Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Veggies once or twice daily?

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Right now I feed my 3 boys 1/2 cup each of veggies twice a day.
I know they need a cup each daily.

I am thinking of going to once day instead of breakfast and dinner.
Is this a good idea?

Would love to hear your thoughts and more about your schedule.

1 cup once a day is ok... the only problem is that your veggies won't be as fresh as if you broke up that into 2 servings - they will not finish the whole cup at once. Cutting the intake to half a cup is only a good idea if you are looking for more pellet intake (weight gain needed).

Like skinnyguineaus said, it would probably be okay but the veggies would be as fresh.

I give my guinea pigs two servings, one small one in the morning(about 1/4 cup each) and a larger one at dinner time(about 1 cup each). Also, I sometimes give them a small treat before I go to bed.

I like feeding my guinea pig twice daily because it fits with my schedule and I know she is never hungry. She gets cilantro every morning because it has a lot of Vitamin C, and then her lettuce and green bell pepper at night. So she gets a high in Vitamin C veggie in the morning and at night. She also gets a treat of apple now and then when I snack on one, or some carrot in the morning. I refill her pellets in the morning so she can munch on them while I'm at school.

I think there are plenty of pigs who, for one reason or another, only get their veggies once a day. As long as they have plenty of hay all the time, they should be ok.

But as a tip, let me say that it's far easier to make up several meals, put them in the fridge, and just pull them out as you need them than to make meals twice a day. Some veggies will last several days that way, while others need to be added just before serving -- for instance, cut tomatoes will make everything else soggy, and sliced bell peppers may make them slimy. But if you store those separately, by themselves, you can just pitch in what you need.

Since cavies are constant foragers, splitting up veggies into two or more feedings per day is preferable to having one veggie meal a day. I've done what bpatters suggested for years and it's easy to do.

I have always feed mine twice a day but now that I have put them all in the same cage, Charlie (non bonded piggy) is not getting to the food dish easily because George (dominate of my bonded pair) is doing his dominance thing.
Tonight I feed Charlie separately. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of time in the mornings and won't be able to feed him separately for breakfast.

I think I will feed them all together in the morning, let Charlie "get in where he can fit in" and then in the evenings I will feed him outside the cage to make sure he is getting his fill.

I have always feed mine twice a day but now that I have put them all in the same cage, Charlie (non bonded piggy) is not getting to the food dish easily because George (dominate of my bonded pair) is doing his dominance thing.
Tonight I feed Charlie separately. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of time in the mornings and won't be able to feed him separately for breakfast.

Try not to take him out of his cage... The dance around the bowl is part of the dominance ritual and even if lasts a couple of days it still needs to happen. You cant always help Charlie eat... He has to figure this out

I think I will feed them all together in the morning, let Charlie "get in where he can fit in" and then in the evenings I will feed him outside the cage to make sure he is getting his fill.

You might do as I do. With four pigs, two of whom are really greedy, I scatter food in various parts of the cage so everyone can get some. Two of my girls sit on top of hidey boxes and beg to be fed there. The less agressive two grab their prizes and go into hideys to eat. I make sure to put some food just outside of the hideys so they can reach it with ease.

You might do as I do. With four pigs, two of whom are really greedy, I scatter food in various parts of the cage so everyone can get some. Two of my girls sit on top of hidey boxes and beg to be fed there. The less agressive two grab their prizes and go into hideys to eat. I make sure to put some food just outside of the hideys so they can reach it with ease.

I put their bowls at opposite ends of the cage this morning for breakfast and so far it seems to be working.
George and Patch are at their bowl and Charlie is at the other. I will pay close attention to Charlie through this process because I have not been happy with his weight this month (he has dropped a little). The vet said it is probably because he is more active now with the floor time daily and Patch chasing him around.

