Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage In need of advice about well...everything.

Sapherindrial

Cavy Slave
Hey, my name is Amy, I'm 16, and I absolutely adore my guinea pigs. I recently found this site and am currently working on reforming my erring ways in lieu of petstore cages (or as mentioned on here, "glorified litter boxes") and finding a better bedding (because petco's wood shavings just doesn't seem to be working out well). If anyone could give me me some pointers (especially regarding how to actually BUILD a cage) that would be awesome. I have two guinea pigs, a boy and a girl (the boy is actually my sisters but she has a monitor lizard in her room so I'd rather keep the pig in my room.)

Other details: my sister wants to breed the pigs, and while I'm okay with maybe one litter, I'm wondering what I should do afterwards. Obviously they need to be separated or I need to neuter the boy. I was thinking that if I have a baby girl I could stick it in with the mother so that they'll each have a buddy. Could I do that with the father as well? Except with a boy? Also my room is only so big so is there anyway I could have two cages, but like have one on top of the other?

Krelean

Cavy Slave
Make a C & C cage, there are directions on this site. You could have two fully compact 2x3 cages, super easy to do, but not likely to be fair for the pigs. Use fleece for bedding.
I would highly suggest refraining from breeding, there are hundreds of pigs out there that need homes-wouldn't it be better to find them homes instead of adding to the problem. I know babies are adorable, but it's just not fair :(

lissie

Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! And ditto the others on not breeding. There are many hundreds of guinea pigs that need good homes. If your sister wants babies, why not see if you can arrange with a nearby rescue to foster for them? They're always looking for good foster homes, and frequently have pregnant piggies who need good care. You could keep the mom, or one of the female babies.

And yes, you can put another male with the male you have.

jayval

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Just buy a C&C cage Kit...Its the easiest way, it comes with everything...All the pieces...See the store above....and scroll down, I have the small for my one pig...I also use carefresh bedding Ultra..I love it! Its a little expensive, but I never smell anything from the cage..I just spot clean everyday with a paper towel, and add a little more bedding in...Then a total cleaning once a week...
Good Luck!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can have big litters sometimes so you could end up with quite a few of them. Are you prepared to possibly care for a large number of guinea pigs? And what if they're all the same sex? The breeding of certain breeds can result in lethal guinea pigs which are often deaf and blind, have teeth problems, can be deformed with all sorts of medical issues. Your female can also have a difficult time delivering which could result in the death of her and the pups or require emergency vet care which is very expensive. There are so many guinea pigs that are euthanized and others waiting for homes, it's not responsible to intentionally breed them. Please talk your sister out of it.

Sapherindrial

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

Please don't breed your pigs. You are risking the life of your girl. Are they living in the same cage now?

Here's how to build a cage:
How to Make a C&C Cage

Breeding (and why you shouldn't)
Breeding Guinea Pigs

Also read these:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

hay

They are currently living in the same cage, but she is refusing his advances (however he's a skittish pig and doesn't make many to begin with). So so far, I don't believe any babies are being made. As for the cage, I'm working on it, I have my cubes already. Clearly I'm going to have to get another one soon as well.

z123carleigh

Cavy Slave
If they are living together, it's pretty much guaranteed that you have or will have a pregnant pig. It only takes a a minute and you can't watch them all the time! I would separate them. Also, if you don't have coroplast yet but can get some fleece and towels, you can just put the towels on the floor and the fleece on top. Then you can have two cages until you find a source for coroplast.

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
DSC_0559.jpgthis is how I stacked mine if you are thinking of doing this. the middle I use to hold their food/supplies. The front on the bottom is open so I can still reach in the bottom cage. I got my idea from this website. I started with just one cage and then I expanded up for the other. If you have questions let me know. I have a fleece liner system for bedding on the top cage and I use pine bedding for the boys as I don't have the money yet saved to get them fleece as they are new to my family as well but you can also make your own bedding using fleece and U-haul blankets, ask around. (www.[B]piggybedspreads.com) [/B]

Sapherindrial

Cavy Slave
If they are living together, it's pretty much guaranteed that you have or will have a pregnant pig. It only takes a a minute and you can't watch them all the time! I would separate them. Also, if you don't have coroplast yet but can get some fleece and towels, you can just put the towels on the floor and the fleece on top. Then you can have two cages until you find a source for coroplast.

yeah i gotcha, well i'm getting fleece and towels tomorrow, hopefully coroplast as well. Then I'll separate them. Question, should i get them both another buddy? I know they're herd animals, but the male has had experience getting bullied in the past (he used to live with two other males before i had him) and thus i don't know how he would take the stress of a new pig.

Sapherindrial

Cavy Slave
p.s., thanks Kelly91513, but i managed to find a way to make it all fit. :)

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
Great, I'd love to see pictures when its all finished! good luck with the building part. Your pigs will thank you for it in return of love. I myself have had a pig who had a birth (I didn't know she was preggers when i got her) and I was freaking out! It was stressful cause I thought she might die or the babies might die. Luckily she made it and the 2 babies are healthy. One is a girl and the other a boy so I put the girl with the mom and made another cage for the boy and then adopted him a male friend from a rescue. So far so good. Good luck with your pigs I hope you can find him a male friend so he isn't alone. Try to find one at a place where you can bring him to meet the pigs and let him pick his friend.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Would love to see pictures of your piggies!

I would hold off on getting your current piggies a same sex friend. Only because your girl may be pregnant and you may become overwhelmed with piggies.

Sapherindrial

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Would love to see pictures of your piggies!

I would hold off on getting your current piggies a same sex friend. Only because your girl may be pregnant and you may become overwhelmed with piggies.

how long should I wait before getting them a same sex friend?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
how long should I wait before getting them a same sex friend?

Wait to find out if she's pregnant. It's very likely that she is. Take her to a vet who can determine for sure if she is.

In the mean time, separate the two immediately. If you lucked out and she isn't pregnant, you don't want to find yourself in that situation by keeping them together any longer.

Sapherindrial

Cavy Slave
Wait to find out if she's pregnant. It's very likely that she is. Take her to a vet who can determine for sure if she is.

In the mean time, separate the two immediately. If you lucked out and she isn't pregnant, you don't want to find yourself in that situation by keeping them together any longer.

thanks! i really appreciate the advice! I will do just that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.