Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help with Baby Piggies!

I had a guinea pig years ago, and she was quite happy living in her own cage with the company of me and my family. After finally convincing my parents to let me get another guinea pig after my first one passed away, I noticed that she was sad and lonely. so, less that two weeks later, when she began eating and playing less, I bought a friend for her. They are both girls, I've triple checked the two of them.
    I noticed tonight that the older one has a yellow color around her genitals, and the area is wet. Also, her genitals are swollen and there is a clear/whiteish discharge coming form her. I noticed this when I picked her up and her bottom felt wet.
    I read quite a few forums, and some said these are normal signs of the guinea pig being in heat, pregnant, or having some kind of infection/disease. I love my babies very much, and am worried so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    There aren't many Guinea Pig vets around here, and I don't know if I'd have the money to pay for treatment, and I especially don't have much time to go to the vet with all of the holidays. Of course, if it were absolutely necessary I'd take her, but I have only noticed the discharge today and it already seems like there's less.
    By the way, she was six weeks old when I got her, and that was over two weeks ago, so She's almost 9 weeks old now.

Anyway, here's a summary.
    I have two guinea pigs. Doodles is almost 9 weeks old, and Cuddles is almost 7 weeks old. They live together and are getting along very well, but tonight I noticed that Doodles' genitals are swollen and discharge is coming from that area. They have been much more active, chasing and purring, etc, in the past two days than the other time I've had them, but I'm not sure if this is just them getting more used to each other, if Doodles is in heat, if she might be pregnant, or if something is wrong with her. (I got them from PetSmart, so there is a chance they accidentally housed a male with her) I am sure they are both female. Please give me advice, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3800 Post(s)

Re: Help with Baby Piggies!

A discharge from the genital area of a sow is often a sign of pyometra, an infection of the uterus which requires immediate surgery to save the life of the pig. However, the external swelling suggests the possibility of other hormonal problems.

Are you weighing her regularly? At 9 weeks, she could be pregnant, but she couldn't possibly be far enough along to be ready to deliver, so the discharge is unlikely to be related to a pregnancy.

There's nothing really that you can do for your pig at home. You need to find a good exotic vet to take her to on Monday -- a dog and cat vet will not be able to do anything for her, and you'll just be wasting your money.

Thanks
    Thanks
    27 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

If you live in America, Europe or Australia, it could be easy to find a cavy vet. They usually don't label their selves as Dr. Cavy, my vet treats dogs, cats, and exotics, I only knew about him by asking other vets I used to go to when I had a dog. You could go around the internet and ask fellow owners in your area, or the shelter, or ask vets you know if they know someone. Good luck!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Vets in the Guinea Pig ZoneIf you go to that link and type in your zip code, there is a pretty extensive listing of vets that have experience with piggies.

User Tag List