Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits I need some help please!

Kiwi2

Cavy Slave
My best friend has a rabbit he is about eight months old. The rabbit is in a proper size C&C cage.
Recently my friend seen my guinea pigs and wanted one. She adopted a guinea pig today!
I am very happy that she did but, I know it is absolutely not safe to house them together. I was wondering if it is OK to have them in separate cages but in the same room?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
They can be in the same room but they should not be able to touch nor should she share water bottles or feeding dishes. I have my GPs above my rabbit cage. That avoids any accidental contact.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Just curious. What can happen if they come into contact with each other. Apart from the obvious rabbit can kick the pig. Is there any other reason ? I will be rabbit sitting for a friend next week. I have no experience with rabbits but I offered to rabbit sit for the 2 weeks as she didn't want him going to a stranger.I was going to put his cage next to princesses.

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
Besides injuring/killing piggies, they can also spread diseases to the piggies. This is why they need to be housed separately.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Rabbits can be carriers of both Bordetella and Pasteurella without showing any symptoms and they can even give false negatives if tested for the diseases. Both of these diseases are usually fatal to guinea pigs. Therefore, the less direct contact between them the better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.