Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeder block hutches

• Thread starter Myspoiltpiggies
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Oh I forgot my main point! My Cheeky-pooh could climb out of a cage that was 2 and a half cubes high.(we don't use inches here so I assume you were talking about cube sizes) He laughed at lidless c&c enclosures, that meant floor time for him. My first piggie Babe (pre C&C) could climb over the galv wire barrier, I guess about the same height(2.5 cubesapprox)
Maybe I have SUPER_PIGGIES

guineapigqueen

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Myspoiltpiggies said:
You came here.

Can you not read the same post you took that quote from?

I never came onto this forum because I know it is against people like me a breeder and someone who shows their animals. When you are getting slagged off you dont sit around? well some of you maybe but I certainly dont.

It was you who started this post! If you have a problem please dont gripe about it in *this* forum please confront the person, instead of slagging!

Emma

Last edited by a moderator:

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
kathrynj said:
Oh I forgot my main point! My Cheeky-pooh could climb out of a cage that was 2 and a half cubes high.(we don't use inches here so I assume you were talking about cube sizes) He laughed at lidless c&c enclosures, that meant floor time for him. My first piggie Babe (pre C&C) could climb over the galv wire barrier, I guess about the same height(2.5 cubesapprox)
Maybe I have SUPER_PIGGIES

2.5 cubes??? Your piggy could climb nearly a metre? Eh?

guineapigqueen

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Myspoiltpiggies said:
I really think we should end this board. I didn't mean to upset. I just found your website and used that picture of an example of breeder cages. If I knew you'd find out - I wouldn't have put it there. I don't hurt peoples' feeling intentionally. Whoever told you that I posted it shouldn't have told you because it's obvious you're going to get upset about it.

Think before jumping straight in. Some have as much feelings as others.
Why shouldnt people tell me? I have the right to know, I think your pals would do the same.
I admit that a few of my friends have signed up to stick up for me, but I bet you would do the same
Life is far TOO short(Its been a year since my Daddy died, 23rd) to squabble.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
daftscotslass said:
2.5 cubes??? Your piggy could climb nearly a metre? Eh?
Yeah, no joke! Babe and Cheeky have since gone to piggiy heaven, however my Character(aptly named) has climbed to the top to greet me once, my neighbour saw him do it too, and she was amazed. I opened the lid and just scooped him up lil darling he is.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
kathrynj said:
Yeah, no joke! Babe and Cheeky have since gone to piggiy heaven, however my Character(aptly named) has climbed to the top to greet me once, my neighbour saw him do it too, and she was amazed. I opened the lid and just scooped him up lil darling he is.

My Bonnie thinks she's a hamster sometimes, but she always falls over backwards when she tries to climb. Bless her.

guineapigqueen

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
daftscotslass said:
It doesn't kill viruses, though. Not that viruses can be killed because they were never alive in the first place. ANYWAY! It is various viruses that cause gastroenteritis, and only the strictest of hygiene procedures would prevent the spread. Wood can rot, you cannot keep it truly clean.

Like Matt said, breeding is a sore spot on this site for obvious reasons. It's not that that is being questioned here - it is the housing conditions. I believe wooden hutches are inadequate. I'm not asking GPperson to agree with me. I had a wooden hutch at one point and found it exceptionally difficult to clean. The wood absorbed the pee (and hence bacteria), and no amount of disinfectant would get rid of the stains. If the stains are still there, the bacteria are still there. When you have a lot of cavies, is it really viable to leave it to dry completely before you put the bedding back in?

I use this product below, my vet recommended it to me after the illness...
VIRKON S "the ultimate broad spectrum VIRUCIDAL Disinfectant"

"In independant tests proven effective against all 18 virus families affecting man and animals" (broken link removed)

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
GPperson said:
I use this product below..
VIRKON S "the ultimate broad spectrum VIRUCIDAL Disinfectant"

"In independant tests proven effective against all 18 virus families affecting man and animals" (broken link removed)

There is a lot of debate in microbiology about whether or not viruses can be described as alive and hence be killed. They are just bits of DNA so they are not truly alive. I don't doubt that it "kills" some ("denatures" is the word that is better used), but only true, hygienic practice can help prevent the spread of viruses, rather than just slopping on disinfectant. I'm pretty sure (though I can't prove it without reading into it more) that this won't "kill" every virus associated with enteritis. Looks not too bad as far as disinfectants go.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I baugth a huge commercial cage and im more then satified with it.

