Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Enormous Loss Of Hair

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
I noticed during feeding tonight that my oldest guinea pig (lola) has lost a huge amount of hair on her back. She lives with 1 female but I havent noticed any fighting. I haven't looked too close because I am afraid she is in pain. I have done so much research but I can't determine what it really is. I am very worried. I can't post a picture because they are on my phone and I am not phone smart.

* Just Looked Closley and There is Something That Looks Like Dandruff.
(Hope this helps a little)

Last edited:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
It sounds very possible that your piggie has running lice or mites. Here is the guinea lynx web site link on both...they have photo's which may help you determine too...however, I believe from your description, it is mites. Treat with Invermectin, following the instructions ( precisely) on guinea lynx. Hope your piggie feels better soon !

https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

https://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html

Last edited:

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Im very scared because they have never had it before. Let alone ever have been sick. Should I treat ALL of the pigs in the cage with her?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
YES ! ( You are VERY welcome my dear !)

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
You probably have lice. My two girls had lice before and I treated it myself and its all gone now! Good luck!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's more likely they have mites than lice. If she's in pain when touched it's probably mites. Ivermectin or Revolution will take care of them.

Since we aren't actually seeing the pig, though, it may be a good idea to take her to a cavy knowledgeable vet. It's possible there's something else going on. Ovarian cysts can cause hair loss, as well as diabetes.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I used Ivermectin and it worked great :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.