Thanks
    Thanks
    18 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yes Piggie Poo Taking Over Petco

I thought I would share this on here because it's such good news. A local rescue in Arizona and Utah called Piggie Poo recently teamed up with a Petco. The store gave up the second story of their building to the rescue to house the guinea pigs. That area will now be used as a permanent rescue location in the coming months.

The store even has plans of taking guinea pigs off the sale list. All guinea pig sales will be done through the rescue. I think this is so awesome and I'm really proud of the people who did it. So cool!

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,100 Rec'd/793 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

Re: Piggie Poo Taking Over Petco

Petco is so much better than Petsmart, they also work with rabbit rescues to find rabbits new homes here in Austin. Still wouldn't say either one is good but one step in the right direction is a start to something much better.

Thanks
    Thanks
    250 Rec'd/201 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

That's great news-esp if they stop selling and just do the adoptions.

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

That's good to hear. The Petco here in Vegas is also very helpful with guinea pig rescue.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    522 Rec'd/311 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

That is fantastic! Finally a bit of progress.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

This is Great news!! To bad we don't have a petco near us! Even our closest petsmart is over an hour away.

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Piggie Poo is really trying to make a difference! They work so hard and the pigs get the best care possiable. It's great that Petco is helping out, Piggie Poo has ALOT of very sweet pigs that need homes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    299 Rec'd/243 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

I would be interested to see if this was approved by Petco US, or if it was somehow the local store manager that made this happen with the rescue. Southern CA is full of Petcos, and full of pigs in rescues. It would be great for us to make similar progress!

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

You should contact Amanda amanda@piggiepoo.org. She is the president and founder of Piggie Poo. She is super nice and REALLY good at what she does. We have worked with CA rescues before and I'm sure she would be able to help get some more Petcos involved

10. "Thank you, guinea pony, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

That's such good news to hear! Yeah, Petco has taken a real step up to help out in my area, where very few shelters and no rescues will accept small animals. From what I know, there's a ferret rescue hiding somewhere around here, none of the no-kill rescues/shelters will accept small animals, and only a few open admission shelters will accept them. So one Petco out in a more rural area takes in animals to adopt and keeps them right at the front of the store, so you see them and their stories before you see the ones for sale. Maybe one day we can convince Petco to go animal free and adoption only. It may be a long way off, but they're showing a lot of promise all over the country to step up in a world that's becoming very much more supportive of adoption over breeding.

Congrats to Piggie Poo and I hope Petco keeps this trend going!

Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The petsmart in my area no longer sells small animals due to the fact that they teamed up with a local rescue. It is definately a step in the right direction. However, this is one store and as a corpertation, they still make money off mill bred babies, and a store that rescues will probably still profit. A rescuer will buy all supplies there and probably continue buying there, even though buying there still funds a cruel corperation. Remember, Petco let over 100 animals die in a flood instead of evacing them. Not trying to rain on your parade, but let's applaud them for what their doing right while still reminding them they are not there yet.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/87 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poisonapple88 View Post
    A local rescue in Arizona and Utah called Piggie Poo recently teamed up with a Petco.
    Is it only the petcos in AZ and UT? if so, which one in AZ?

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Petco vs PetSmart is really going to vary a lot by store. I work with a greyhound adoption group and they do meet n greets at both.

Petco in general loses a points with me in that 1) Their hermit crabs are in painted shells. They were most likely forced into these unhealthy shells that are designed to entice children. The humidity in their habitat is usually too dry, so they are basically suffocating. 2) They sell ferrets. They come from mills, and they're kept in these little dirty enclosures.

I've never seen ferrets at PetSmart, and their hermit crabs are in natural shells with moist cocofiber substrate. While unfortunately they do sell guinea pigs, they only sell one gender in each store, to prevent oopses. A store manager told me this when I asked why they only had males, and she told me which stores only carry females. I guess they also gained points with me when I was at my exotics vet on Friday, and there was a woman there from petsmart in uniform with a turtle. I heard her talking with a vet tech about how to treat him, and whether he can be well enough to sell, or should she adopt him out.

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Our "local" PetsMart doesn't sell dogs or cats, they take selections from nearby shelters and rotate through them. I can't say what condition their guinea pigs are in, nor the other animals, as I haven't been there since I got into guineas.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

No petsmarts sell dogs or cats!! Any dogs or cats you see come from local shelters! And as you have noticed they don't sell ferrets!! They don't sell ferrets rabbits or iguanas bc so many are abandoned and end up in shelters! The only petsmarts that have rabbits(and there are very few) are ones without a large rabbit population in shelters and all those rabbits are fixed before they arrive at the store. And like previously stated stores only sell either males or females! Not both
    and as far as the vet thing goes animals are supposed to be taken to the vet within 24 hrs if its something serious, and within a week if the animal has anything that didn't need immediate attention but isn't improving.
    I'm definitely not saying there isn't a need for improvement and I would prefer if they only took in all animals from shelters and a lot will vary on stores and wether they follow proper procedures!
    But I love that petco is working with the piggy shelter! I really do wish all petstores would stop selling pets from mills

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,241 Rec'd/993 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    771 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holly&Fred View Post
    So one Petco out in a more rural area takes in animals to adopt and keeps them right at the front of the store, so you see them and their stories before you see the ones for sale. !
    All the Petcos around here do that. But they charge money. So who gets the money? Petco. And when the people who "adopt" the animals buy the supplies there at Petco, who benefits? Petco. My Petco does the same thing, and when asked will say the money goes to rescues. Guess what? I'm the only guinea pig rescue in the area and I've yet to see a dime from Petco from the guinea pigs they've "adopted out".

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,241 Rec'd/993 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    771 Post(s)

Argh. I see this is an old thread. We have a policy here not to resurrect old threads. I'm closing this.

User Tag List