You may be satisfied with it, but is your pig? I had the biggest commercial cage possible at the pet store, came at a cost of $100. I then upgraded to a 2x7 cavycage, which I bought for $35. The moment I put my boys in their together I noticed some thing, oh yes that's right: They were happy! Why don't you save yourself the trouble of arguing the big/small cage thing and go out and make your pig happier, make her a larger cage.

Oh yes, and about that singles boars thing, if breeding boars can't live together, then why don't you make them happier and stop breeding. I don't really care if you're breeding to help with genetics. Have you visited www.cavyspirit.com? The pig rescue near me has over a hundred pigs up for adoption. How about, instead of contributing the problem, you help and adopt some of the pigs. I know that even the UK has pig rescues, because there are several members on here from the UK. So don't say there aren't any around you. Oh well. Bottom line: Until we see piggers in bigger cages with enough space to run around then we won't be happy, and most of your pigs won't be either.

ilovpiggiesthei

Cavy Slave
DocDolittle said:
You may be satisfied with it, but is your pig? I had the biggest commercial cage possible at the pet store, came at a cost of $100. I then upgraded to a 2x7 cavycage, which I bought for $35. The moment I put my boys in their together I noticed some thing, oh yes that's right: They were happy! Why don't you save yourself the trouble of arguing the big/small cage thing and go out and make your pig happier, make her a larger cage.

Oh yes, and about that singles boars thing, if breeding boars can't live together, then why don't you make them happier and stop breeding. I don't really care if you're breeding to help with genetics. Have you visited www.cavyspirit.com? The pig rescue near me has over a hundred pigs up for adoption. How about, instead of contributing the problem, you help and adopt some of the pigs. I know that even the UK has pig rescues, because there are several members on here from the UK. So don't say there aren't any around you. Oh well. Bottom line: Until we see piggers in bigger cages with enough space to run around then we won't be happy, and most of your pigs won't be either.

Although my pigs are not in a cc they are really huge hutches which my dad made!! i would love to make a cc but can not find cubes any were?!

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Where do you live? If there is a target or walmart near you, I'm positive they have them. If not, you might want to ask someone from where you are where they got them. Re you from the UK? I know Piglet has a C&C, perhaps she has some suggestions.

ilovpiggiesthei

Cavy Slave
Yes i do live in the uk! But every where i look there just do not seem to be any!!
But my hutches are very large! But i really want a cc !!
:D

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I suggest that you post on the UK board and ask if anyone had found cubes near you. That's probably your best bet.

ilovpiggiesthei

Cavy Slave
O rite thank you very much! Will get straight to it!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Matt & Guins said:
Basically, members here say "there is no good breeding" - so unfortunately any of those who disagree with that statment are not going to get anywhere - cause mods here are in charge and if they dont like what you're saying you will just get banned.
The moderators do NOT ban anyone without good reason. Just because I or the other mods don't like what someone says does not mean we are going to ban them. There are rules on this forum and if those rules are broken, that will get you banned but not stating your opinions.

Rinoa said:
And why are you all so anti breeding?
Have you not even noticed that this site is run by a RESCUER. A person who takes in breeder dumps as well as owner surrenders. Maybe you all need to read the Cavy Spirit website in depth and learn something about this site.

kathrynj said:
How rude. I certainly did not sign up specifically for this. This site used to be good and I recommended it. It is increasingly hard to do because of the attitude I see.
This is in the kitchen where heated discussions belong. If you cant' stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! If you don't like our forum, simply leave.

Now I have some warnings to issue.
Sawda-We don't use chatspeak on this forum. So you are getting a warning not to use it anymore.
SkinnyGuineaPig and GP Person-We don't use foul language/curse words on this forum. You are both getting warnings not to curse anymore.
ilovpiggiesthei-No chatspeak and post properly using proper capitalization and punctuation. This is a warning to do so. I suggest you read https://guineapigcages.com/forum/announcement.php?f=27&announcementid=7
which are this sites posting rules.

As for closing this thread. No, I won't simply because this thread is in the kitchen where heated discussions are allowed. If T wants to come along later and close it and/or move it to the mod forum, that is at her discretion.

Sawda
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

ilovpiggiesthei

Cavy Slave
Sawda said:
w00p! Go me! i got a warning!

Sawda please behave. The forum rules are as stated so will you stick to them!
Also i know i am knew but have some respect for others please!!

marcrox

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Are you aware at how much shame you put the human race to. That's a very sad reaction and makes you look to be just about 2 years old. Ly just said these rules and you just mentioned the f-word. Wow, you really are a sad litttle person, aren't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
marcrox
Status
Not open for further replies.