Thread: Healthy Homemade Recipe or 100% natural store bought treats?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Smile Healthy Homemade Recipe or 100% natural store bought treats?

I am looking for a nice, 100% natural homemade guinea pig treat recipe, OR some 100% natural store bought treats.Oxbow has some freeze-dried strawberrys, and bananas. I suppose that would be ok give my pigs. Has anyone tried those?But i was really looking for something i can make for them. Thanks!

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,102 Rec'd/793 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

Re: Healthy Homemade Recipe or 100% natural store bought treats?

Grapes. That's what we use in our house. They go crazy for grapes!

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I've had pigs that have loved both Strawberries as well as Bananas.
    Strawberries like Grapes have quite a bit of sugar although natural they are something I only fed as a treat a few times a month.
    And Bananas are fine to but if fed to much I've found can cause a tad bit of Constipation.

All I can say is all my pigs have loved this stuff just feed in moderation and you'll be fine.
    You said your looking for something you can make yourself?

Look at it like this you make their plate for them everyday/night don't ya that's making something for them.. That's showing your love for them and they know it every time you give their plate/bowl.

For an extra special treat fix them a plate of all their favorite Veggies and Fruits and watch them go nuts, Only done every couple of weeks will make their feeding time extra special.
    And you'll sit there wondering who's having the most fun?
    You watching them go extra crazy over their meal, Or they themselves trying to figure out what to eat next.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,544 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

They're better off not having anything that's been frozen or dried, let alone frozen dry. ;-) It concentrates the sugars to do that to the fruit, and the sugar isn't something good for them. (And my pigs may be weird but they don't particularly seem to like "sweet.") Freeze dried fruit is one of those things a company is marketing because they know people like to buy it, not because pigs appreciate it.

I know it's hard for humans to think of raw veggies as a "treat" but really, it's what they're the most into. My boyz seem particularly keen on things with stems, like parsley or cilantro. My guys also enjoy dill or basil. They're herby-boys!

Thanks
    Thanks
    250 Rec'd/201 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

Grapes and apple slices are big treat favorites here.
    I also buy the timothy hay cubes and give them as a treat and my pigs love them. I give them just once a week so they seem special and they push them around and chew them like crazy.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2033 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3821 Post(s)

Ditto blackarrow. Mine think dill is the most wonderful thing on earth, and one of them is wild about thyme. They both love basil, cilantro, and parsley, although they don't get much parsley. Other favorite (occasional) treats are blueberries, grapes, apple peelings, watermelon rind (boy, do they love that stuff!), and strawberry stems (won't eat the berries). Grape or cherry tomatoes are a huge hit, also.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    335 Rec'd/208 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I have to agree that the human idea of treats is "sweet". You have to change your view a bit and understand that, to a guinea pig, fresh grass, herbs like above-mentioned, a leaf of endive or escarole, etc. is a huge treat (and good for them !). Growing wheat grass is a lot of fun and easy to do. Mine go crazy over various clean forages from outside, like tall Timothy grass, strawberry & raspberry leaves or dandelion leaves and flowers. From non-sprayed/treated and clean areas only, of course !

User Tag List