Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Exclamation Wheeking?!?! Im concerned!!

My newest piggie i have had for nearly 3 months. Hes bonded with my othet piggie already. Everytime i try to pick my newest one up, he wheeks really LOUDLY, until i get him in my arms.And just now, he was sitting in his pigloo and i stuck my hand at the opening of it. He started walking toward my hand and i gently touched his nose/chin area, and he wheeked! I usually only stick my hand in there when i have their veggies, did he just wheek because he was disappionted i didnt have any?Also, when i touch him with anything, really, he wheeks! The vet said he doesnt have mites. Ive checked my newest for bumps or anything like that and he doesnt have any.So what is this?!?!? Just a fear of being touched?!

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Wheeking?!?! Im concerned!!

One of my girls is like this. She'll happily come up to me and take from my hands, but she absolutely hates being picked up, she almost shrieks at times. She's been checked over by the vet and treated for mites just incase. I think some piggies just dont like being picked up is all.

What I do now is use something else that I can herd her into, like a chube or box etc, making sure that she can't fall out when I lift it of course, then I put her in her playpen or on my lap from there.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,439 Rec'd/990 Posts
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Quoted
    696 Post(s)

One of my boys would do that when I would pick him up. It got to where I thought his underside was paining him. I brought him to the vet to make sure but she said everything checked out. I think some just don't like being picked up because like you said, once I had him out and on my lap, he was fine.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Ahhh thanks! That sounds just like him.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,491 Rec'd/1,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1096 Post(s)

I agree with the other posters........most piggies hate being picked up! But, once you have them securely in your hands and against your chest, they usually settle down. Chester's cage is at an odd angle and doesn't permit one to stick both hands in to pick him up. I reach in with one hand and put it under his belly, and those little back feet just fly until he's secure in my hands/arms.

Yes, some cavies will absolutely screech out of fear when a stranger picks them up. I love to visit pet stores to see what they have in stock, and a couple of the stores have open-top cages for people to interact with the cavies. On a couple of occasions, I have picked up one, only to have it screech so loudly as to be embarrassing. They usually get better as they get to know and trust you.

Cavies have such individual personalities that it's difficult to give you an answer. My boy is uber sensitive around his flank area and won't tolerate much pressure when being petted or handled. He's so ultra sensitive that I have taken him to the vet at least twice. Antibiotics and x-rays later, we have decided that he's just sensitive in those areas......like some of us have abnormally ticklish areas.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Yeah, I agree with the others, Evie when I first got her hated being picked up and is just now at 5weeks starting to wheek and talk to let me know exactly what she thinks about EVERYTHING. LOL But we also use the Chube method to pick her up sometimes to which I really think is less scary for them.
    Now she is just fine with being picked up as long as she has all four paws on my hand and level, I also do a lot of talking to her which I think helps. But it is to the point now that she hears my voice coming into the room and will wheek! wheek! Which I take as a sign of love LOL but I know she is probably just calling to me, saying HEY I WANT MORE FOOD!

7. "Thank you, knj240, for this useful post," says:

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,102 Rec'd/793 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

Sir Robin does this. He's scared of everything and everyone. I have had him for about 3 weeks now and just found out he has lice. =/ I wonder if this is not the reason for his wheeking and jumpiness.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    300 Rec'd/244 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

What did your vet do to lead him/her to believe your pig does not have mites? If your vet ruled out mites by doing a skin scraping, then they could have made a mistake. Skin scrapings are not an accurate way to diagnose mites, as they commonly show no mites when there is indeed an infestation.

If you have not treated your pig for mites yet, I would. It is prudent, safe, and could do the trick. Worst case, your pig doesn't have mites and you have treated to be safe. Have you seen any itching or "dandruff"?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

No, no itching or dandruff. Both of my pigs have been treated for mites
    thanks everyone! I'll be more educated on picking him up, as i probably frighten him!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,490 Rec'd/1,958 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Some guinea pigs are just talkers. My senior females purrs really loud anytime I put snacks in the cage. It's really funny. I always just figure they're telling me something when they're vocal.

