Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Europe Good morning from Greece

Evangela

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much. Nothing to be scared about, just enjoy them. This site will help with your guestion on feeding and anything else you may want to know. You will learn by trial and error as I did. If I can be of any help, please let me know!

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks fine and what you did, with removing the top was a great idea! And making a second level is even better! I cant wait to see it when its finished! Make sure to post pics!! As far as the size goes, the size is fine for 3 piggys! To your question about 3 guinea pigs vs. 2 guinea pigs, I have personal experiance on this one. I went from 2 guinea pigs to 4 guinea pigs within the same week and I have to say, it is no different besides having to fill there bowl a little more often and hvaing to give a little more water more often, other than that, everything is the same. The only noticable thing Id say is vet bills, you would have 3 instead of two so thats an extra change on one having to go to the vet but its unlikely if they stay healthy,ect. So I doubt you would even be able to tell the difference in having just the two or having three. Thats my opinion! I love having my 4, keeps things interesting lol

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hi Faye,

wow! things have moved along for you in a big way, how nice that your Father cared to help by giving you a nice big cage! I really wish you all the best when your girls arrive... Caring for a guinea pig is THE most wonderful experience I have had. I adore Maximus von Lichtenwalder, he is SO SWEET in nature. As a personal preference I would go for more than two. They are truly meant to be in a group by design. I long for the time I can increase my numbers.... Let us know with a pigture or two what you decide... its so nice to be back after an absence!

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Hi Faye,

wow! things have moved along for you in a big way, how nice that your Father cared to help by giving you a nice big cage! I really wish you all the best when your girls arrive... Caring for a guinea pig is THE most wonderful experience I have had. I adore Maximus von Lichtenwalder, he is SO SWEET in nature. As a personal preference I would go for more than two. They are truly meant to be in a group by design. I long for the time I can increase my numbers.... Let us know with a pigture or two what you decide... its so nice to be back after an absence!

The girls are home with me since Saturday, check out my post/diary:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/64370-wendy-winnie-diary-two-piggies.html

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
I became a cavy slave!!!

I know I haven't been updating lately. Well, the girls are getting more and more used to us. They don't disappear when they know we are in the room anymore. They eat from our hands even when they are in their cage although they tend to go to my son more, most likely because he is lower down, closer to the cage whereas I loom over it. They also like lap time, they relax and make little noises I gather from pleasure. Winnie surprised me the other day, I was petting Winnie and Wendy and had them next to me on the couch, (on a water proof sheet and blanket on top of that) and Winnie suddenly jumped on my lap! I was soooo surprised!!!

I did do something stupid yesterday, though. I have a "brush" which is a plastic glove, I don't know if you know the kind. Well I tried to brush the girls with this and I guess they didn't like it because they got annoyed pretty fast! I stopped only after a few tries but they got aggravated and started to popcorn in defense rather than in enjoyment. I put them right back in their cage as fast as I could and was disappointed and guilty for the whole incident. I guess I have to get a comb instead. I'll also have to be more careful. Today they were back to their chipper self! Popcorning all over the place.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I became a cavy slave!!!
I have a "brush" which is a plastic glove, I don't know if you know the kind. Well I tried to brush the girls with this and I guess they didn't like it because they got annoyed pretty fast! I stopped only after a few tries but they got aggravated and started to popcorn in defense rather than in enjoyment. I put them right back in their cage as fast as I could and was disappointed and guilty for the whole incident. I guess I have to get a comb instead.

Congratulations on becoming a cavy slave ! Yaaaay ! :D

I "think" I know what you mean about a "glove brush" but I am not sure. I use a brush that is for pets, it is small with semi-soft plastic bristles, and with the little white knobs on the ends. At any rate, I brush my girls ( even if they don't like it too much, kind of like getting their nails done, ears cleaned, and teeth checked ) at least once a week, but usually twice. It is very good for their skin and fur, as it loosens any dirt, dead skin, and helps reduce shedding. It also encourages the natural oils from their skin to disperse throughout, keeping it healthy and giving your piggies a soft, shiny coat of fur. I highly recommend brushing your piggies, even if they have short hair.

https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html#brushing

I was able to find the brush that I use for my two girls. This picture above is the one I use.

Sometimes they like the brushing, other times they don't. I am very very gentle, especially around Cuddles ( my Abby) hips, as they are "bonier" than my other girl's, and protrude outward a little bit when she is sitting. Cuddles overall is much more petite in stature, and she is very dainty !

Last edited:

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Pet-Massage-Glove-Brush.jpg

This is the glove brush I have. It is gentle but maybe because it is rubber it pulls too much on their fur? I had the same for my cat an bunnies and they never complained. I have two abbys so I figured I should brush their fur at least twice a week. What about if I use a comb you know the old fashioned mens combs.

Today I bought them a plastic T shaped pipe. They just looooved it. The problem is they pooed and peed in there and made a huge mess. Now I'm sure they are all stinky! What can I do about this, should I put a small towel in the pipe to pick up all the poo? Will it stay in there or will the girls pull it out? I also added two teddy bears well one teddy and one dinosaur and I found the teddy in the pipe as well...isn't that cute they wanted company :)

I received a book on caring for gps yesterday...oh my God you wouldn't believe some of the stuff it says in there!! I feel bad for the animals whose owners have the book but no internet! I'll post more on that tomorrow!

