Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Europe Good morning from Greece

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Well, its up to you on what and how you wanna make it, just keep us updated and show pics of the progress.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hi Faye,
it's absolutely up to you two to talk and agree on your girls cage as no-one but you knows your situation, that's the reason that so many wonderful cage idea's are available to everyone.
Just if possible go bigger than the preferred guide. Your piggies will reward with their extra space. The minimum requirements are just that Minimums and here they are so you have a nice easy reference when discussing things with your hubby... It is from the home page of this site:

Two pigs = Preferred is 2x5 grids = 10.5 sq ft 27" x 71" (inches)
Two pigs = Minimum is 2x4 grids = 7.5 sq ft 27" x 56"

Remember to have Fun with this process....

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Cage building is super fun!!! You should definitely enjoy it :)

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
I finally talked my husband into making a big cage, it's going to be 1,5x0,80m that's about 59"x31,5". We're going to make it out of wood, the kind that the kitchen counters are made from so it's waterproof.

I also saw a nice cubby hole/house that doubles as a second floor. I was wondering how big it should be made. Can someone tell me how high/wide is should be?

I'm also having trouble figuring out how to organize the cage, can I use the big inside corner for a hiding place/house or will they be using it as their bathroom?

Should I put litter boxes in all the corners and on top put hay and water bottles?

Also, is fleece ok for the summer? It gets really hot here in Greece I wouldn't want them to get sun stroke, I was thinking of maybe a cool bed sheet on top for the bedding, what do you think?

I've also read about mites, do they get those from going outside in the grass or is it possible to get it from being inside the house?

I've found a store that sells alfalfa seeds for planting and am going to plant an area in my yard for my babies, they can eat it fresh, I don't have to dry it do I?

One last question, when should they get their first bath and nails clipped after how many weeks? Mine will be 5 weeks old when I get them.

Thank you for your comments and support!

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hi Faye,

What great news!! your cage is going to be wonderful and big!! YAY!

Your loft only needs to ensure that both piggies have ample space and no food fights or cornering can occur - so no bullying happens - it must be big enough for peace...
Perhaps someone else knows dimensions?

I don't think there are going to be any definite answers as to how you should arrange your cage... it will be the piggies own choice where they prefer to go to the toilet... not all piggies, it seems, like to go in the same places as everyone else's piggies... my piggie doesn't go in any corners at all, he doesn't go where his new favorite sleeping spot is either... I'd suggest try one thing and see how you feel about it and then try another as the piggies let you know over time.

I've not ever had mites so I'll leave that answer to someone who knows.

Yes they can eat fresh alfalfa, up to their 6 month of age, then the calcium is too high. Pregnant piggies can also eat alfalfa, but adults should not have all the time access because this can create problems in their health. You will be fine to feed it fresh, most people have to have it dry because they can't grow it.

Piggies don't have to have baths. Unless there is a problem it seems that there is some preference to bath as seldom as possible as it is not so natural for them, also if you are one that likes your piggies bathed please be sure to buy the right kinds of soap as their skin is hyper sensitive to soaps. There are few kinds that are gentle enough. I've read a lot about people just sponging down the butt area as and if needed rather than frequent or regular soap and water baths. I have not had to wash Maximus von Lichtenwalder at all, he smells beautiful - rather like the faint fragrance of a fresh cucumber.

Nails should be kept nice and trimmed - around every two weeks. Careful here also, they have a little vein of blood that goes down into the nail, make sure you avoid it. There are threads on nails specifically.

I am so glad you have some resolution on your cage size - thats fantastic! Well done you!!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
View attachment 14685 I'm very anxious, I feel like I'm going to be a mommy again!! LOL

My babies are going to be the two that have a little white in their fur. You can see the 3 sisters munching down with their mommy!! :)

Welcome Faye ! :)

What beautiful piggies ! Ohhhh aren't they adorable...they look to be silky abby's is that right ? I have an abby too, named Cuddles...I got her when she was 6 weeks old. I am so happy for you, to be getting these two precious girls! You have come to a great place to learn and share all about how to take great care of your guinea pigs.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
He also seems to really enjoy the novelty of the new changes...lol

I think they are hardwired to pee on grass and hay, like they were intended to fertilise the world.

