Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Re: I don't know what to do help!

Hey guys again, Thanks for some more input. I have found someone who can no longer care for their guinea pigs because they are moving to a unit with not enough space and a no pets aloud rule.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

Why do they have to be young ones? I prefer adults over young ones any day. My favorite guinea pigs have been the seniors I took in. They're more laid back and are a lot easier to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabbels View Post
    You don't understand! What I mean by "popping out of no where and into my live" is:
    The guinea pig shelter currently has no young guinea pigs up for adoption. The volenteers there told me that it is always so unpredictable as to when and what guinea pigs will come next. <<< That is why I said that.
    The last thing I want to do is go to a breeder. For all I know, the guinea pigs at the shelters are healthier than others because they have had medical checks and they are monitered and house correctly.
    I never said that breeders were better than shelters. Shelters are better than breeders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

Hi Gabbels!

I am glad to here that you found some guinea pigs which you can give a new home too. I hope they enjoy their new home.
    Good luck!

oh and @ Pinky, A lot of people prefer younger guinea pigs, and truly you can never know how the older ones were handled before, it is not always true that they are easier and nicer, for example if they were abused they are definitely not going to be letting you pet them anytime soon.

Of course when you have a younger pig you can train him/ her and tame him/her how you would like.
    It is all depending on your preference really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,544 Rec'd/593 Posts

Well, it's not really accurate to suggest that a younger pig is a blank slate who will become whatever type of pig you like. They are all individuals, and some will be skittish or dislike cuddling no matter what you do.

5. "Thank you, blackarrow, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

I just find it sad for all the adult guinea pigs that get overlooked because so many people prefer babies. I think there's a misconception about cute, cuddly babies. We never recommend young guinea pigs for small children because they're so squirmy and hard to handle.

7. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

I'm with you Blackarrow and Pinky, pigs shouldn't be overlooked simply because they are older. Older pigs deserve good homes too. Sure, babies are cute and funny to watch but they also tend to be very squirmy and hyper.

I have a special place in my heart for the underdog and I tend to gravitate toward the senior or otherwise special needs pigs. I'm confident that the babies will get homes but it's the older, undersocialized or special needs pigs that I lean toward because they might otherwise be overlooked for a long time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

I can add to the don't-go-to-a-breeder argument. Because of the lack of any rescues round here whatsoever, all my pigs have been from pet-store litters; out of my 3, 2 crossed the rainbow bridge due to genetic malocclusion.

I don't mean to be discouraging; my point is, it will save you a lot of trouble and give a rescue pig a home if you adopt. And don't let them take the pig before you, just go out and adopt yourself a pig!

And yeah, older piggies tend to have some real personalities going on. My 6 year old Smudge is every bit as fantastic as he always has been.

10. "Thank you, Smudgetoffee, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

Hey guys.

Um I never said "I" was against older pigs. Did I?
    I was just explaining why Gabbles, might want a younger pig. Now as for the older guinea pigs I my self am not against them, I agree that they can be just adorable and loving as any other guinea pig, I was just explaining the scenarios in which younger guinea pigs are good. And yes it is true that older guinea pigs as well as younger guinea pigs can have been abused and therefore skittish. But if Gabbles wants a younger pig and that is what she can find, I do not see anything wrong with that.
    I personally took my piggy in based on the fact that I loved his personality not because of his age. So I was not suggesting anything.

As for the young children discussion, I personally don't let any children touch or handle any of my pets no matter what age they are, unless I know they are responsible and experienced with pets.

Oh and lastly back to the adoption discussion, I am all for adoption, but I just want to remind you that shelter animals are just as likely to have some genetic disease as pet store pets are and visa versa. After all most of the animals that go to adoption shelters were once someones pets, and they didn't just pop up in their house, they must have gotten them from somewhere. Weather it was a breeder or a pet store or they know some pet gave birth, those pets did not just show up at the shelter, so the chances of them being any healthier are not any greater (although I know they check them at the shelters I am just making a point)

Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

Yes, shelter pets may be just as likely to have genetic defects but the difference is that a reputable rescue has their guinea pigs vet checked, can recognize health problems and will treat illnesses. They either keep the guinea pigs with chronic disorders or find a home that is capable of caring for them for life. My oldest sponsored senior is my most maternal guinea pig. She's accepted every single guinea pig I've ever taken in and has cared for the ones that were old or ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro_bijou View Post
    Hey guys.

I was just explaining why Gabbles, might want a younger pig. Now as for the older guinea pigs I my self am not against them, I agree that they can be just adorable and loving as any other guinea pig, I was just explaining the scenarios in which younger guinea pigs are good. And yes it is true that older guinea pigs as well as younger guinea pigs can have been abused and therefore skittish. But if Gabbles wants a younger pig and that is what she can find, I do not see anything wrong with that.
    I personally took my piggy in based on the fact that I loved his personality not because of his age. So I was not suggesting anything.

As for the young children discussion, I personally don't let any children touch or handle any of my pets no matter what age they are, unless I know they are responsible and experienced with pets.

