Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Homemade dry mix

saresare

Cavy Slave
I do not have guinea pigs yet - I'm waiting on corflute (coroplast) and also waiting for the shelter I volunteer at to get some pigs in before I whisk them away.

I want to make my own guinea pig dry food. Not the pellets, just the mix. So like, I buy all the ingredients separately and then mix it together how I want.

My question is, are there any recipes for homemade food out there? What sort of ingredients and ratios do I use?

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Home-made mixes really aren't that great for Guinea Pig, seeds, grains etc are very unhealthy. I know ACS advocates the use of their mix but I think if you only have a pair of pigs using Oxbow is very affordable. They only need a couple tablespoons a day and a bag lasts a couple months easily.

saresare

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I looked into it - there's a supplier relatively near me so I will try them out.

What about oats? Can they be given oats as a treat?

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Nope, no oats. Again, the ACS uses them but I, nor anyone on this forum, would advocate it's use. ACS uses them in winter to help keep condition on the pigs, but it's mostly because they keep them outdoors thus they burn more energy trying to stay warm. If you keep your pigs indoors (which should be done anyway) you shouldn't need to feed them Oats. My girls just get extra pellets + Veggies in winter.

saresare

Cavy Slave
Okay thank you.

Also I know that too much lettuce can be bad for them. I've read elsewhere that small amounts of cos lettuce is okay, but I couldn't find any at the gardening store, so I am growing iceberg lettuce. Is this okay? I'm also growing cabbage and silverbeet - are these okay for piggies? What other veggies like these should be avoided or limited?

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Iceburg lettuce is not suitable for Guinea Pigs. Neither is Cabbage, Silverbeet is a rare treat only. Try looking for Radicchio, Endive, Butter, Coral...those Gourmet Mixes are great. They should get about a cup of lettuce a day, with other veggies added in. I suggest looking over the following page

https://www.guinealynx.info/fave.html

saresare

Cavy Slave
My friend killed all my lettuce crops anyway so I guess that gives me room now to grow something else. :p

And will do. I shall read Guinea Lynx back to front and soak it up like a sponge.

Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.