Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dandelion Greens

Hi everyone.

I'm new to guinea pigs... well, I had one when I was like 8 or 9 but now I'm 27!! Getting one for my two and a half year old. I am doing tons of research though. But I'm curious of the dandelion greens because I don't want to make a mistake.

Dandelion greens: These are the yellow flowers that grow in your yard, yes? And you can just pull them up and feed them to the pigs?!

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator suzilovespiggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    353 Rec'd/255 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Re: Dandelion Greens

Welcome back to the world of GPs! This is a great site for information and research.
    With the dandelion greens as with all herbs, they can have no pesticides on them.
    In the diet/nutrition site ly&pigs has a wonderful chart for foods. When to feed, how much, how often.
    Including what is safe and what is posionous. Check it out. www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...tml#post254730

In looking for adoption. Piggies love friends. Maybe consider getting a pair? Check your local shelter or rescue. Petfinder.com Looking forward to chats and pictures. Keep us posted!

New Zealand North Island, near Wellington
    Thanks
    Thanks
    94 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Hi there and welcome,

There are several kinds of weeds that grow commonly in yards, 3 main kinds that are easily mistaken for dandelion's. Both the other kinds are neurotoxins so you'll need to make SURE you have a Dandelion and not one of the other kinds. Dandelions are distinctive but they can easily be mistaken if you are not completely sure of what you have there.

Pull up a whole plant, with flower, and take it to a medical herbalist, would be your surest bet for a correct identification, or to a knowledgeable garden center (not just any garden center as some of the staff have one name for 5 things all unrelated!)

Yes you can feed the greens and my piggie snatches them off me and tears off with them. My piggie likes the flowers but not so much as the leaves. He adores them.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I feed dandelions but make sure I balance feeding them with lower calcium veggies.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,432 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

They are ok for a couple times a week treat in small amounts as they are high in calcium. The flowers, stem and leaves can all be eaten.

User Tag List