Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Vegeterian turned meat-eater?

aly065

Cavy Slave
Just wondering,
Has anyone here been a vegeterian for a long period of time and then decided to go back to eating meat? If you did what was the reason behind it? And also, did it cause stomach/digestion problems or cause you to become sick because your body has gone so long without digesting those protiens?

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
I started eating meat after being Vegetarian 13 years and 5ish of thoes years being vegan. I started eating meat again because I was going to travel around the world and wanted to fully experience cultures /make it easier to travel ect ect. I got VERY sick the first time I ate a good amount of cheese and fish. I still stay away from any sort of red meat so I can't tell you what that's like. Most meals I have now are Vegetarian but with my medical conditions I'm very prone to malnutrition/V-Diffidencies. I fully believe you can get everything you need and more from a Vegan diet , I just can't risk it with my health problems. I.E If I get lazy and don't make sure I get everything in the right proportions and combinations I could land myself back in the hospital.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
I slipped up about six months ago and indulged in orange chicken. I did get pretty sick, but I think it's more of a mental thing. Just thinking about eating meat makes me feel sick.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I think if you stick to low fat meats and meat as a garnish or addition to main dishes based on some other central ingredient, rather than making it the center of the meal, you have less risk of overloading your system with animal fats that make you ill. Any major change in diet can cause digestive difficulties at first, but I doubt the human body would be unable to digest the proteins of meat even after a long period away from it. I think the excessive fat is the major danger from the point of view of starting to eat meat again.
I don't eat much meat and have learned that eating a whole sausage or a home-made hamburger (which is usually the kind with the juiciest fat) will make me quite ill. According to my doc, fatty meats like these are just too rich, and if you're not used to them, they can make your gall bladder or other parts of your digestive process go haywire. Beef and lamb are the usual culprits but duck, the fattiest poultry, can do it as well. I also think factory-farmed meat has all kinds of drugs in it so I won't eat that. In the U.S. that leaves very expensive specialty organic meat, which is too expensive to eat a lot of anyway. For those with chronic iron deficiencies (that's me) only a little meat a week will give you all you need; same for the needed amino acids.
I'm married to a vegetarian of 30+ years standing. We eat fish a couple of times a week - he avoids factory-farmed, but it is not always easy to do so- but we get most of our protein from non-animal sources. If you do the same I think you shouldn't have to much trouble getting used to a bit of meat again.

aly065

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replys you guys, I find this very interesting.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I was a vegetarian for just over three years. I recently switched back to eating meat (ONLY grassfed/pastured, though) and I don't feel like going into detail about why.

If you start with poultry or fish and then progress to red meats, and only a bite or two here and there when starting out, you'll be fine. That's what I did, and I didn't and don't feel sick in the least.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.