Hopefully the opposite ends of the cage meals will continue to work till dominance is well established.

i dont understand the persom was sale guinea pig ... give to me i got them 3days ago, umm they told me feed them daily leafy green ...i said okay in my mind alike ?? i view to ppl feed twice daily but which is truth do feed what?...... I have ready (KAYTEE) is western timothy hay and timothy complete.
what feed fresh vegs / fruits rule ? i not want guinea pigs got anything spoil i feed ..i am so scary, and CUZ I AM FIRST TIME GOT IT PIGGYS IS 1 MONTH AND A HALF OLD. THNKS ALL OF U..HOPE ALL U WILL HELP ME OR ADVICE ME OR TEACH ME...

Aww i think i send u mistake..i look for send to anyone ?? Oops sorry

lovelearnmore3, you posted it in the right place. But it's hard to understand what you're asking. If you could work a little on writing clearer sentences and using punctuation, it would help us answer your questions.

I think you're asking what your pig can eat. Here's what it needs:

1) Grass hay, all the time, as much as it wants. Grass hays are timothy, bluegrass, orchard grass and brome. You can buy it in small packages at a pet store, but that's absolutely the most expensive way to get it. If you have someplace to store it (garage or closet), you can order larger boxes and get it cheaper.

2) Fresh water, all the time.

3) One-eighth to one-fourth cup of pellets per pig per day. Don't buy the pellets with the colored stuff and the seeds in it -- that's crap. If your pig is under 6 months old, Oxbow Cavy Performance is an excellent choice. If it's over 6 months, Oxbow Cavy Cuisine or Kleenmama's pellets are very good choices.

4) One cup of vegetables per pig per day, plus a few lettuce leaves. They need green vegetables because their bodies don't make vitamin C. A large lettuce leaf and some cilantro, plus one-eighth to one-fourth bell pepper, depending on the size of the pepper, will be a good foundation for the veggies. You can also add a slice each of tomato, cucumber, zucchini, and a baby carrot, a few green beans, dill, basil, thyme, and corn husks and silks. See this thread -- https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html -- for how often they can be fed different foods.

You're welcome to post back here if you have any questions.

bpatters, yes that right....thanks... so do i wrong buy timothy colopete? the person who sale was said to me anything buy it for guinea pigs pellete? make me feel alike toolate buy it already have it , so i will buy again ( Oxbow Cavy Performance) something good pellets cuz my guinea pig is very under age. do still everyday feed fresh vegs /fruits ?? thnks smilee

bpatters, i am sorry bad explain english sentence make not clean understand...sighs sad : ( i need more learn sentence right ways) thks.

lovelearnmore3, you're fine -- we'll figure out the language. I didn't realize English wasn't your first language, and just assumed that you weren't taking the time to write clearly. I apologize.

I wouldn't buy anything just because someone is trying to sell it to you. Pet stores and departments are full of things that are awful for guinea pigs. Instead, come here and read and ask questions, and we'll help you figure what's best for your pet.

If your guinea pig isn't six months old yet, then yes, it does need Oxbow Cavy Performance. And yes, it does need vegetables every day, and all the hay it will eat.

If it (is it a boy or a girl? and what's its name?) doesn't like the vegetables, then chop them very fine and sprinkle them on the pellets. Start with red or green leaf lettuce for a week, then add green bell pepper. Pigs usually love cilantro, so you might try just giving that. It's a good food for hand-feeding your pig while it's sitting on your lap.

bpatters, thanks for ur undertsnad abt my not well language and it okay.

my guinea pigs under age ...it 1 month old and ahalf, them is boys.

how much time i feeding them ? and feed them a week fresh vegs?? what abt fruits??

booboo and shagy them names.

thank you so much for ur help i will keep come here check always cuz piggys is my first time and i not want happen to them lose ours love. smile

hey bpatters, all ur guinea pigs so so cute the icon on ur profile.

Read post #13 in this thread for what you should feed, and how often you should feed it. You can give vegetables twice a day or only once, whatever you want. Only give a little bit of fruit once or twice a week.

bpatters, thank you. i was give them 3 days fresh ( romaine , cilantro,) and do give them carrot and apple thal all, how i find a list vegs and fruit right ways for guinea pigs and please no spoil them get crap or gas or diarrs and not feel well, i not want to. anyway thank u! again smile

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.