Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Re: I don't know what to do help!

I am getting the guinea pigs this afternoon! I must correct my self, they are actually just over 1 month old. One is black, and the other is black and white. <<(roan) but don't worry, I won't be breeding them and since they are sisters it's going to be great! Once I work out how to insert a picture I will asap.
    Thanks all to following me on my guinea pig journey. But it's certinly not over yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

Congradulation!

Do you have names for them yet?

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

sometimes life throws you a curve and you need to go to a pet store and I don't think their is anything wrong with that...

Yes, there is. If you are going to buy a pet, that is. And there is something wrong from buying from a breeder as well.

Please read the information on this site relating to breeders and pet stores.

4. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

sometimes life throws you a curve and you need to go to a pet store and I don't think their is anything wrong with that...

Yes, there is. If you are going to buy a pet, that is. And there is something wrong from buying from a breeder as well.

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

Um if you actually READ my post you would have noticed this sentence "On the other hand I never go to breeders, because it's just terrible for me to think that someone is forcing their pets to have animals so that they can get money. " So please don't start assuming that I buy from breeders or that I think it is right. As for pet stores, I didn't say all pet stores are good, but I said that the one that ''I' buy from is an adoption store, they let you adopt animals.

And lastly I don't need to go reading the information on this site, because A. I already read it. B. I am very much well educated on animal abuse. C. I already know everyone's opinion when it comes to buying animals, and D. I can have my OWN opinion because I am an individual, and therefore I can think whatever I want.

I am NOT supporting breeders, and I said I was pro - adoption, but I feel that all animals deserve a good home even ones from stores and breeders.

p.s I think I understood your post the first time you posted it, posting it three times won't make me notice it anymore then I did the first time...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    243 Rec'd/183 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro_bijou View Post
    But really if you think about it, I know that buying from pet stores and breeders supposedly 'motivates' these places to continue breeding animals, but if no one ever took these animals away from these places, they would have to die or be put down, and some one has to give this animals a better life than those small glass cages right?
    Actually, if no one ever took these animals away from these places, the stores would certainly not be selling them. They need some amount of animal sales to justify the feeding and space the animals take up, even though stores don't make much, if any profit from selling them, but do profit from the 'starter cages' and bad pellets and hay that they sell along with the pigs. As it is, the animals that are not sold are put down or sent back to the breeders if female. Why be a part of this system and help perpetuate it by adding to petstores' profits?

But the Petstore's that I go to when I buy supplies and stuff are very much against breeding, and are very big on adoption.
    And where do chain petstores like Petco and Petsmart get their pigs? From breeders! Petco is a large corporation and I am sure their PR machine knows how to co-opt the "big on adoption, against breeding" line. I'm sorry, I am not buying it. (In all senses of the word.)

The following is from a post made by Ly. Please think this through, any who may be convinced by the above quotes to buy from these "noble" pet store chains.

Reasons not to buy a petstore pig:
    They most often come from piggie mills or backyard breeders where the standards of care are very poor in many cases, or in the case of small mom & pop type stores, they breed the pigs themselves usually with no knowledge of genetics or history.
    They are very often ill with URI's or other illnesses because of poor conditions.
    They can have mites or other parasites.
    If not sexed properly, sows end up pregnant.
    Many, (not all) but many, petstore employees don't have a clue about proper care. They try to sell you all types of junk that cavies do not need. Their job is to make sales for the store and that's what they do by sometimes pushing crappy treats and foods and other items that are dangerous such as wheels or balls.

9. "Thank you, Cogni, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

Of course I did not mean to post it three times. Some type of computer glitch, I guess.

Also, you're not really "pro-adoption" if you think it's okay to buy from pet stores.

11. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

At Foggycreekcavy, Just because I think that it is O.k to buy some animals in certain stores in some situations, does not mean I am not all for adoption.

Also who are you to tell me what I am? Just because I didn't adopt one pet does not make me against adoption.
    And were do you think that these animals come from? Do you think the guinea pigs at the adoption shelter just poofed out of no where? They most likely cam from a breeder too.
    I adopt because I feel good about giving an animal a better home, not because I am interested in were it came from.
    That is kind of like being racist to some pigs because they are living at a store... (theoretically speaking) They can't chose were they were born and placed.

Also petco and petsmart are very different stores, and I never buy at petsmart.

Now let me highlight some of ly's words that are important. In the first sentence she says that they most often, but there for not always, and in many cases it says they can and often,

I am not saying that Ly is wrong, but I just wanted to point out the choice of words, this shows that she too is aware that there are exceptions, and maybe the store I go to is one, even though you say it is a chain store, every one of those stores has a different manager and rules,

Lastly Please don't try to make me sound like I am some sort of evil person trying to convince people to buy pets, because I am not, but this quote "The following is from a post made by Ly. Please think this through, any who may be convinced by the above quotes to buy from these "noble" pet store chains. " Makes it seem like that is what you are saying, you are turning my words into some sort of bad language that will make people buy pets, If they do agree with me I see no problem, and I am not encouraging anyone anything.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    365 Rec'd/255 Posts

@Hamtaro. You say you know about animal abuse but it is very obvious that you don't. Because if you did then you would NOT support pet stores IN THE LEAST. You would buy your supplies from places that do not sell live animals or buy direct like many many of us do. You ESPECIALLY would not be suggesting buying an animal from a petstore. Maybe if you want to talk about this further we could start another thread and debate it? There is a lot of valid evidence out there from the ASPCA and animal protections where they have investigated so called adoption friendly places. I know many local Petsmarts do have adoptables for local shelters/rescues right in their stores for cats and dogs but what about the small animals? The lizards, the snakes? Where do you think they come from? And don't you think they deserve to be in the wild where they belong instead of a crowed shipping crate where hundreds of them die before they even reach the stores???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

Actually petco has a small critters adoption day, that includes ALL the small animals.

