Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin It's Lice

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I noticed today that Eddy Pig is covered in lice. I'm not sure where he got it but I suspect that jumpy Sir Robin brought it in. Although I looked him and Ben over and didn't see anything but Eddy Pig is black and these bugs are white and moving and definitely bugs so they stand out really well on him!

I read over a few threads but there seem to be several different opinions ranging from bringing them to the vet to self treating at home with a variety of different treatments. I have used Oral Ivermectin on my rabbits before for ear mites and skin mites with great success but I was reading I should use topical ivermectin on lice? So is it oral or topical ivermectin for lice?

How crazy should I get on cleaning and sterilizing the cage? Bleach everything or just soap and hot water?

What dosage for ivermectin? Or where can I find a dosing chart? How long to treat?

Any shampoos that I can bathe them with as well to try to speed up the lice killing process?

Best place to buy ivermectin online?

Any other good information?

I have not noticed any extra scratching or odd behavior from any of the guinea pigs but there are defiantly a ton of bugs in Eddy Pig's fur. All 3 are eating and drinking normally.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear about your bugs! Hope somebody with experince jumps on here soon. Good luck!

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I was reading up on Advantage but I couldn't find if it was dog or cat Advantage?

[MENTION=19120]Hhbean[/MENTION] - Thank you. I'm sure we will be fine once the bugs are dead. Lol

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Ok back to ivermectin, do I want the pour on? Like this?

(broken link removed)

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Don't just "pour it on". Ivermectin needs to be dosed properly, not just applied liberally (that could kill a guinea pig). Please make sure your pig is large enough (Over 340g) before giving Ivermectin.

You need an accurate measurement of your pig's weight in order to determine dosage. My ivermectin use: Topically. Administer once a week, for 3 weeks. So, 3 treatments, each separated by 7 days. Here is the page I use for guidelines:

https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_topical.html

If you need help with dosage and such, feel free to ask, but the info is on that page. I administer the dosage (should only be a few drops out of a 1cc syringe) evenly on the bald patches behind their ears.

ETA: Others will have to speak to oral versus topical administration, but I have always used topical administration and it works wonderfully. Ivermectin is actually systemic, so I am not sure that how you administer really matters, as it is eventually distributed throughout the body anyways.

Last edited:

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Here is the Ivermectin I use: (broken link removed)

And yes, though it states injection, I apply this topically.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Yeah I read that part and saw the dosage charts on Guinealynx I was just making sure pour on was the right type. As long as pour on is good, we're good to go.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Here is the Ivermectin I use: (broken link removed)

And yes, though it states injection, I apply this topically.

OK, that's what I had for my rabbits. So it can be applied topically?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
OK, that's what I had for my rabbits. So it can be applied topically?

Yes, that may be applied topically. I can't find the concentration of the "pour-on", so that may need dilution prior to administration. If you use the 1%, you do not need to dilute, just weigh the pig, calculate dose, and treat!

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Simple enough. Thanks! I'm headed out right now to run errands and will stop and pick some up! =D

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Ah, enlarging the picture of the pour on shows the concentration, which is the same as what is listed in this GL link:

https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html

That is all you need to administer the pour-on, and it seems just as easy as using the injectable. Be sure to treat all of your pigs and to measure accurately.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Well, I got the injectable, I'll weigh and dose them after the kids go to bed. Poor little guinea pigs all covered in nasty bugs. =(

knj240

Cavy Slave
Oh No, Poor babies! I'm glad you were able to jump on things and get them something to treat it so quickly though and hopefully they will be feeling better in no time. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Well, they may have to wait until tomorrow. I forgot the injectable ivermectin needs a needle to get it out of the bottle! I'll see if my pharmacy will give me something, but I doubt it. I'm guessing my vet will sell/give me a needle. Any suggestions?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Shoot... I should have mentioned that part!

You *may* be able to get a needle and syringe for free at a nearby pharmacy. Maybe try a Walgreens or something, and explain that you need it for drawing ivermectin for your guinea pigs. Otherwise the vet should be able to help you out, no problem.

On the off chance you are in So Cal, send me a PM and I can give you one.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Nope Austin, Texas. Thank you though! I should have known better since I use to use it with my rabbits but the little things slip the memory. I'll get one from my vet tomorrow or maybe my dentist will give me one since I'm going in tomorrow morning. lol. That would be amusing. One more day, poor little guinea-guys though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.