Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Piggies

RazpberryPiggy

Cavy Slave
My two pigs have been together for a year and a half now, and they fought when they were in their first cage, a tiny pet-store one. But now I've moved them into a 2x4 C&C cage, which I thought would have solved the issue seeing as how there is more space and they can have their "alone time". It hasn't worked because they are still fighting. Yesterday when I was visiting with them, I noticed a small bald spot and a gash on my smallest pigs back. Does anyone have any idea what to do? I don't want to seperate them unless it is a last resort. Thanks.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Was the bald spot bloody, like her had been bit? Are they agressive when you watch them? I would have him treated for mites.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I would treat them for mites. Parasites can make them irritatable and cause bloody sores that may be mistaken for bite marks or war wounds.

RazpberryPiggy

Cavy Slave
Well the scratch had scabbed over when I found it. Sometimes my older pig, Lilly, will nip at the younger one, Ebony. I think that its just a dominance thing thats going on. Though I will take your guys' advice and treat them for mites. Thanks

ittybitty

Cavy Slave
i have 3 females the mid aged one had a balding spot on its butt with choppy looking hair the got some nip looking soars on shoulders. i took it to a small animal vet and found out one of the other pigs was just picking on it and giving it a bad hair cut. that was last summer. she is still kicking and a treat hog as ever. my youngest has just come up with some nip marks. i will have had her a year this july, i think she is testing the oldest. whom has never had a soar or bad hair cut in her life. i figure my heard has been together for a year where could mites come from? not bedding they can only come from a newcomer, and that i have not. have you ever seen a photo of a pig with mites or fungal problem. the vet got out a book and showed me. it looks like really bad dandruff with red skin ....well bad looking. i figure my three will figure it out.

littlebear

Cavy Slave
My comment on this is to see a vet to get some help and yes I would get him treated for mites. And you realy should think about keeping them appart because sometimes it could just be the guinea pig's nature. Also you should keep and eye out for bald spots on your pig legs because I read up that it can also be a cause of fighting.

ittybitty

Cavy Slave
i thought pigs herded and packed by nature and they have a social structure. i have read they have mourned when a pack member has died and in south america they will live in packs wild out side of some folks houses that put out vegetable waste for them. it is recomended to have more than one because they are very social and they desire interaction. why would we isolate one? has anyone had a pig kill another one? i can see a small male taking beating from a big one over a feamale in heat.

Katie

Cavy Slave
ittybitty- Stress causes mites. If any of your pigs are stressed out, even the slightest, they can get mites. Mites do not always come from new pigs. The picture your vet showed you was a picture of a pig with a severe case of mites. Mites start out as slight hairloss, itching, and biting. If left untreated for months, it will look like the pictures you were showed.

Ittybitty and Razpberry-
Have you treated them for mites?

Do they have enough space and lots of hay to chew on?

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
Make sure there are at least 2 hidey houses in your C&C cage. I find that a towel draped over part of it (a 1x2 or 2x2 section) helps a lot. You can fasten the towel with binder clips to keep the piggies from chewing or climbing on it. Have you thought about adding a loft for even more "get away" space?
Take both pigs to the vet to get them treated for mites-better safe than sorry. Other than that, try a buddy bath to see if the 2 will get along.

RazpberryPiggy

Cavy Slave
I haven't had them treated yet. I'm planning on taking them to the vet as soon as I can before I start giving them medication that I don't know a thing about.

They just got a brand new C&C cage.. 2x4 with two pigloos in it. They always have hay out in a rack or on the floor. Hopefully this answered some of your guys' questions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.