Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,461 Rec'd/802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

Talking New moderator team!

Everyone, please welcome the following members to the new MODERATOR TEAM!

Aertyn, bpatters, Char-x, Duffinvt, FoggyCreekCavy, Lissie and suzilovespiggie!

Yes, that's right, a big change at the forum!

Ly, Paula and VJ are Administrators with overall responsibilities and our new Moderators will all be assigned to some specific forums to help out.

Along with the new moderators comes a bit of a shift in our management style of moderating.

We are actually removing some of our 'rules' and insisting that members lighten up in certain areas. The goal? To be a friendlier forum. Of course, we are still firm in our positions on guinea pig welfare, but we want more acceptance of members across the board.

We'll be publishing more specifics about the changes as soon as we get a chance. However, I would like to draw your attention to the Introductions forum. Please note the new announcement at the top of that forum. That will give you an idea of the new direction. We will be updating various 'sticky' threads and policy posts as we have time as well.

Here is the text of the announcement on the Intro forum -- which only Cavy Slaves, Stars and Champions will see. Newbies (new to the forum) will NOT see this notice:

Please Be VERY Considerate!

Hello so and so,

You are seeing this message because you are a Cavy Slave (or Star or Champion) member of this forum, that is, you've been online for a while and have been active. And you are seeing this message because you are in the INTRODUCTIONS forum, where usually Newbies post (new to the forum).

We have a NEW policy of acceptance for new-comers. So often, a new person will post about wanting to breed, buy a pig from a pet store, show, etc., and they are immediately CAUTIONED that a) it's not a good thing to do and b) we frown upon it on this forum.

Yes, we do frown upon it, BUT, we need to give our new members a chance to explore the forum without being put into a defensive or offended frame of mind.

So, LET IT GO. Back off. Encourage them in positive way, but don't dig for dirt. Do NOT ask them where they got their guinea pig(s) so that we can start to get them to see the light right away! You certainly don't need to encourage practices we don't support either, but let them get comfortable on the forum, first.

Your support in making the forum a friendlier place to participate is GREATLY appreciated!

How were the moderators chosen?

Actually from running a report based on my criteria and perusing posts. There may be a few people who feel that they should have been tapped, and if so, please feel free to PM or email me privately and I will discuss my feelings about it. There were a few other folks who were asked that did not have the time available but may join later.

Moving Forward

Below is a list of what I'm looking for in a moderator. I will also be adding a feature soon that will allow anyone to apply for the position of Moderator. So, when we are ready to add some new people to the team, we will post about it and consider any outstanding applications.

Moderator Qualifications

#1. Maturity

No matter what, you must be an adult in age and an adult in mind. I prefer over 22 or 23 or so, but will consider over 18. Business and work experience out there in the real world is essential to having a decent understanding of the pet trade industry.

#2. Longevity

You need to have been around a while on the forum -- preferably at least a couple of years. You need to have seen some of the dramas and ups and downs of the forum and have had time to experience different needs here yourself as well as get to know the members.

#3. Participation

Iím looking for people who are fairly consistent over time in their participation. This doesnít mean you have to contribute thousands of posts, just that you are here fairly regularly and contribute when you actually have something of value to say. As a moderator, you are needed on a fairly regular basis, although it doesnít have to be all the time, but enough to provide some coverage and some relief to the other moderators. Generally looking for 500+ quality posts as well. But, it's not a hard number.

#4. Value

When you do contribute, you provide value in a constructive way. Itís one thing to rehash standard positions or repeat the party line, so to speak, but itís quite a bit better to contribute original thought in well-understood and well-accepted ways.

#5. Logic

Itís important to be able to think critically with reason and logic and not necessarily be drawn into heated debates with more heat.

#6. Respect

Looking for people who are respectful of other peopleís views and can communicate our policies and positions in a constructive manner.

#7. Articulate

Looking for people who communicate well with others and set a good example via their posts.

