Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties My new babies Roxie and Pixie in new cage built from a coffee table.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that is the one fact that really bothers me, over everything else. A 3 year life span ? I DO get so very attached to my animals, that I just don't know if my heart could bear it- losing them so quickly, for 3 years is not a very long life-span. :weepy:

Judypie

Cavy Slave
OKAY, I just adopted an older boy. I couldn't resist when they said he was just dumped. He is handicapped with only one eye as well but he was so sweet I couldn't resist. He came with a small cage and I just cant wait to build him his own place. I am being very cautious right now because he is taking food threw the bars very fast and well not nicely, could it be he didnt get treats before? I have not held him yet because I had to go to work and I think it was good he could just check out his new surroundings for the day. In the morning I am going to try and see how friendly he is. He was very nice with my hands in the cage fixing his water bottle and when I put my fingers to the wire he doesn't try to bite. I will put up photos in the morning. Anybody have suggestions how slowly to introduce myself to be trusted with an older male? And if he is in the cage next to the girls is it going to drive him crazy? Will he be upset if he smells the girls on me? I guess I have a few too many questions lol.. I have been reading lots of information on them. Sometimes we still cant get enough answers.
Thanks.

Judypie

Cavy Slave
The photos of the new guy , see his one eye... I have no story on how this happened of course since his previous owner just dumped him outside in this little cage. I think I may take him to the vet just to make sure about his eye and see if they can estimate his Age for me. This morning the girls were going nuts when I let them out to play , trying to get to his cage which I have up high. I don't want them getting to close and risk and biting threw the bars since I have no idea how that would go. Then I put the girls away and moved him to my desk while I did my emails and I talked to him the whole time and put my hand near the bars to let him sniff me. I suppose I was to afraid to try and let him out just yet and Tomorrow I have off work and could prepare for what ever may happen. I would hate to open the cage and he runs away. I would like to make sure he cant get lost first. My barriers are barly tall enough to keep the girls in the room during play time. I would appreciate any comments of advise. I will continue to research it myself on line.
P1010951.jpgP1010953.jpg

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
He looks like such a nice boy. Thank you for taking him.
A suggestion: When you have time. Take the cage into the bathroom. Sit the cage down with the door open. You sit next to the cage and talk to him. Be close enough when he comes out he has to explore you. maybe come out on your lap. Go slow and see if he will let you pet him. Watch his reaction to your hand. His reactions may give you a clue to see if he was abused. Give him a treat, all the while talking softly to him. Let his reactions guide you to how much you can pet him. He may be totally tame.

Doing this in the bathroom he can't run far or hide far.

Good luck and keep us posted.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Wow Suzi, you give such GREAT advice !:)

Judypie...I love how you rescued him and how you took him with you to your computer desk and "talked sweetness" to him...you seem to really have a way with animals !:heart: I think it is only being smart and wise to pick a day when you have off, to allow him out for your first "real" encounter with one another. ( for you never really know what could happen, and being prepared is GOOD)

Good luck to you and I too, look forward to hearing how your time tomorrow goes !

Judypie

Cavy Slave
Well it went very well I think this morning. I have my office Rat proofed for the girls already so I just put his cage in the middle of the room and opened the door. I sat there a while and let him come out by himself just letting him sniff me. I really wanted to get his cage cleaned so I put my hands under him and as I moved him to the side he squeaked as if to say he was scared but did not try to bite me. As qickly as I could with out scaring him I got the stupid shavings out of there. I heard the cedar and pine shavings are bad for Rats and I am using a thick towel with fleece sewn on it just like I do for my Guinea pigs. I will see how this works. So far he seams to not mind it at all and is sleeping on it right now.
I will do more with him in my lap this evening. He seamed to enjoy the petting and never once tried to bite or act like it. My girl rats appeared jealous and I am going to have to make enough time for seperate love as to not get them together. I dont need any babies :)

Judypie

Cavy Slave
Strange behavior: This morning I fed him his breakfast: (broken link removed), some Cilantro, Green pepper, and a few cooked Pinto Beans in the breakfast dish. I just looked in his cage and was going to put some extra food in his Day bowel and saw he placed all the Pinto Beans in the Day bowel with the Lab blocks. and a few Poops. What do you make of this?? is this a message he hates the Lab blocks now and the Pinto Beans .. LOL

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Rats like to save some food for later. They will hoard and sometimes have several spots to put their goodies. When you clean out their cage always save and put back some of their saved treasures.

Rats will litter train very easy. I see from your picture, he is in a store bought cage. Not sure if you would have room to put in a corner litter pan. Rats can be trained to go in the pan.
My daughter had a rat mansion. It was 4 stories tall. The bottom had the litter pans. she hung cloth hammocks on every other story. The rats loved them. Slept in them, stored their goodies in them. She had 4 rats. Sometimes all 4 would be in one hammock sleeping on each other. They love soft cloth, towels to cuddle in.
Glad he is doing so well. I miss the rats. Would love to have more one day.

I still have that rat mansionand the huge ferrett cage. I have meant to donate them.

Judypie

Cavy Slave
Yes he is in a small store bought cage. This cage came with him at adoption time. I planed to make the 2 girl rats I have, a newer bigger cage and he will go in the coffee table one I built for the girls.
I can clearly see what you are saying about the hiding of snacks for latter. I did eventually see him eating the pinto beans. (however not the lab blocks) I am not worried about that since the rat diet molasses mix is a huge hit.
I am hoping that since he has been in this small cage for (I don't even know how long), that he will enjoy the bigger cage and wont have any trouble climbing

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
He will know how to climb. Rats like piggies love friends. Once he gets very tame with you.
Give him lots of love. He will be glad for the company. I don't know if I gave it to you before, (broken link removed) is a great site for all things rats.
Did you give him a name? He is such a pretty/handsome guy.

P.S. I use to live in Carpenterville. 1966-1969 Went to Dundee High School before it merged with Crown.

Jaclyn Rey

Cavy Slave
neat!! rats ! :/

Judypie

Cavy Slave
Well I havent updated this in a while. I did build the new cage and they all love it. The girls get the whole left side and the top right and Pinto has the bottom right. They can see each other threw a window I put in and can sniff each other too but they cant break in to make any babies :)
I also had quite the break threw with Pinto, he is the most loving, sweet, Rat.. so I am putting up the video I made of him and I. I know I sound really silly in the video but he really is my good boy and I love him.

P1010979.jpgP1010980.jpgP1010981.jpgP1010984.jpg

[video=youtube;gikG7PFBllU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gikG7PFBllU[/video]

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
Aww! That's an awesome cage! lol And you talk to your rats like I talk to my piggies! :p

Lyonmom

Cavy Slave
Cute and very creative!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.