By for now :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Even though I have never seen a glove brush before, what you have pictured there up above,is what I had imagined them to look like. Although, you might be right, about using this type of brush, since the rubber nodules are so short, it may indeed "pull" on their fur, rather than "brushing through" their fur.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use a metal or plastic comb, in case their are snarls in your abby's coat,( especially for even longer haired piggies) which you wouldn't know while combing, until you hit one, and you heard EEK !( ouch) You also want the bristles to have contact with their skin while brushing, otherwise you are defeating the purpose. I like the ones like the one I use, because it is a good size, it has semi-flexible bristles at a good length, and it has knobs on the end of each bristle to prevent scratching their skin.

I have YET to hear of a piggie who doesn't love those PVC pipes !! I have never gotten any ( no reason really, they already have so much stuff, you know ?) but as far as the peeps/poops mess, I would just wash/dry it out every night before bed, or when you wake up in the morning. I mean you could velcro a small piece of fleece/u-haul pad to the inside and remove that as it gets dirty, but I think washing it out would be much easier.

Yeah...from the few books that I have read on guinea pigs, they are very inaccurate or have a lot of mixed truths. I am just curious, what book did you buy ? I have one from a long time ago, that I got when my girls were little, called the Animal Planet that is a good example of "mixed truths", and is horribly out dated.

Last edited:

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
The book is called "Guinea Pigs A Complete Introduction" published in 1987. I'm a member of a book exchange site and I found this book and one more I don't remember the title. This is by Margaret Elward. First off it talks a LOT about breeding/grooming etc for shows. In her 50 years of experience in breeding she says and shows a pic of their food that is "A sampling of food for cavies includes common edible seeds and a green vegetable, such as lettuce." It says that it is ok to give them shelled seeds such as peanuts and sunflowers! This is nut (pun intended!).

Just a few of the crazy things I've read so far! She has a pic of a little girl using a toothbrush to comb a piggy, is this a good idea?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Toothbrush to brush a piggie with ? Weird. I really can't relate or understand breeding and showing piggies. It's horribly wrong in my opinion, and makes me crazy mad ! :mad:

Well out dated books, from un-educated authors in this specific field of guinea pigs...1987 well that was more than 20 years ago. Not much we can expect from that period. Hopefully excellent web sites like this one,:) specifically geared to guinea pigs will become more accessible to millions of people via the internet, therefore eradicating inaccurate information and educating the uniformed public.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nothing wrong with using a toothbrush -- you can get to more of their hair without having to lift them up or move them around.

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
I used the toothbrush and it did wonders...I have a question though...when I tried to brush their bum area they definitely didn't like it. The problem is that that area was the worse off...it really needed to be brushed, their fur was stuck together and a bit wet. What can I do?

Also, I think they have added a LOT of weight since I got them...I've had them for 3 weeks now and their tummies are round and big in comparison to when I got them. They have gained 112 grams (Winnie now weighs 312 grams) and 110 grams (Wendy now weighs 304 grams) since I got them. They are 7 weeks old so I give them hay and pellets (their bowls are always filled) and veggies 3 times a day. I was told that they were separated from any males so I'm guessing they aren't pregnant. Am I feeding them too much or is this weight gain normal?

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Too many pellets... One-fourth cup of pellets per pig per day is plenty. Pellets are the least important part of their diet, and should be used just to make sure that they've got all the minerals they need. They need good hay ALL the time, and veggies 2-3 times per day.

The weight gain doesn't sound too much to me, but keep weighing and recording daily so you'll know how they're doing.

As far as the wet bottom, I keep the skirts trimmed off mine so they don't reach the floor. You can also wipe their butts down with a damp washcloth, or even give them a full bath if needed.

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
I've already given them a full bath so that isn't an option. Maybe I'll just wash their bums and trim Winnie's bun fur a little, she's furrier than Wendy.

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Pellets in Greece are the mixed ones with fruits and stuff so if I give them only 1/4 of a cup each they most likely won't be eating it all. Should I maybe give them more?

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Although Winnie and Wendy are sisters, abbys, Winnie has much longer fur than Wendy. I noticed that her fur is often wet and was a bit tangled in the rear because she doesn't let me comb her there, she gets very aggravated and jumpy when I try to comb her there. I tried and managed to shorten her fur there a little bit but it could be shorter. Any ideas?

Other than that, there life here is rather uneventful. They have become more and more accustomed to us going past there cage but when I stress them out by combing them or trimming their nails, they hold a grudge and hide more when we get close to the cage.

They are just soooo adorable...yesterday I had them at lap time on their home made bed and they were both so relaxed (separate not together) that they lied there on their side, not a care in the world.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Give her a butt trim. Both of mine have long skirts, and I trim them so that they don't even touch the floor.

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
I tried that but it was very hard to get her to stand still, she doesn't like for me to touch her butt at all, not even the fur. It was tough!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.