Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeder block hutches

• Thread starter Myspoiltpiggies
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Yuck...hardly enough room to turn around and lie down. Very sad.

jennawing

Cavy Slave
Oh my! This girl just joined one of my forums- and never said anything about being a breeder! She said she was a rescue and had 40+ pigs- but I know those pictures anywhere!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
She does mention C&C cages, yet she doesn't use them!

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
One particular plastic cage on the market — it has a solid bottom, then a clear plastic top that curves up, with a small wire opening at the top. Some people do not recommend these types of cages but I like them, for young piglets bouncing around flicking wood shaving about.

Wow, notice how she recommends the cages with the least possible ventilation! What an ignorant fool.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I know - she just wants to save on cleaning up, how selfish

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
I agree. Maybe i am generalizing and sorry if i am, i am just very angry right about now. From what cavy breeders and showers i have heard of, the ones i have talked about on these forums anyway, seem to have become so preoccupied in winning and making money, they have forgotten the real joy of having a cavy in your life. They do not focus on the guinea pig's care as much as they should from what i've seen.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
It's sad to say but I really don't think you are generalising, I think the majority of breeder's are exactly like you said.. they are not concerned with the overall wellbeing of the piggy they are breeding and showing.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Jennawing, what forum is she on?

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I know her too. Used to go to Pimms Pages, now I'm hardley ever on there. They are pro-breeding, and although some of the membres are very nice, the majority thinks that small cages and mixes are OK for piggies.
I don't think that we should provide the site link (it's not Just PimmsPages.com) for privacy reasons, really. We shouldn't take an argument over there, either. If she knows what C&C cages are, I doubt she'll stop using the hutches. She had (I think) 17 pigs die from somewhere around October to January. Sad, really.
I don't really want to stereotype breeders either, but I think we're right. Most don't really care about the space or welfare of the pigs. We should jam them into closets for the rest of their lives. :)

jennawing

Cavy Slave
I was actually speaking of a different forum, but out of respect for the great people on there, I'd rather not share that. She hasn't been about more at any rate.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Oh, she must be on more than Pimms. Well, she was on a lot over there, don't know if she still is. I remember going to her site before.

LucyLou

Cavy Slave
Gosh how tiny are they! And I thought some of the other Breeder Block cages I've seen were small!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
These pictures are so sad. Not only are the piggies in small housing but who is to love them. It hurts my heart. Poor piggies!

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Hey salana, I don't think she'd join my forum. I'm waiting for the first breeder to ignore the warnings.

I really do not appreciate how breeders view living, breathing creatures as "stock", like merchandise.

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
RubyPiggie2 said:
I know her too. Used to go to Pimms Pages, now I'm hardley ever on there. They are pro-breeding, and although some of the membres are very nice, the majority thinks that small cages and mixes are OK for piggies.

Yes I recognise her from that site, I wasn't aware that she was claiming to be a rescuer though. That said, a lot of the breeders seem to telling all and sundry that they also rescue...it's starting towear a bit thin with me.
I haven't been on Pimms Pages for a good while now, I was banned because I was too vocal re my anti breeding sentiments....says it all really.

lilipution1013

Cavy Slave
Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I don't like it, I wouldn't put my guinea pigs anywhere near it. On the other hand, the residents of the cages don't exactly look neglected (though I suppose we don't know what's going on behind the scenes).

Gracie

Cavy Slave
Um whats wrong with those cages, mine are the same size. They have the recommended 2 square foot per piggie, as recommended by Seagulls Guinea Pig Compendium.

Status
Not open for further replies.