Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Shampoo for Ringworm

c4talys7

Cavy Slave
Ok, well I got back from the vet who is currently testing for Ringworm. I originally took my Guinea Pig in for her second injection for mites. But 8 days after the injections it got much worse. The new vet I took her too is a little more specialized and she said that it looked more like Ringworm to her. She gave me a shampoo, aloe and oatmeal for cats and dogs, that she said would help soothe her until she can get the results back. Now my questions is, despite what the vet said, would this still be ok to use on a guinea pig? She wants me to wash every other day and she checked the ingridients to make sure it was safe. She did that with the first shampoo sshe reccomended me because she wasn't sure and the first shampoo had stuff that wasn't safe so she gave me the oatmeal one.

Also, on Guinea Lynx, they reccomend two shampoos to help treat Ringworm and I was wondering if these would be safe? Here is the link, it's located towards the bottom of the page but one of them is a shampoo for humans.
www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Any opinions and advice would help? My Guinea Pig is currently be kept in my boyfriend's room because I am house sitting their dogs and cats. The dog has seen the Guinea pig a couple times but they are outdoor dogs so I believe they are treated to prevent Ringworm. That's what my boyfriend said anyways. The cats are not allowed into the room and the window is open so I can air out the room. Before this she was housed in a cage that my animals at my house had access to, but none of them have shown symptoms. But yeah, if anyone has used the shampoos on guinea lynx I would like to know what you think, or you advice

Insanemomof3

Cavy Slave
Our guinea pigs got ringworm and we used the over the counter lotromin that people use on their feet for athletes feet. Our vet said it was fine. I would be concerned the repeated bathing wouldn't be good for the pigs. We applied it twice a day for one week and also completely cleaned all their cages and toys with bleach water, rinsing really well everyday. Our ringworm was gone in one week. I think the lotion even made the pigs feel better and was soothing. It's very contagious so we also wore gloves as not to spread it back and forth.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Since it can be spread so easily there should be no contact whatsoever between the dog and cats, and you will want to wear gloves whenever you handle the pig.

The Nizoral shampoo mentioned on GL does indeed help with most fungus, although I am not sure specifically with ringworm. When will the vet get the results back?

I have used over the counter fungus medications to treat non-specific fungus before.

c4talys7

Cavy Slave
The guinea pig is in a seperate room and I don't take her out with the dog in the house anymore so hopefully that will work. But the vet said it would take 7 to 10 days to cultivate the sames they took so I should hear back around then. I will look into some over the counter medications tomorrow and at least hold her over till I can get the medicine from the vet. I just want her to stop itching. I'm really worried because since it wasn't mites I have to wait even longer to start treatment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.