Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Question Loft Level Sagging

I have a newly added 2x1 loft on my 2x4 C&C cage. The middle of the loft is sagging a bit (about 1-2 inches). I have a grid attached that supports the loft right now, but it is blocking off a section of the cage and making it more difficult to catch my pig and clean the cage. What can I use to support the loft and how do I attach it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

Re: Loft Level Sagging

You can support the loft with a 2x2 lumber (they're 1.5 x 1.5 inches)

Or turn the grid in an angle to support the loft so it won't inturupt the running space. Notice the grids used as brace on the 2nd floor.

3. "Thank you, lissie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

When I had my old cage ( a 6 x 2 with a 2x2 hayloft) I found out after the fact, how hard it was to clean and "get under" there. What I ended up doing, ( much to the chaffing of my husband) was to move their hayloft section almost all the way back off the bottom level, and added some old Hood milk crates underneath the loft, which supported it completely. It worked supremely well ! Do you have something that you can stack underneath the loft which would support it's weight ?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kathlaaron View Post
    When I had my old cage ( a 6 x 2 with a 2x2 hayloft) I found out after the fact, how hard it was to clean and "get under" there. What I ended up doing, ( much to the chaffing of my husband) was to move their hayloft section almost all the way back off the bottom level, and added some old Hood milk crates underneath the loft, which supported it completely. It worked supremely well ! Do you have something that you can stack underneath the loft which would support it's weight ?
    No, unfortunately the whole cage is on a table in an area that is just wider than 4 grids. We do not have any more space in our home, otherwise I would have a much larger cage with no lofts or levels.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    92 Rec'd/74 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I have a 2x2 that hangs over 1x2 over the outside of the cage. I used two grids and ziptied them diagonally to the side of the bottom level and the bottom of the loft grids for support. Inside the cage part (1x2) I simply put a grid in the middle of the two and zip tied them tight! It makes it so it can't wobble or move as much. I also overlapped the grids to meet the loft entrance and put another support grid on the top for even more strength. It doesn't sag and doesn't move when they run up the ramp or anything either. This is the only picture I have of my loft at the moment, hopefully you can understand my madness
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-01-03 16.37.40.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	19194

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I zipstripped bigger L brackets under my upper level. I have them on every joint. they work like a charm!

User Tag List