Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs Skin removal

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
How much do you think surgery might cost to remove something like a mole, about the size of a pencil eraser, maybe a little bigger, on a guinea pig?

I just don't want to pass out on the ground when they tell me.

I also want to know if I can even pay it at the moment as I am in between jobs meaning one ended and one is going to begin soon, but it wont give me a check until the end of the month. What I have in the bank is what I have.

I am assuming it will be something around the $200 mark. Or maybe I should say "I hope it isn't any higher".

I had a thread on guinea lynx about it. We hope it isn't a melanoma. We hope its just a change in skin pigmentation. However, I am pretty darn sure it isn't a cyst or an abscess.

Has anyone had a similar procedure done?

I know no one can say for sure what it will be. Just a general idea of what it COULD be would be nice.

karwask

Cavy Slave
Perhaps I can help very slightly for having medical issues with my pig, Charlotte lately. She had to have an X-ray to rule out kidney stones and the anesthetic, which I image you will need as well, was in two parts: $97.40 for the "anesthesia mask" and $25.85 for the anesthesia itself. I might have to have her spayed as we suspect that she is having some trouble with her uterus and if that's the case, the vet said that would cost about $160 something which would, presumably, include anesthesia and the procedure itself.

So, if that's of any help, best of luck to you and keep us posted.

I didn't try to put off payment or make arrangements for it, as there were many other incidentals that made my bill unbelievable above and beyond what I have mentioned, but I did think, afterward, that I should have tried to see if we could have worked it out.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
I don't know why she would need an xray? Maybe she would? I have no clue!

What do they do with a piggy to remove something like that?

With all this said, who knows what they will do. I am just trying to prepare for the hard stuff if it should come to that.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I would take her to the vet and have it looked at. When you know what is then you can go from ther as to the costs. Also at that time you can work out with the vet money issues and possible payments.

karwask

Cavy Slave
I didn't mean to imply that you would need X-rays. That was just the reason why I had to have Charlotte anesthetized as they can't take X-rays without putting her under. So, best of luck to you. Yes, a good idea to go the vet and work it out when you have the information you need.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
I didn't know you had to do that for an x-ray! Wow!

I appreciate the info!

I just don't know what to expect so I'm freaking out. :(

karwask

Cavy Slave
Dear MaggieMae,

I understand the stress and anxiety you might be feeling. Easy does it. Information is a powerful thing. There's probably a good chance if the expense it too great that you can work it out with your vet, assuming it is. Also, it may or may not be something that has to be done immediately so getting answers is the best antidote to your fears. Then...one thing at a time. As everyone here has said, it's really important that whatever vet you chose is very experienced working with small animals. There are recommended vest listed on this site, I think and also on Guinea Lynx.

Best to you,

karwask

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've had xrays and ultrasounds done on my guinea pigs and they've never been put under. I'm not sure why that would be necessary unless they do that to keep them still. You can also call your vet and ask them about their charges ahead of time. They might have some options that could keep the costs down, like not biopsying the growth.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Ditto sedation is not always necessicary for xrays and ultrasounds. My piggies have all been awake and fine with their xrays and we have gotten really clear pics.

As a human that has had a larger than pencil eraser sized mole removed from *cough* a very nerve filled sensitive area. They applied a local anestetic and cut it out and then some. I got a bandaid with no stitches. It was not a big deal. My female relatives and I are prone to HUGE moles, skintags, freckles and the like. I have had several removed and I have removed a few minor ones with nail clippers myself. Its not a hugely evasive procedure. I would suspect that a vet would do a very similar precedure and the piggy might not even be sedated. With proper restraining a sample of the skin can be taken fairly easy....

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
It isn't raised any. It looks kind of like a bruise and not really a growth. I don't know what they will do.

If they don't think it is anything serious I'm not even going to mess with it. It is right on her back. Like, right on her back bone.

Thanks for all the support and advice. I was so spazzy and freaked out last night. My piggies mean so much to me it is almost embarrassing!

I will update how it went sometime after we get home.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
They told me to watch it for any changes. She has another one on her belly which, I knew she had a little mole there, but this is a different spot. They both have one on their belly, but honestly I adore piggy bellies and I look at hers often.

It just concerns me that they would show up so suddenly. However, I agree and trust the vet 100%. They honestly just look like skin pigment changes and she appears happy and healthy so we are going to leave it at that for now. I just need to watch them and watch them I will.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.