Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Grass instead off hay?

My guinea pigs used to live outside, but were recently bought inside. One also recently passed away. I got him from my friend, he was one of my first guinea pigs, and to be honest I think at least part of his death had to do with bad breeding. He always seemed like he could easily get sick (I don't know how to explain it, you ever see an animal and they look kind of... I don't know, weakish?). He was always a little more quiet, not quite as active. I thought it was just his personality, but now I don't know...

Anyway, at the moment I have two boys, both in good health, love to run around. One still doesn't like handling (outside guinea pigs ARE harder to bond with) but the newer addition is friendlier.

I never feed them hay, unless you count the organic suger cane mulch that they sometimes munch on, as it's their bedding. They are outside most of the day (unless the weathers not good) eating grass, and I pick grass for them and put it in their cage for them. I always thought you don't need hay if your using grass instead (chemical free). But now I'm wondering, is grass enough. Do I NEED hay as well. If so, why? I am prepared to get some, but I don't see why I need it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Grass instead off hay?

I'm using grass as well. And as far as I know, grass and hay are pretty similar and both are good for pigs as long as you give them in unlimited amount.

I've read in a horse forum (somewhere on the net, I just forget what's the address), that when horse are fed with grass, they would eat much more grass (probably 2-3 times) than when they were fed with hay to fulfill their fiber need.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Char-x's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    88 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I'd still give it to them, if only on the basis that guinea pigs adore it as a toy as well as for the eating! My guinea adores burrowing etc in hay, which you can't really do with grass.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,432 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Grass can be fed instead of hay and is better but as most people do not have access to unlimited quantities of fresh grass, hay is used instead. I would give both hay and fresh grass. They need unlimited amounts 24/7.

As far as the sugar cane mulch you are using as bedding. I'd ditch that and get something more safe and suitable.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I will get some hay. I won't use it much, but it'll be helpful if I can't get grass. And I've seen them play in long grass before, and they had fun, but we don't tend to let our grass get that long haha.

Other then care fresh, what are good beddings? I'd go with care fresh but it's a bit out of my price range. What about aspen shavings? Or shredded paper, is that safe? I know it'd need to be changed much more often, probably even everyday, but it'd be a cheap bedding.
    I've also heard of people using cat litter as bedding? I know you'd have to be careful about which you get.

Also, keep in mind that I can't have fleece. Parents won't allow it at all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,255 Rec'd/5,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    2033 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3823 Post(s)

Aspen shavings are good, but shredded newspaper will get smelly and gross very quickly. I use wood pellets, they're cheap, and they're the best I've found at odor control. You don't say where you are, but if you're in the US, you can find them at farm supply stores (Tractor Supply is a big chain) or at places that sell to horse stables. If you decide to use them, be sure to get the kind that don't have an accelerant in them -- they're also used for wood stoves, and some of them have been treated to make them burn more quickly.

7. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List