My girls ( especially Cuddles) love LOVE it when I not only clean their whole cage each week, but really express great jubilation when I change the "theme" every week. Every week it's a completely different set-up in their cage.

Do you know--I know this may sound dumb, but I had never really thought about it that way before. How true and basic a conclusion that is, that they are "hard-wired" to pee and poop on grass and hay just like their ancestors did. It's just that I think sometimes we forget the type of animal that they are, and where they came from and what comes "naturally", for them. My thoughts are running away with me now, so I will just end it here, but...anyway, thanks for that "aha" moment. Maybe I sound silly, I don't know !

P.S. Don't even get me started on zoo's...( have strong feelings on that too, though they are mixed)

logansmomma1228

Cavy Slave
View attachment 14685 I'm very anxious, I feel like I'm going to be a mommy again!! LOL

My babies are going to be the two that have a little white in their fur. You can see the 3 sisters munching down with their mommy!! :)

AWW They are so sweet! The white and brown one looks like mine! I like the Abysinnians, they have just the right amount of hair :) Since I got her I have been picky about getting a short haired one!

I can't wait to see what you do with your cage; I am in the same process. I have been experimenting with different setups and toys for her to play with. She likes to scamper around at random times and I put a capri sun box in there that she plows through as a tunnel! Lol

I am going to work on securing my cage more today since I will have some extra time. Then I will be getting more cubes to make a stand sometime in the next week.

What are you doing for a stand? I don't remember if you said that or not, I know you said you are making an awesome wood cage.

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Basically the stand is part of the cage, the bottom of the cage is going to be made of kitchen counter wood and it's going to have legs (most likely with wheels for easy cleaning). The sides are going to be elevated so the hay doesn't get out and above the sides are going to be the picket fences that I've bought. In the front I'm going to leave a few places with plexi glass so they can look out better. I'm going to make a house out of the same wood with a ramp so they can get a little higher and take a look around. I'm going to place it towards the wall of the cage so there is no danger of them getting out. I'm going to buy a hay rack and make a few more hidey holes and see what nice toys I'll be able to find at the pet stores.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Hi Faye,

I forgot to answer your question about a cool material, my opinion in anycase, as I understand the fleece project feedback and other threads about fleece, fleece is used for its superior ability to wick pee down into the woolen layer thereby helping to keep piggie dry and the odour is then less.

What I've noticed with Maximus von Lichtenwalder over time is this... he always pee's in the wood shavings parts of his cage, he pee's on hay, and on the very edge of the towel I put his feed bowls on, he doesn't pee on the cotton cosy's, but he will pee on the inner fabric of a toaster cover covered in cotton. He won't pee on his fleece pad. Now I'm not sure if all piggies do this but he likes to back up to the edge of fabric and then pee with his butt hanging off the edge. If he needs the loo whilst on your arm he wiggles to the edge, but I've learned the prior signals now so I can avoid it.

I have Egyptian Cotton things for him to lie on. They are nice and cool. I also have towel fabric, fleece fabric and an alpaca knitted scarf which he adores. Must be the South American in himlol

I don't know if fleece would be very hot, I know I often find Maximus lying on different fabrics on different days. When he lies under his calzone douvet sometimes he is on the towel base and sometimes on on the fleece pad. (he has taken to climbing up onto his cage roof from the al fresco dining platform I made to extend his cage.... I've secured it well. I throw the douvet over the top as we are still cold at night, towel base is thinner so I figure it's cooler for him.) I guess Piggies know best! and we figure it out as we observe them.

How nice of you to think about them enjoying a look out and around. They are Very curious wee creatures...

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
My father surprised me by getting me a custom made cage. He doesn't know much about cages or guinea pigs for that matter so the cage wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I made some minor adjustments and it's looking like a pretty nice cage. It's all made of wire (unfortunately even the bottom, luckily I'll have the fleece at the bottom so it'll be ok.) The cage was closed at the top and only had two small doors in the front. This wasn't at all convenient since I couldn't fit my hand all the way in the cage. What I did is cut the top off and sealed the doors. With the excess wire made a small second floor for the kitchen area.