#8. Alignment

I am looking for people who are aligned with the animal welfare objectives and standards that are the hallmark of our forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I am NOT looking for in a Moderator

• While I greatly appreciate the highly opinionated posters, moderators moderate, so Iím looking for someone with balance and even-handedness.
    • Not necessarily looking for experts in any particular area, just people who can help keep the forum running smoothly, legibly and according to our policies.

WHEN do the new Mods START?

We are still sorting out who will be assigned to what forums and they need a little bit of training on the inner workings, but we should have them up and running within a few days or so.

So, please help me make the forum a great place to be for everyone!! And please make the new mods feel welcome!
    Last edited by CavySpirit; 07-24-11 at 12:16 am. Reason: Fix my own grammar

2. "Thank you, CavySpirit, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

Re: New moderator team!

WOW ! Well let me say a big "Congratulations" and Welcome then !!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

This is all so exciting Teresa ! I love the Introductions text, so well written and thought out, wow ! I also LOVE and appreciate your character "bullet list" detailing what is expected, especially if any one of us in the future, desires to become a moderator ! Thank you, for that. Wishing all you new Moderator's, a great new beginning , in this exciting, newly chosen role !

Section Moderator CanadianComforts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    292 Rec'd/198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Congratulations to the new mods and admins. I know you will all do a great job.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,461 Rec'd/802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by kathlaaron View Post
    This is all so exciting Teresa ! I love the Introductions text, so well written and thought out, wow ! I also LOVE and appreciate your character "bullet list" detailing what is expected, especially if any one of us in the future, desires to become a moderator ! Thank you, for that. Wishing all you new Moderator's, a great new beginning , in this exciting, newly chosen role !
    Thank you, kathlaaron, I appreciate the support as do the new mods!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

You are VERY welcome Teresa ! I greatly admire you, more than you know...and all the work you do for animals. I trust in whom you have chosen, and plan to support them in any way that I can as a member here. What an great new adventure.....yahooooo !

Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,342 Rec'd/1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the support!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

You betcha lissie !!
    Last edited by kathlaaron; 07-24-11 at 05:40 am. Reason: adding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    341 Rec'd/198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Congrats to the new mods! I know they will do a fantastic job making this a good place to be!! I, too, support every single one of you and know you will do great things in your new position!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

Congratulations to the new moderators!

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Duffinvt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    335 Rec'd/208 Posts

Thank you all !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    132 Rec'd/80 Posts
    Blog Entries

congrats to the new mods! [and new admins].

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Char-x's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    88 Rec'd/35 Posts

Thank you everyone. Happy to be a part of the team!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    243 Rec'd/183 Posts

The Forum gets better and better. Great ideas here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/20 Posts

Thank you for giving your time and energy to this forum, it's greatly increased the quality of care I'm able to provide my cavy.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    111 Rec'd/89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

Congrats to all the new moderators!
    I am so happy with the new move toward being more supportive and less critical.
    As a newbie, I was ripped to shreds when I said I purchased my first 2 pigs not even realizing at the time that I got them the issue with buying from a pet store.
    And the comments were even worse as I struggled to find the space for an appropriate sized C&C cage for them.
    But I was able to see that the benefit of the information on the site outweighed the verbal reaming.

I know that it will not be easy for the moderators. I don't think a lot of the people even realized that their comments were ostracizing.Thank you so much for acknowledging it and taking steps to address it.
    I often think how much happier the pigs I had years ago would have been if I had known about this site!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

Congratulations to the new team! How about each of them telling us something about themselves? I'm familiar with some, but not all of them. I like the positive tone you're setting. :-)

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,447 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

Welcome aboard new mod team. We are very happy to have you!!

Quote Originally Posted by brindyzoeycandy View Post
    [and new admins].
    We aren't really new admins, we've been both mods/admin for a long time. We are just now officially titled as Admin instead of Mod. Thanks for the support!

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,461 Rec'd/802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    Congratulations to the new team! How about each of them telling us something about themselves? I'm familiar with some, but not all of them. I like the positive tone you're setting. :-)
    Good idea! I've created a new thread for that which they'll update when they get a chance!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

Pinky, I think that is a terrific idea as well ! I don't really know much about the new moderators either...or the old ones for that matter !

User Tag List