Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Oxbow vs Kaytee

skritters

Cavy Slave
I looked for oxbow at the closest pet store and didn't see it! Is it available in canada?
I've been feeding them Hagen original blend pellets... what's the weigh in for this brand?

As for hay, I recently got them orchard grass hay, lots of soft green, and they LOVE it. It's also cheaper, and supports local farms instead of big corps. I'm sticking with that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't find the ingredients for Hagen pellets online anywhere. The company provides articles about various pets, and their guinea pig info seems to be a mix of good and outdated.

SherrieByTheSea

Cavy Slave
Could someone point me to nutritional info on the KMS Timothy pellets? I'm not seeing it on their site

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look at (broken link removed) for the ingredients in several different brands of pellets.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Here's nutritional info and ingredients in KMS pellets.
(broken link removed)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
And, I beg to differ with your comment about my friend the breeder. Do you personally know an ethical breeder? I do and if one is breeding for show at the national level, and one from whom other breeders buy their stock, how in the world can you have a beautiful cavy who isn't healthy? You'd be out of business as soon as the word got out.

The ethical issues that come along with breeding for show aside, this is a thread about good quality food. My point was that just because she is a breeder doesn't necessarily qualify her to know what is quality food and what isn't. That's true of any show breeder, not specifically your friend. Clearly she's not looking at ingredients if she's willing to feed and recommend the Blue Seal food.

That aside, I'm glad you are choosing to go with KMs. It really is high quality food.

skritters

Cavy Slave
Hagen pellets:

dehydrated alfalfa meal, wheat shorts, chopped wheat, soybean meal, lignosulfonate pellet binder, corn gluten meal, calcium carbonate, cane molasses, salt, dl-methionine, ascorbic acid, choline chloride, cobalt sulphate, ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin e supplement, vitamin b12 supplement, copper sulphate, manganous oxide, folic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of viatmin K activity), vitaminD3 supplement, mineral oil, propionic acid, sorbic acid, ground corn cobs, citric acid.

hmmmm..... :eye-poppi

also, I think I read up there (or somewhere) that salt licks are a no-no? i have a salt lick and a mineral lick, although i've never seen the pigs using them. should I remove them?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@skritters - YES, remove the salt licks and mineral licks. As you have observed, pigs generally don't use them and they can be harmful and cause painful stones for pigs.

skritters

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much, @CavyMama! *indignant at the pet store for labeling these things as gp necessities*
You know, despite having had pigs in the past, and having read many gp books in the past as well, I'm realizing now that I thought I knew a lot but there is a LOT to learn (and relearn.) Books can be good but there's nothing like getting advice from people with real experience and updated information :silly: My last pig, midg, when I was in high school, had a bad urinary infection and a stone, and I took her to the vet and she was fine but I didn't know what caused it. but she had salt licks, and I fed her alfalfa-- no books ever said they should have limited calcium! anyway, my late night ramble basically means I'm grateful. Thanks guys. ❤️ *warm fuzzy moment* *runs to take out the salt licks*

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Right you are! Many books on guinea pig care have outdated and inaccurate information. Sadly, these are the same books that -- surprise surprise -- petstores carry.

Speaking of petstores, being profit driven, they tend to have many many products marketed toward guinea pigs that are unsafe (exercise balls/wheels) or unhealthy (yogurt drops, honey-nut treats). They care more about making money from their "merchandise" (living type included) than stocking appropriate items for critters.

skritters

Cavy Slave
Thankfully I've never gotten my pigs wheels or balls but I have gotten them those honey granola sticks and yoghurt drops. Obviously they love them, but after joining this site I've phased them out, replacing with fresh veg &greens, and they're doing just fine :) I've also stopped buying hay from the pet store and started getting local orchard grass hay, which they much prefer. I guess my next step is researching where to get better kibble. typing out all the ingredients to mine made me realize that if most of the ingredients are unintelligible, it might not be the best. :silly:

I just have to add, your avatar is beyond adorable, @CavyMama ❤️

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yup! I think we've all made those rookie mistakes at one point or another. The good news is that we learned from those mistakes and changed for the better.

As for better kibble, have you looked into Kleenmamas Hayloft? I get both my pellets and hay from there. So fresh and soft. My boys just absolutely go crazy for it as soon as I bring the box into their room. The hay is so lush and green and fresh. Smells wonderful!

(broken link removed)

Awww thanks! My avatar is of one of my boys, Charlie. He's my most curious pig. He's a chubster but such a love! I love the little (or not so little LOL) piggy butt in your avatar.

skritters

Cavy Slave
hmm, looks like they don't ship to canada! I really like the idea of getting local hay, and there are people providing locally made compressed hay chew blocks (although, what's the consensus on that? since I've only ever seen them made from alfalfa). The pellets I doubt I can find locally made, but if the pet store doesn't carry a good brand, I'm happy to order them online.

haha, that's LSP. I love the little pink bum-hole in that picture, makes me laugh everytime.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Alfalfa hay should only be used with pigs under 6 mths old or a pregnant sow. Otherwise timothy hay all the way! :)

Ohhh didn't realize you were in Canada. Sorry, yeah she doesn't ship to Canada, I think it has something to do with customs. If you can get hay(other than alfalfa) locally, that's great! I know some members here, do have access to that kind of fresh hay.

Oxbow is another good source for high quality food. Oxbow Animal Health | Home

skritters

Cavy Slave
well, LSP is only 6-7 months, and BMO's just 2-3. is alfalfa/higher calcium important during this time, or just not as detrimental? apparently the kibble they have now is alfalfa based, but should they/BMO be having alfalfa hay on top of that?

I hope it's okay me posting these questions here; I seem to have commandeered this thread! Apologies to the OP! I've also realized that there's a wealth of info on this site, so I'll do some searching. BUT if anyone DOES feel like answering, it's always appreciated :cheerful:

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
For pellets, I feed my girls a mixture of KMs Hayloft and Oxbow food. For hay, they get KMs 3rd cut Timothy and bluegrass. They have also enjoyed Oxbow's orchard grass.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
To clarify, all pigs, of any age should have the timothy based hay. Those up to 6 mths should have their diet supplemented with alfalfa to add that needed extra calcium.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
At the age of your pigs, you can switch to timothy.

As I understand it, the problem with KM shipping to Canada is the export/import restrictions. They used to ship there, but after the shipment was made, would get hit with Canadian duties and taxes that they hadn't billed the original customer for because they didn't know they were due. It would have made the hay/pellets way too expensive to have added those extra fees on, so they stopped all Canadian shipping.

Jakek

Cavy Slave
I recently changed from kaytee timothy hay to oxbow timothy hay. I was surprised that until then I hadn't noticed that they just pulled the kaytee out of the hay feeder and left it on the ground, but with oxbow they don't really waste any. Oxbow is not as stalky as kaytee either. I prefer Oxbow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.