Thread: Bulk pellets got bugs - can I still use them?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Bulk pellets got bugs - can I still use them?

I've had my guinea pigs for about a year now. After I learned about getting good quality pellets, I ordered 50lbs of Kleenmammas timothy pellets and my pigs LOVE them. I think we've used about 3/4 of the box. However, the last time I opened the box to refill my smaller "everyday" container, I noticed dead bugs inside the box! (bugs with wings) When I scooped the pellets, they disintegrated very easily. Are these pellets still ok to feed my pigs? Are they disintegrating because of the bugs?

I'm going to buy a new box, but I wasn't sure if they could keep eating these in the meantime. I searched the forum but I didn't see any other threads about this, so I apologize if the answer is already out there!

Also, I was storing them in the same container that I got them in - a cardboard box with a thick paper-ish bag liner. Should I put the next batch in a tupperware or something?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4088 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,528 Rec'd/6,015 Posts

Re: Bulk pellets got bugs - can I still use them?

If a lot of the pellets are disintegrating, it's probably because of the bugs. I've ordered KM pellets about a half-dozen times now, and while there are always a few disintegrated pellets as I get toward the bottom of the container, they don't disintegrate any easier than they did at the first, nor is it anything like 1/4 of the sack left.

I think I'd err on the side of caution and pitch those. And yes, I would recommend storing them in a sealed plastic container. Of course, I live in Houston, and we have to store everything that's loose in sealed containers because of the roaches -- flour, meal, pellets, dog and cat food, cereals, etc.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

edit: I just checked the box label and it was actually 25 lbs, purchased about 9 months ago. I will definitely store the next batch differently. I hate to see any of them go to waste!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    172 Rec'd/140 Posts

There are a couple of things that you can do. You can freeze pellets for up to a year or, if that is not an option, you can seal smaller amounts in the food type vacuum bags. The freezing or lack of air will dispatch anything that might be lurking in the pellets.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

oh that's a great idea! Thanks, I'll give it a try.

User Tag List