Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea pig hopping. Back leg/back problem? Help

pixxie

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I have two guinea pigs. The one that is hopping rather than walking(her names twix) is about 10 months old. I opened the cage for my guinea pigs to come out for free range time, and only my other pig (dizzy) came out. I thought maybe twix was just sleeping or something, but when I saw her she was awake just sitting in one spot. I gently picked her up and put her on the floor to have free range time, but rather than walking around she hopped. I was very worried and picked her up to inspect, and no poop was on the bum, she wasnt wet or messy, infact she looked completely normal, and her legs moved. I put her back on the ground and she hopped to the litter box but couldnt jump up (she attempted to) but gave up and peeded on the floor (which she NEVER does). I put her back in the cage and put food and water right near her so she wouldnt have to hop into litter boxes to get to it. All night she hasnt moved out of her spot, but i saw shes eating and drinking. When she attempted to get over a low litter box, her back legs dragged as she hopped over, thats why i put food and water close to her so she wouldnt do that anymore. I dont know whats wrong, please help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like she has a back or leg injury. I'd confine her to a small area -- maybe divide your cage with a grid or something. That will lessen the chances that she'll reinjure herself. Take out anything she has to hop to get into or onto, but change the bedding under her frequently so she's not sitting in poop/pee.

Is she a satin, by any chance? They have extremely shiny fur, and they're prone to bone diseases. It's also possible that she has arthritis, but she's pretty young for that. If you think she's in pain, I'd try get some pain medication from a vet today, since we're looking at a holiday weekend.

pixxie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help, she is a satin infact, what are the bone desieses she could have? Where is there more info? Thank you soo much, your help is much appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Satins are prone to osteodystrophy, which is a degenerative bone disease. It can be diagnosed by x-ray, so it would probably be a good idea to get your pig in for one as soon as possible. Not necessarily this weekend -- it's not that big of an emergency, but soon.

If it turns out that it is osteodystrophy, then I'd suggest you post her information (and x-rays, if you can get a copy) over at Guinea Lynx (www.guinealynx.info). There are several people over there with osteodystrophy pigs, and they're up on the latest in light therapy, pain management, and balance (between maintaining bone health and winding up with stones).

Osteodystrophy is yet another reason we encourage people not to buy from breeders. They're fully aware of satins and osteodystrophy (and it may be that all satins have it), yet they continue to produce them because they like the coats and the pigs sell.

pixxie

Cavy Slave
Oh i was also wondering if the osteodystrophy spreads in the guinea pig or just worsens in one spot. Wierdly twix seemes to not be in pain when i hold her and test her legs...is there an explanation for that? Is she not in pain? Thanks

pinky

Cavy Slave
Oh i was also wondering if the osteodystrophy spreads in the guinea pig or just worsens in one spot. Wierdly twix seemes to not be in pain when i hold her and test her legs...is there an explanation for that? Is she not in pain? Thanks

Ostedystrophy spreads. I lost a guinea pig to it a fews years ago. The symptoms first showed up with her hopping. I had xrays done which confirmed that her bones were mottled and her joints were fusing together. Next was her front legs, one at a time. Next was her neck. I had her on metacam for pain and hand fed her as long as she wanted to eat and she appeared to have the will to live. I finally ended up having to put her to sleep when she became immobile and no longer wanted to eat. Guinea pigs are prey animals so they hide pain the best they can. My guinea pig didn't act like she was in pain, either, but I knew she had to be once I saw the xrays. Don't guess on the diagnosis. Hopping is also a symptom of scurvy or injury. I'd have an xray done to confirm the diagnosis or rule it out.

pixxie

Cavy Slave
So i should go to the vet and see what it is, but if it is the bone disease can i stop it from spreading if i give her meds? How long will her life be if she has osteodystrophy? What will the meds do, will it make her better or just lengthen her life? Sorry for all the questions, im just really freaking out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.