Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Europe Good morning from Greece

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I'm from Distomo Greece. I don't have any cavy's yet, I'm waiting for them to wean, I'll have them in a couple of weeks, I'll upload pictures then.

Best regards,

Faye

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hallo Faye and welcome here!

there is a wealth of information on this site! Have you picked(chosen) your piglets yet? How many are you planning to get? there are wonderful cage ideas here, if you don't already have one set up.

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
I've chosen 2 little girls, they are currently 1 1/2 weeks old, I'm waiting for them to wean so I can go pick them up. As for cage ideas, you hit a sore spot there, the cube cages haven't come to Greece yet and no supplier will send to Europe (at least I haven't found one). So I'm looking for the largest cage I can find. Luckily, I've got some time on my hands to look.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Oh how exciting I bet your anxious and tired of waiting, right?!? haha.
I cant wait to see pics! :)

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
1.2.1 004.jpg I'm very anxious, I feel like I'm going to be a mommy again!! LOL

My babies are going to be the two that have a little white in their fur. You can see the 3 sisters munching down with their mommy!! :)

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Hi! Welcome to GPC.

As for the cage, can you get something built?

This user is also from Greece and her cage is amazing.
Candy Cherry home - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Wow what a beautiful cage!!! It looks so simple to make...is it high enough? It looks like they can easily jump out.

Could you add a link with her name so I can pm her. I'd like more details on how she made those cages...for one thing where did she find the squared wire thingamajigys that she has connected to make the second cage??

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Here's her member profile.
(broken link removed)

Her cage walls seem high enough. I think they look short compared to the size of the cage.

For regular C&C, grids are 14 inches (35.56 cm) high.

Here's another pic of her cage.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
View attachment 14685 I'm very anxious, I feel like I'm going to be a mommy again!! LOL

My babies are going to be the two that have a little white in their fur. You can see the 3 sisters munching down with their mommy!! :)

The babies are too cute. I am excited for you.
Seeing that you are from Greece made me pull out photos from 2 trips I took there years ago. I was fortunate to visit a friend in Thessaloniki a couple of times while he was serving in the Greek military. Beautiful and some of the tastiest food I have ever had!

Welcome and good luck with the cage!

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much...I found a similar cage although not as well decorated on a Greek site where there is a video explaining the construction of the cage. I hope my husband is up for it :)

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Aawwwww how adorable!! :)

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hi Faye,

oh your little girls are look like munchkins - they are so cute!!

Cages and cage building and cage modifying are one of the most fun aspects discussed here! :) you'll be happy to know that lots of us girls get cages made all by ourselves too... when the hubby's aren't too eager at first, but then lots of times their pendulum swings too and they get all into it and helpful lol.

WOW that cage that Lissie showed is so lovely!! nice to know the possibilities exist for you there, one more thing to relax about.

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
I was so stressed about the cage!! :melodrama Now I'm at ease...I decided to go with the Coroplast plastic for the base and to add some rabbit wire so I can hang my water bottles and hay. I found an easy how to video and it seems like you can't mess it up!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWdcOrVtn8&feature=player_embedded

I'll add pics as soon as I make mine...oohh I can't wait...time seems to stand still...when I'm in the kitchen cutting up veggies or fruit I think, "If I had my piggies now I'd be saving them a portion too!" I'm counting the days!! :)

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hi Faye,

See - world of opportunities suddenly replace stress.... nice hey!?

I watched the video - not that I speak Greek - you'll see from the forum on cage building and environments on here that things are pretty similar - a little different - in that there is always space made for the guinea pigs to run laps around their cage. Exercise is paramount to well being. Thats why so many folk end up building a loft for their kitchen and hay. More space to run around and popcorn.

I keep my foods in different places separated. Pellets in an anti spill ceramic bowl, veggies on a matt, and hay in it's own place. They like to pee and poop in the hay that's why I separate mine.

Check out the Fleece Project too - three layers (U-haul pads, and anti-pill polar/ blizzard fleece - are sewn together and laid as a single matt on the cage floor.)

How exciting now for you! Look forward to the progress!

Last edited:

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Can they be litter trained? If yes why so many layers or are they for mistakes? Do they poo where they eat? Should I put the hay over a litter box?

lissie

Cavy Slave
They can't be litter trained. Some pigs will train themselves, some won't. They do use the litter box more if there's hay and food in there. I do find that they like to use dark corners, so I cover my hay box with towels too.

I think the rabbit wire is a good alternative. JUst be careful of sharp edges.

Have you seen this gallery? Might give you more ideas.
Alternative Cages - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Do you have wire closet shelving? Something like this:

Another idea, garage shelving and garden wire.

This cage base is made from shower stall and the sides are closet shelvings.

* click on pics to see more details

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
I really like the idea of the garage shelving and garden wire! Very neat and pretty

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
I wonder if there is a way to make the garden shelving and garden wire a two floor cage...maybe my husband can put a whole in one of the shelves and we can add a ramp plus the extra space on the bottom can be used for storage.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
I'm sure there would be a way Faye, no reason that it couldn't be worked out. I am just in the process of adding a second floor to Maximus von Lichtenwalder's secure cage. So that when he is not out on the bed (I have a waterproof picnic blanket I put on to protect the douvet, plastic side up then cover that with quilted coverlets for him to be on top of) he can have better exercise area. He loves the bed so much for the space it gives him, but when I am not home to supervise the cat then he goes to the secure cage.
I think I've altered his cage every week since he came to me a month ago! I use temporary materials and see how they work out in practice, then I list what he really seems to like the most and adjust platforms and so on...
He also seems to really enjoy the novelty of the new changes...lol

I think they are hardwired to pee on grass and hay, like they were intended to fertilise the world. I often change the hay and shavings underneath it, as soon as I feel its wet. Maximus von Lichtenwalder tends to go pee in only two place in his cage so it's easy for me. But he poops on his running tracks, where he sleeps and in his hay. He avoids pooping in his pellets or on his veggies mat.

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
My husband now says that garden shelving is too dangerous for my son's room because they are steel, he wants to make something similar but with wood. We just have to agree with the size.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.