Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Treating fungal infection! HELP?

sezzle

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm new to this site and it took me ages how to figure out how to post this thread!
So, one of my guinea pigs, Lily, has a fungal infection and I was advised to use Daktarin (metaconazole) to treat it. So I was wondering, since it is a cream, not an oral gel, how do I apply it to her? Where should I apply it? How often should I apply it to her? And how long should I continue to treat her for?

Thank you so much! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You apply it on the areas that are affected by the fungus. Use a q-tip, and rub it in as well as you can -- it won't take much. Don't leave glops of the cream on her fur. Do it at least a couple of times a day. Wear gloves while you're handling her.

Fungus is really contagious, so watch your other pigs carefully. You can also get it. Any wood items in the cage need to be discarded, and everything else needs to be washed and thoroughly cleaned every day.

A bath with human Nizoral shampoo may also help -- the active ingredient is ketaconazole. If you do that, make sure the pig is really dry before putting the Daktarin on.

Read www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for more information.

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
Also make sure to clean and disinfect the cage with either 9 parts water and 1 part bleach or vinegar. Throw out any wood in the cage. Make sure to change the bedding often. You can get ringworm from her so be very careful! I ended up getting it even though I wore gloves and washed my hands.

sezzle

Cavy Slave
Thanks this was very helpful!
:O their hutch is made from wood :(
What should I do?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Oooo that is a tough one ! I really don't know the answer to that, other than making a C&C cage for your piggie. Is your piggie housed outdoors ? How many piggies do you have ?

sezzle

Cavy Slave
I have two piggies! :)
It's outside the house, but not exactly outside. It's not in the garage either. It's in an enclosed outdoor area that connects to our house so as soon as we walk out the door we walk straight towards the piggies. Theres a playground in that area too, so we couldn't make a c&c otherwise the small children would try and pick them up!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.