Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First time Owner. Experiance = ...2 days =O

DylanReichert

Cavy Slave
Hi, So my name is Dylan. Im 16.
I just got my first two guinea pigs 2 days ago.
(if you would like to know about them, they are described on my profile;) )
Anyways, I know it has been ONLY 2 days..but Im really wondering..
When will they warm up to me?
They only come out when im gone or sleeping or Very..VERY silent
I know that is normal for the first week or so..
But.. im curious..
any storys or tips? What did YOU guys do to have your piggies trust you? :confused:

P.S They wont eat snacks yet. They wont eat or drink ANYTHING while im around.

Thank-You :D

LilPig

Cavy Slave
Dylan,
Try hand feeding them greens while holding them. Most piggies cant resist greens! If you can spend lots of time with them, start sitting next to the cage and just talk to them.
Give them time and they will warm up, unfortunately piggies dont speak human and don't understand that you're not going to eat em up or scare them for fun.
Congrats on the piggies!

DylanReichert

Cavy Slave
Thank you,
I will try that right now! :cheerful:
I cant wait until they dont run in thier hidey house at my presence lol :D

PinkBelly

Cavy Slave
when I first go my GPs I believe the first week I left them alone (I would say Hi when I would walk by their cage and when I feed them) and let them get use to their new home and sounds we make. After that week I would sit with them and let them eat a veggie out of my hand and let them smell my hand (they really wouldn't smell just kind of check if I had food and run away). I think at this point I started picking them up for lap time (was really hard to catch them ><). I've been doing this for almost 2 months and they both have just started letting me "kind of" pet their head. Also now they don't mind my hands and will lick it and touch their nose on my fingers.

I think if you just keep talking with them they will warm up to soon. Good Luck!

PickyPiggy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs do that even though I've had them for almost a year. It's not that they are afraid of me, It's just that they're afraid because of the loud sudden movement. After a while they'll realize who I am and come out, but will occasionally become frightened if I suddenly get up and come near them.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
They are still very scared of you and will need lots of time to get used to you -- this could mean a month to several months. You should talk to them whenever you pass the cage, spend time cleaning dirty bedding and straightening up food bowls, hand-feeding vegetables or small pieces of fruit (fruit is a once or twice a week treat and should be fed in small amounts).

Remember that vegetables should be fed daily (about one cup per guinea pig). Refer to this list for recommended veggies:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html.

When you're cleaning the cage, try to give them little pets or chin rubs. If they shy away, don't press it. They'll come when they're ready. You could also try to pick them up. Gentle and quiet handling when wrapped loosely in a towel or in a cuddle cup will help them get used to you, as well.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.