Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Feeding Times

Sean52

Cavy Slave
I usually feed my guinea pig whenever I see its bowl empty, which is very often. I walk into its room a lot and about 99% of the time I walk in, its bowl is empty and I fill it to the brim. Should I be doing this?, When should i feed her?, Will she be overweight if I keep doing this?

Thanks,
Sean

I give my boys unlimited hay, 1/2 cup veggies each twice a day and only 1/8 cup pellets. I have noticed they tend to have pellets in their little bowls for most of the day. I think they get enough food otherwise and only nibble at the pellets from time to time.

I do not put veggies in the bowl, I simply give her vegetables with my hand throughout the day, mostly baby carrots. I put about 1/3 cup of food pellets in the bowl whenever I see it empty. I also give her about 1 - 2 small treats a day with unlimited hay. She has a chew tunnel which she doesn't chew on but loves running through.

i would give her less carrots....their so high in sugar they should only be a treat. they need a good spread of veggies especialy ones with a good amount of vitamn c..like green pepper...and leafy greens(romaine, red leaf, green leaf, etc.)

my 2 pigs only get 1/4 cup of pellets once a day and it lasts them till about the same time the next day

I feed my two girls Unlimited Hay, Their pellet hopper I fill half full every three to four days and it's never empty, and a good size salad every evening.

I've always fed my piggies unlimited pellets and hay plus a good salad and mine never have eatin more then a moderate amount of pellets, Maybe at most a 1/4 cup a day total.

Sean52, carrots are too high in sugar and vitamin A to be fed as a regular staple of the diet. Your pig needs bell peppers and lettuce to be sure it's getting enough vitamin C, as well as a variety of other things. How would you like to only be fed baby carrots?

Please read the sample menus here for a good idea of how to feed your pig a balanced diet: www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

Okay thanks everybody for the replies, I will certainly get some more fruits. I don't feed her just carrots, I also give her some fruit like apples and peaches. I will certainly more the pellet amount more carefully too. I have access to almost every fruit and vegetable you can think of because I live close to a warehouse that ships that kinda stuff. I love this site because it seems my questions are answered quickly and accurately by lots of pig geniuses. You guys should try making an app that's free for just this site for people on the go like me most of the time. Ill make sure to give all you guys thanks. If I have anymore questions ill make a new thread.

Look down the right-hand side of the screen. There are mobile apps that will access the forum listed there.

Just a caution about the fruit. The problem with fruit for guinea pigs is different than that for people. In people, we worry about cavities, obesity and diabetes. In pigs, while diabetes is a possible problem, the main concern is that too much sugar affects the balance of the food in the digestive tract. Guinea pigs are hind-gut fermenters, meaning that much of the work of digestion is done in the large intestine, rather than farther up the digestive tract in the mouth and stomach. If that balance gets out of whack, the pig can develop diarrhea or bloat, both serious problems for GPs.

So limit the fruit and sugary vegetables to just occasional tidbits, and instead feed leafy green vegetables, bell peppers and herbs. That sample menu link I gave you has some excellent information.

Okay thanks bpatters for the info. Last night after reading the replies I gave her some green pepper that she didn't eat until the next morning (after searching the cage to make sure it wasn't still in there or under the bedding). I'm definitely going to get a head of lettuce too. There sure is a lot to just feeding the guinea pigs. I will make some sort of chart or something for the feeding. Also the app thing I was talking about was that you guys should see if you could make a free one. Maybe your own app, not something in another major app. If you guys do make one make sure to message me. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.