Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

MOBILE APPS for our FORUM available: TapaTalk and Forum Runner

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
tapatalk-90.png forum-runner-90.png

We now have two new MOBILE applications for accessing the GPC forum from smart phones.

TapaTalk ($2.99 from the app store, $3.99 for Blackberry) and
Forum Runner ($1.99) from the app store.

Tapatalk:iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android, webOS, Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry
Forum Runner:iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android

I will posting a poll so that you can vote on which one you prefer (IF) you have both. I've purchased both and they seem pretty comparable. But, on another techie forum, their users supposedly prefer TapaTalk (which I believe has more market share for supporting more forums).

These two applications are not specific nor unique to the GPC forum, but allow you to more easily read and post on a variety of supported forums. So, it's possible that you may already own either one. In that case, you already know how it works and you can now get to our forum!

On Tapatalk, we are in this Category:
Aquarium & Animals > Pets

On Forum Runner, we are in this Category:
Recreation > Pets

Until we get more popular, you'll need to search for our forum by name or by date (recently added) within those categories. Or just do a general search on Cages or Guinea Pigs.

GPC does not receive any money from the purchase of these apps. The proceeds to the application developers.

GPC-Mobile-icon.png

Also, neither app will work on our Photo Gallery. It's just for the forum, although you can upload images to forum posts.

Last edited:

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
I was just looking for it the other day and was not able to find it... But I just did!! YAY

Last edited:

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Are these programs for smart phones or are they for windows mobile as well?

Madyson

Cavy Slave
Thank you for sharing - just what I needed for my iPad! :cheerful:

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ive got a Blackberry so I'd be interested but it would be helpful to be able to try them out just to see which one works better for us.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ive got a Blackberry so I'd be interested but it would be helpful to be able to try them out just to see which one works better for us.
Look at my detailed write-ups on each one. The links are in the first post of this thread. It looks like the Forum Runner version may have a free version, maybe you can read but not login, I'm not sure. I didn't try that, I just bought both of them. I figure you can get both of them for about the price of Latte at Starbucks, so I didn't worry about it too much. But better not to waste $2 or $3 if you don't have to.

Now that I know some people will be using them, I'll start a poll thread and ask people to comment on which one they prefer and why. That may help you decide.

Are these programs for smart phones or are they for windows mobile as well?
I don't know the difference well enough to answer you. I don't use windows stuff anymore. I'm a Mac girl all the way, so I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can step in and answer that. One of them supports WebOS and the Windows 7 Phone, not sure if that qualifies.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Forgot to add, that if you have a blackberry, I believe you'll need to go with Tapatalk. I don't think that Forum Runner supports the blackberry.

Tapatalk:
iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android, webOS, Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry
Forum Runner:iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Forgot to add, that if you have a blackberry, I believe you'll need to go with Tapatalk. I don't think that Forum Runner supports the blackberry.

Tapatalk:
iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android, webOS, Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry
Forum Runner:
iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android

Ahhh well, that does make a difference! LOL It looks like Tapa supports all the same ones that Forum does but Forum doesnt support all that Tapa does. So it seems like it would make more sound sense to offer Tapa since more people would be able to use it (including those who could use Forum).

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ahhh well, that does make a difference! LOL It looks like Tapa supports all the same ones that Forum does but Forum doesnt support all that Tapa does. So it seems like it would make more sound sense to offer Tapa since more people would be able to use it (including those who could use Forum).

I offer both of them, it's up to you to decide which one you like better. Plus, these apps support MANY, MANY other forums. So, some people will already have one or the other and be using it. And their functionality is a little different. Forum Runner may not be the bigger player, but they offer push notification of posts and such that you can configure.

So, it's not a black and white decision. Plus, software vendor-wise, it's never a good thing to put all your eggs in one basket if you can avoid it.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ohhhhh I misunderstood! I thought you were trying to get a feel for which one people would prefer because you were going to offer one or the other.

Will there be a way to download one where the money would go to support THIS forum?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ohhhhh I misunderstood! I thought you were trying to get a feel for which one people would prefer because you were going to offer one or the other.

Will there be a way to download one where the money would go to support THIS forum?

I need to put a link in the top post to the main thread explaining all this already (https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ur-forum-available-tapatalk-forum-runner.html)

But, no, the money does NOT go to the site or me, it goes to the application developers. I could spend a few hundred dollars first and rebrand it to me and then collect the application fee or offer it for free, but I decided it definitely wasn't worth the investment or headache. I have other things I'm working on that are much more important. So, it is what it is. I still think it's pretty cool.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I just checked my Blackberry AppWorld and TapaTalk is $3.99

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Okay, I'll update the prices on the post. I was just going by what they have on their site. Thanks!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I just got TapaTalk and it works great! The font is large and easy to read. It's much easier to do than logging onto the website from my phone.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I just got TapaTalk and it works great! The font is large and easy to read. It's much easier to do than logging onto the website from my phone.
AWESOME!! I am really glad to hear it. I pretty much live on my laptop, but I know a lot of people these days use their phones, so I'm wanting to move with the times and give you what you need. Really glad to hear that it's helpful.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay, I've played with it a little more and here's my rundown of it:

TapaTalk has almost all the same functionality as this site does. You can scroll through the threads in the forum and reply to them. You can access new and unread topics. You can see topics you've participated in and subscribed to. You can search topics and posts and send/receive PMs.

So far I haven't seen where you can look at your (or anyone else's) profile. I don't think there's a way to see photos (although avatars do show up in threads).

Overall, it's very close to what we can access on our computers.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
I am using the free version of the forum runner on my Iphone. It is great to read thread but if you want to be able to reply uou need to get the full version

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Okay, I've played with it a little more and here's my rundown of it:

TapaTalk has almost all the same functionality as this site does. You can scroll through the threads in the forum and reply to them. You can access new and unread topics. You can see topics you've participated in and subscribed to. You can search topics and posts and send/receive PMs.

So far I haven't seen where you can look at your (or anyone else's) profile. I don't think there's a way to see photos (although avatars do show up in threads).

Overall, it's very close to what we can access on our computers.

You can see photos/albums on the free forum runner's version but cant comment

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Skinnyguineaus, have you voted in the poll thread? You can vote there and comment about what you think of Forum Runner. It might be helpful to those deciding if they want to get it.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.