Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Should there be a constant supply of food besides hay?

logansmomma1228

Cavy Slave
I just got some veggies today for my piggie. I got home and gave her some of a grape tomato which she loved!

Then I realized that I have her food bowl full of pellets and I am not sure if I should just leave it there for her.

I have been reading so much on this that some of it is blurry so I am asking questions as I go.

She has been eating lots of hay but it doesn't seem like she has eaten too many pellets. Could be because I gave her a bowl full. It's a smaller bowl, I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

Also, every time I try to read the newb sticky on single threads it says I am not allowed to access the page, so please forgive me if I am starting too many threads. I'm browsing through but not finding the specific things I'm looking for.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
How old is she? Pigs under 6 months can have unlimited pellets but over 6 months should be limited. Hay is the primary diet, followed by a well rounded veggie list and pellets are the least of the diet.

Her eating hay over pellets is a very good thing. :)

logansmomma1228

Cavy Slave
I am not sure how old she is but I am starting to think she is very young because she is quite small compared to other guineas I have seen in pictures. I want to weigh her soon to try and find out. Maybe I will call the pet store and see if they know.

I have been giving her celery, cucumbr and grape tomatoes to tide her over until today so I can get some more veggies. I got some carrots yesterday to help switch it up a little bit.

Thanks for your reply! I will make sure to watch how much she's eating though, I filled the small bowl up on Thursday when I got her and she has eaten about half of it .

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
You should really get some sort of leafy green incorporated into her diet ASAP. Leafy greens should be the bulk of the veggie diet. Try adding some green leaf and red leaf lettuce along with some bell peppers.

What kind of pellets are you feeding?

logansmomma1228

Cavy Slave
I picked up some romaine and various peppers today with some snap peas, she loves it!

The pellets are Vita Prima Guinea Pig Formula with spirulina and papaya mixed in.

LilPig

Cavy Slave
I second the notion to get her on a leafy green of some sort. I usually give my piggies a mixture of spinach, kale, red romaine and green romaine plus dandelion greens and some organic field greens. Then I top it with sliced bell peppers (green & yellow usually) and grape tomatoes from my garden. Carrots are always a treat because they have a bit more sugar in them than other veggies.

Knowing that you are from Michigan I would say shop at Meijer (if there is one locally where you are). I can walk out of their produce section with OODLES of fresh greens for less than 10 dollars and you absolutely cannot beat the freshness & selection of their produce.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The pellets are Vita Prima Guinea Pig Formula with spirulina and papaya mixed in.
This isn't a very good pellet brand at all. Please consider something healthier such as KM's, Oxbow or Sweet Meadow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.