the light, but until then I stick with what I suggested. Buy a high quality pellet, switch them out with her bad quality one. Also, keep at it! Maybe she will turn around and wise up.

go_ellie

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
A HUGH HUGH CONGRATS TO YOU...

I just wish that is what our local animals shelter would do..I live in Canada and there is no real protect for animal here..I mean there would not visit to make sure the RODENTS are being treated...

would love to see Pigture of before and after of the piggies...

Congrats again..Thanks for not stoping untill you SAFED them...

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Wow the animal shelter moved quickly! I'm glad the pigs are in a good, safe and caring place now and that you will be able to adopt them when they are healthy again.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am so glad to hear that they are now safe. Congrats on doing whats right.

pinky

Cavy Slave
That's great news! Now, let's hope that they have them on a list so they won't be able to adopt again in the future.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.