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/235 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    Some guinea pigs are just talkers. My senior females purrs really loud anytime I put snacks in the cage. It's really funny. I always just figure they're telling me something when they're vocal.
    Yes pinky, I agree...like I have a girl named Cuddles and she too, is very vocal, very talkative. I use to think she was always upset, but have since learned that she expresses most of her emotions vocally...by "talking".

Cuddles also has many different types of "vocalizations" and it's taken many many long months trying to figure her little complex personality out. Cuddles is very aware and very smart. She is also, always the one to ask for breakfast or dinner, or for some more hay and pellets.

My other girl Buttercup is not very vocal at all.. she expresses herself in "physical" kinds of ways..like doing zoomies, popcorning, often coming out to greet me for some quick pets and just to say hello. She is much more relaxed and friendly and loves hearing my voice ( gets VERY excited and starts doing her zoomies) and often popcorns in response to hearing me.

They are both complete opposites, so it is nice to have that "comparison" between my girls, especially when I only have two piggies.

Thanks
    Thanks
    481 Rec'd/326 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

I read in a book, sorry can't remember the name, that they make that horriable screeching when you pick them up because it's a warning signal for the herd. Kind of like a beaver slapping his tail. We are giants to them and that means predator instincts kick in. I wish our piggies could all understand we love them and just want some lap time with them. Well except for those times I have to trim your nails and clean your boy bits!

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/235 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by allmypiggies View Post
    My newest piggie i have had for nearly 3 months. Hes bonded with my othet piggie already. Everytime i try to pick my newest one up, he wheeks really LOUDLY, until i get him in my arms.And just now, he was sitting in his pigloo and i stuck my hand at the opening of it. He started walking toward my hand and i gently touched his nose/chin area, and he wheeked! I usually only stick my hand in there when i have their veggies, did he just wheek because he was disappionted i didnt have any?Also, when i touch him with anything, really, he wheeks! The vet said he doesnt have mites. Ive checked my newest for bumps or anything like that and he doesnt have any.So what is this?!?!? Just a fear of being touched?!
    Don't you wish that there was such a thing as a "Piggie Language Translator?"

For understanding what all their vocalizations mean can be quite a challenge ! Especially confusing is that "all we have to go by"-- are some basic general "ideas" from you tube and the like, on what certain common vocalizations, mean. For instance: Wheeking has many different meanings--but keep it in context with what is going on in their environment, with what emotions they happen to be feeling, at the moment.

Wheeking can mean joy and enthusiasm. Or it can mean fear and anxiety. It can also mean excitement from like during a squabble between sows.

Since our guinea pigs all come with their own different personalities, it really boils down to this, in my opinion: Taking the time...having the patience...to get to know "your" individual piggies. Because they are born "prey animals" this is generally, a long commitment/investment....because it's in their nature, this basic "instinct" ( instinct has no thought, no logical reasoning, no emotion) to run and hide for their survival, or they will become someone's next meal. So it takes loads of time to establish a close enough bond, that they finally learn to "trust" you.

inĚstinct

1   [in-stingkt]

noun 1.an inborn pattern of activity or tendency to action common to a given biological species.

2.a natural or innate impulse, inclination, or tendency.

3.a natural aptitude or gift: an instinct for making money.

4.natural intuitive power.

If you would like, to hear a little more about my "journey" with my two girls, Teresa ( owner of site) put my "Bonding Breakthrough" thread in the Special Reference section on the forums page. If you do check it out, please let me know what you think !

P.S. By the way...this is just a guess for I don't know the whole context of his reactions to you, like what the surrounding environment was like at the time, but I think he could be wheeking in excitement to see you ! I don't think it is out of fear...but that is just a guess ! In time... if you give him your time, you will know yourself, what many his wheeking sounds mean.
    Last edited by kathlaaron; 10-19-11 at 01:53 am. Reason: correction

User Tag List