Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Helping an anxious and scared pig

kitgal421

Cavy Slave
My older guinea pig Weasley always seems to be so anxious and scared of everything. Poor thing has been bounced from home to home. Before I adopted him he was found almost starved to death, so I'm sure that abuse has quite a bit to do with his personality now.

I try to hold him often and always have treats for him, but he still seems so afraid. It's such a big contrast to my younger gp Luke who always runs up to people and loves to be petted.

It's only been a few months so I'm hoping time will help, but is there anything else I can do (besides food/lap time/floor time) that will help him be more comfortable?

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
My Jasper is the same way and I've had him a little over a year. I also adopted him from a shelter where he was abused by a 6 year old.

He has just gotten to the point of where I can pet him on his back. It used to only be the chin, then the top of the head, and now the back. But when I get near his bum he gets scared and runs. Picking him up for floor time or cage cleaning is a real chore.

In my opinion, time is your friend. Just keep working with him and he should learn to trust you. Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're doing the right things -- just keep it up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.