And seriously you don't know me, how do you know what education I have had?

And lastly, have you actually witness all of this or is this all assumptions, and things you read online? Which mostly are peoples opinions.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    365 Rec'd/255 Posts

Gabs if you are still here... If you need help posting a pic the easiest way is to have a photo account like photobucket or flicker. Upload your pics there and then after they are uploaded the site with create you a few different kinds of codes. You want to copy and paste the IMG code and when you post your pic will show up here. It works slick and then you can also use those codes other places as well, like your own website, myspace, facebook and the like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting works great, but you can also just upload it to an album on this site, and them from there place it in the thread by choosing the little picture icon in the post.

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

But I also think that animals at rescues were once from pet shops and stores. And that pets from stores are just as needing of a good home, because It really isn't their fault for being born in these places, and anyways the pets at the rescues were once born in these places but just ended up in a different place. So in theory you are right Olliepop, buying them directly from the store saves them the hardship of someone later on placing them in a shelter.
    Here's the problem with getting them from a petstore - the money that you pay for a pig at a petstore goes toward funding breeding mills that create more pigs in horrible conditions. It also compounds the already big overpopulation problem.

Adopting from a shelter or rescue, gives a pig in need of a home, most likely coming from a bad situation, a new lease on life. The money you pay as an adoption fee goes toward medical care and daily care of the other pigs in the shelter and rescue.

But the Petstore's that I go to when I buy supplies and stuff are very much against breeding, and are very big on adoption.
    Just because they have adoption events at their store does not mean they are against breeding. They get their supply of animals FROM breeders. Without breeders, they wouldn't have pigs to sell.

So I really do not agree that all pet stores are bad.
    Pet stores that do not sell live animals are fine. Pet stores that sell live animals get their animals from breeders and breeding mills. These are bad stores.

So really I think everyone should just do what they wish, It is their personal life, sometimes life throws you a curve and you need to go to a pet store and I don't think their is anything wrong with that...
    There is NEVER a need to go to a petstore to buy an animal. There is no law, no right that says we all HAVE TO own guinea pigs. If you cannot find a shelter, a rescue, a craigslist ad, a petfinder pig, etc, etc then you don't need to bring a guinea pig home at that point in time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Big news everyone!
    I got the guinea pigs!!! They are both sisters and I must correct myself... They are actually about a month old. They are soo skittish and they won't even let me touch them. They go sprinting around the cage and then into hiding. I know I have to leave them and get used to their 2 by 4 c and c cage. They haven't even touched their food Getting a bit worried... but they are so tiny and SUPER soft I will post pictures once I work out how to do it. And taking a picture of them will be a challenge. wish me luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

Aww I am so glad you finally got them.
    Its ok that they are a little skittish they will get used to you And with a big cage like a 2 by 4 it sounds like they have a great place.
    Don't be to worried about the food, they are probably just scared because they just moved to a new home. Once they adjust a bit I am sure they will start eating, maybe leave them some treats (lettuce, strawberries, cucumbers...) They might like that and come out of their houses, and it will show them that you are caring about them, and not there to hurt them.
    They must be really small at that age, I bet they are adorable too.

Best of luck with the piggies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Well the black one I am going to call Pippa and the black and white one I haven't decided yet, possibly Tallulah. Thank you all for helping me!
    GROUP HUG!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

I just gave them some food including: Lettuce (Cos <also known as romain) carrot, parsley, apple and green capsicum < also known as bell pepper.

Lots veggies have different names here in aus.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    243 Rec'd/183 Posts

Great!! Are they eating yet?
    The best way for them to get used to you is to busy yourself around their
    cage and have your hands in the cage a lot, without going after them. You can start
    by putting the food near to the hidey so they can feel safe running out and grabbing a piece and running back; but move it gradually away so that they have to come out
    to get it. If there's lots of delicious stuff there they are less likely to keep running out to eat it piece by piece. The more adventurous one will stay out to eat it, and the less adventurous one will see she is unharmed and getting all the food and so will do the same.
    Good luck with these new little sweeties!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Well I have thought of names! The black satin one is now pippa and the black and white one is now Poppa. So pip and pop!
    They ate ALL their food! I am so pround of them. I will try that trick tonight Cogni, thanx! At like, 3 o'clock in the morning they woke me up. I heard little guinea pigs chatting to each other. Not teeth chattering and not gigantic I-want-food Wheeks. Then I heard them Drinking from the bottle, eating hay/pellets, Chewing on cardboard box and running around their cage. Don't really know what all the running was all about. Hopefully popcornings! They had too much energy lastnight so I'm going to feed them a bit earlier. I will try uploading pictures now. Since they haven't really come out of their house I am using the ones that the Owner gave me.

User Tag List