My cage size is 13 sq feet. I have a question, I don't know if you've noticed a post I made about my gps sister needing to be adopted...well I was thinking 1st is my cage large enough for a third piggy and 2nd. is caring for 3 piggies compared to 2 a lot more work or is it pretty much the same as just two maybe a little more? Should I take the leap or just stay with two? Keep in mind that I'm a new cavy mommy, I don't have prior experience with cavies, with rabbits, hamsters, cats and dogs yes but not with gps.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Can you post a pic of your cage he got you?

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
I'm going to receive legs with wheels so the cage will be higher. When I got it, it was closed on top but with only two small openings/doors in the front. I took out the top and kept only a small piece where I'm going to add the second floor so they can't get out. I still haven't cut the wire for the second floor, I just rolled it up so I could get a feel of how the towels and fleece would fit it the cage. I'm going to do the cutting tonight, my hubby's going to bring good wire cutters. The cage has a tray underneath so that hay etc. won't go all over the place. I don't know if you can see it well in the picture. The cage is 13 square feet. I asked earlier but didn't get an answer yet, would this cage suit 3 girls instead of 2? I'm worried about the third sister, I'm afraid she's going to go to a pet shop. :sad:

PICT0296.jpg

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello !

Hmmmm it looks to be big enough for two "baby" piggies.. but not two adult ones, in my opinion. The cage looks to be ( c&c grid size) close to a 2x3, comfortable for one adult piggie, a bit too snug for two adult piggies.

I would also highly suggest using some form of coroplast, which some people can find at sign shops, or old political posters, if nothing else, for the ease of cleaning. I would also suggest not adding a second floor, but add more length for now, to what you've got.

If you decide not to continue with what you have, there are many people who have made cages using closet wire shelving, that most department or hardware stores should carry. Is there a "home depot" type place where you live ? For I know that Home Depot cuts it to the length you want, also.

Have you had a chance to look at the alternative cage section on this site ? There are some photo's with the closet wire shelving, that I was referring to there. I am so sorry if I didn't tell you what you want to hear, but honestly, am just trying to be helpful to you !:)

Last edited:

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
On the cage requirements for 3 gps it says preferred 13 square feet. I have 13 square feet for 2 piggies and you're telling me that it's too small for two grown ups? Why does it have the table if it's not the preferred size, also, how long till they become full size?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
No, you are exactly right about the cage requirements, I guess it just doesn't look like 13 sq. feet to me, which is equal to a 2x5 C&C sized cage. Are you sure it's 30"x62" ? If it is, then that is certainly enough room. I do NOT mean to offend or upset you in any way, just trying to help you as you are in the process of building....that's all.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The table is correct, and 13 square feet is fine for three pigs. One thing you might do is make sure the ramp between the two levels doesn't occupy too much space on the bottom level, and isn't place where it interrupts their running room.

Pigs are usually full grown at around nine months as far as length goes. Mine got a little heavier after that, but have been at a stable weight since they were about a year old.

Evangela

Cavy Slave
Welcome, nice to have another Greek aboard! This is a great website for all your Guinea Pig needs. Best of luck to you. These are the most lovable pets anyone can have.

faye_arv

Cavy Slave
Welcome, nice to have another Greek aboard! This is a great website for all your Guinea Pig needs. Best of luck to you. These are the most lovable pets anyone can have.

That's encouraging because I read really mixed impressions on this site. On the one hand I'm soooo excited on getting them (tomorrow) and on the other hand I'm scared to death!! LOL

I hope we can get a lot of Greeks to join, this site is a MUST! Your piggies are adorable!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
is caring for 3 piggies compared to 2 a lot more work or is it pretty much the same as just two maybe a little more? Should I take the leap or just stay with two?

I just wanted to say how sorry I was for the recent stupid posts I made to you on cage size. I really messed up, and I am sorry. This really IS a wonderful, warm friendly place to learn all about guinea pig care, and swap fun piggies stories!:)

* Caring for 3 piggies is really not that much more work or care than 2 piggies. The only time I "think", it makes a difference is in Vet costs. I think if your heart is really pulling you toward keeping the 3rd, I say go for it !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.