Thread: Jojo's Best Western Timothy hay

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jojo's Best Western Timothy hay

I am new to guinea pig ownership and have recently found I am having trouble with hay.

When we adopted Dudley last week we bought him Oxbow Cavy Cuisine and Oxbow Timothy Hay and he definitely enjoys both of them very much. However, the other night I was filling his hay rack up and I noticed something that looked like a bite on my wrist. I panicked and thought that maybe he has lice, fleas of mites of some sort (I always get nervous for the first week or so of having a new animal because we have other pets) but realized that it was where the hay had touched my arm.

So I took some pieces of hay from the bag and rubbed them on my arms and sure enough I broke out into full blown hives all up my arms and on my chest. My husband went out the next day and bought Jojo's Best Timothy hay and it looks and smells fresher than Oxbow, but I haven't heard much about it before.

I rubbed hay from both bags on each arm and the Oxbow arm broke out into hives and Jojo's Best barely even left a red mark.

I can keep feeding Oxbow if this other brand isn't a good brand, but would rather to use something that doesn't make my chest tight just from being in the room. We tried Orchard Grass as well and it also made me itchy, so I don't know if it is just the dust that is in the Oxbow bags, but I have a bag of this other hay that doesn't cause any problems - but I just want to know if it is an okay hay to feed?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    300 Rec'd/244 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

Re: Jojo's Best Western Timothy hay

I wouldn't worry too much about brand when it comes to hay... as long as there aren't excessive hard bits that would cause a hay poke in the eye and your pig enjoys it, keep on feeding it.

If you do have further allergic issues with the timothy hay (and I can't quite figure out why a different brand would matter, since the pollen is the allergen... my best hypothesis being the time in the growth cycle that it was harvested) you could try orchard grass or KMS bluegrass hay.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks.

I can't get KMS bluegrass hay as I live in Canada and they do not ship out here, I wish I could get it though.

I have no idea why I would be allergic to one brand and not the other but I think it has to do with the amount of dust that was in my Oxbow bag of hay. When I pull out the hay from the bag, dust flies everywhere. Jojo's Best doesn't seem to have dust that flies out of the bag/sits on the bottom.

I know I am allergic to many things related to nature so it could be the time it was harvested, but I know that I am really allergic to dust, which is why I am so focused on thinking it is because of the dust.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I have used jojos and it was great quality. As an aside. It is on special clear out from Canadian pet connection. Call them though as their website says its $3.99 but when I called and ordered I was only charged $2.99.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you so much. I am going to talk to my husband and see if he is okay with me ordering more hay!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Glad I could help.

User Tag List