Oh and lastly back to the adoption discussion, I am all for adoption, but I just want to remind you that shelter animals are just as likely to have some genetic disease as pet store pets are and visa versa. After all most of the animals that go to adoption shelters were once someones pets, and they didn't just pop up in their house, they must have gotten them from somewhere. Weather it was a breeder or a pet store or they know some pet gave birth, those pets did not just show up at the shelter, so the chances of them being any healthier are not any greater (although I know they check them at the shelters I am just making a point)

13. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro_bijou View Post
    Hey guys.

Never said you nor the OP were against older piggies, was just reinforcing the point others were making since the OP did not specify.

Some may come from accidental litters and the such.

And I'm aware of that yeah, some shelters will say where they're from though. Paperwork etc. Again, that's up to the OP.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    365 Rec'd/255 Posts

So how is it going with the possible adoption? Is it a go or no go? If they email you pics we would love to see them... We love piggy pics. There are pros AND cons for both babies, adults AND seniors but the ultimate choice is ADOPTION not breeder/pet store. There are also few differences in care for males vs females. They too have their pros and cons. All are capable of love and affection just depends on how you treat them and give them the respect they want/need. Some need space, some dont.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Well here's the story:
    The owners purchased a guinea pig who turned out to be pregnant
    Unable to look after the litter, they are selling all including the mummy because: 1. They can't look after them (not enough time)
    2. They are moving where there is not enough space
    3. And a no pets alowed rule.

I am confused as to why they bought the guinea pig from the pet shop and ended up moving... strange right?

Since they are still reletivley young, I have to wait a week or something? Only now have they replied to my emails -__- so i will probably call them soon.
    As for the shelter, I am happy. They only have like, 5 guinea pigs there now! All of them have and will be finding a new home.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    243 Rec'd/183 Posts

Poor little piggies, brought into the world by irresponsible people who immediately wanted to dump them! I hope you get one of them and will be able to give your pigs long, happy lives! (and will be able to show us some pics!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

AHHH! SO EXCITED! They are 4-5 months old, a picture will be up once I work out how to do it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

petfinder.com ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

Hi Gabbels I am so glad everything turned out great!

How many are you planing on taking in? You must be so excited

Now as for the post above, I think I can answer your question..^ I believe Petfinder only posts animals for adoption from shelters and foster homes, and since these guinea pigs are from private people who can no longer care for them I don't think Gabbels found them on Petfinder.. But I could be wrong

And
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogni View Post
    Poor little piggies, brought into the world by irresponsible people who immediately wanted to dump them! I hope you get one of them and will be able to give your pigs long, happy lives! (and will be able to show us some pics!!)

That's a pretty big assumption. I don't think these people intended on their piggy to be pregnant, so they were not really irresponsible, and they didn't really bring anything into the world by choice. And you can't really make the assumption that they wanted to immediately dump them, they might have a reason for no longer being able to take care of the pigs. so that's all I just wanted to point those things out.

Well all in all good luck with your pigs Gabbels!
    I hope they enjoy their new home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Hey, since this thread is still alive and active, How do I change my "cavy newbie" lable?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Lots of people are really anti-breeder with their responses, and i can understand why, but aren't those bigs just as in need of a loving home as any other? If a responsible pet owner buys from a breeder, then that could prevent a non responsible pet owner from buying from a breeder and having the pig end up in rescue.

23. "Thank you, OlliePop, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Yep, that is one point of view. When I was first looking into getting another guinea pig my parents told me too just bye 2 from the pet shop and "save their lives" ... and I was like NO and I'm glad I did!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts

I usually adopt, because I think that giving an animal a new point of view on life is a great thing.

But I also think that animals at rescues were once from pet shops and stores. And that pets from stores are just as needing of a good home, because It really isn't their fault for being born in these places, and anyways the pets at the rescues were once born in these places but just ended up in a different place. So in theory you are right Olliepop, buying them directly from the store saves them the hardship of someone later on placing them in a shelter.

But then again it is always nice to help an animal that has suffered so much in life...
    This is such a complicated subject, that it really just depends on where you find the pigs that you 'fall in love with' or just know that they are the ones you want.

On the other hand I never go to breeders, because it's just terrible for me to think that someone is forcing their pets to have animals so that they can get money. But the Petstore's that I go to when I buy supplies and stuff are very much against breeding, and are very big on adoption. Pet Adoptions - Think Adoption First with the PETCO Foundation
    And ill quote them "PETCO strongly recommends that anyone looking to add a new pet to their family consider adopting a pet in need of a loving home, rather than purchasing one."
    So I really do not agree that all pet stores are bad.

Also
    I even know a pet store that gets its pets from when peoples pets have babies, for example if someone insists on getting a male and female, (I don't know say they have a boy and girl child that each want a pet) and they put them in two different cages, but they boy gets in and you know. So they they can give the babies back to the store. That way the store does not get its animals from mills and breeders.

So really I think everyone should just do what they wish, It is their personal life, sometimes life throws you a curve and you need to go to a pet store and I don't think their is anything wrong with that...

Ok well I will finish off my extremely long post with answering Gabbles question, you newbie statues should change after a month, or sometimes if you make more posts, so it depends, but if you wait a month it should definitely change

User Tag List