Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea Pig just keeps peeing on me!

CaitlynandLia

Cavy Slave
So, I got my piggy Lia a little over a week ago. I have spent so much time with her since I introduced her into the family and I have realized these past few days that she likes to pee on me. Whenever I take her out of the cage for floor time or put her on my big table when I am on the computer, she will purposely go out of her way, to climb on me, and pee. She will sit on my lap or on my shoulder and make a lot of noises, so I assume she has to go to the bathroom and I put her down on a towel for about 5-10 minutes and she just won't pee, so she'll climb on my lap or back on my shoulder and pee instantly or poop. When she is on the table she will put her butt just off the table to pee right on me at the place where I am sitting. I have heard a lot of people say that guinea pigs don't want to pee on their owners. I just don't get it. Lia is still very afraid of me picking her, although she does allow me to pet her easily, but it's only been a little over a week since I've brought her here. She has never biten me very hard and doesn't now. She just loves to pee on me. Will she ever stop? Do I have to teach her not to?

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
Henry climbs in my lap and pees on me any chance I give him. I've learned to watch for the signs that he needs to go- but sometimes given the opportunity he marches up to me; does his little wiggle back pee dance and lets loose. You could try getting a lap pad or making one, or just use a towel in case of accidents. Pay attention to little things she does, like nibble on you or squeak a certain way- it might give you warning.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt seriously that she's peeing on you on purpose, or that she "loves" to pee on you. She's got a mighty small brain, and probably can't figure out very far ahead that she needs to pee, or how to get into position to pee on you.

What's more likely is that you just haven't learned to read her signals yet. It may be that when she makes noises on your lap and you put her on a towel, she'd rather go back in her cage so she can go to a protected place to do her business. Since she's (probably) out in the open on the towel, she doesn't feel safe peeing there. So she holds it as long as she can, and then lets go wherever.

The next time you put her down when you think she needs to pee, make sure there's some shelter for her -- a small cardboard box or a step stool, anything she can get under. Leave her there until you're sure she's peed, then pick her back up again.

Mine start a quiet whimper when they need to get down, which gets a little louder and more insistent the longer I keep holding them. If I still ignore them, they'll start nibbling at me, at which point it's either put them down or get peed on.

You'll learn to speak her language -- just be patient, and try not to impart "human" motives to an animal that can't think too far beyond the next bite of food!

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
What do you do when she pees on you?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Will she ever stop? Do I have to teach her not to?
How would you go about doing this?

A very easy solution would be to hold her with a blanket on your lap.

CaitlynandLia

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for answering and I really do see when she needs to pee. She seems to squirm a lot and make noises, but I will try to put her down in her cage or a closed in area and see if that will work. Thank you.

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
Is Lia a young/baby pig? My older boars are 2-4 years old and they are good for about 15-20 min of lap time before they need a potty break. But I just adopted a new guy who's maybe 2mths old and was holding him not even 10 min., and suddenly he peed on me! lol It just took me totally by surprise because it had been a very long time since that happened. I'm guessing, it only makes sense, that a younger pig is going to have a smaller bladder and not be able to hold it as long as an adult pig. Plus I know my 3 other guys signals that they want to be put down, but I'm still tryign to figure this new guy out!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.