Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Couple of Questions about new Piggies

CherryGumBall

Cavy Slave
Hello guys!

I just have a couple questions that the general community on guineapigcages might be able to help me with, if possible. :) First of all; I have three lovely guinea pigs, Mabel, Amy and Melody. I recently adopted Amy and Melody, a Silkie and a Short-Haired, respectively. They seems quite happy in their 2x7 with 1x3 loft, and they're running around a bit, but when I got Amy, she had several matted patches near her bum, and whilst I've been able to cut off most of the mats, the mats run really close to her skin. The rest of her coat seems well-taken care of by her previous owner, but I guess not enough care was paid attention to her rear. My question is; should I try and cut the last of her mats, or should I wait until it grows out and try to cut again? I'm grooming her and the rest of the piggies daily, but I'd like your guys' advice if possible.

My other question also revolves around Amy, the Silkie, when she first came to me, she seemed very close to the other pig, Melody, but now she's a bit distant and withdrawn from the rest of the pigs. She'll usually be hiding in a hut while the other two popcorn around. Is this normal? It's been about two weeks since I've gotten them, and she just seems a little withdrawn.

My last question is just a general question, and I'm just curious about how long it took for your piggies to warm up to you. When I pet mine, they purr and seem happy, but when I approach them, they try to run away, is this normal? Sorry for so many questions!

Cheers, and thank you so much,
CherryGumBall

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Q1. Answer: Take alot of care when cutting the tangled fur. If you think you can do it, go ahead but the last thing you want to do is cut their skin. The problem is letting the hair grow, and the matt getting worse.

Q2. Answer: If you know this pig well, there maybe something wrong with her as most illnesses start with the guinea pig not being their selves. But if she is young, she might feel a bit left out from the other pig or having a bit of a 'mood swing' If you are worried, keep a close eye on her and/or weigh here regularly

Q3. Answer: They will get used to you in more time, but patting them is the best way to bond with them as well as hand feeding them.

Hope I helped!

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
Q1. Answer: Take alot of care when cutting the tangled fur. If you think you can do it, go ahead but the last thing you want to do is cut their skin. The problem is letting the hair grow, and the matt getting worse.

Q2. Answer: If you know this pig well, there maybe something wrong with her as most illnesses start with the guinea pig not being their selves. But if she is young, she might feel a bit left out from the other pig or having a bit of a 'mood swing' If you are worried, keep a close eye on her and/or weigh here regularly

Q3. Answer: They will get used to you in more time, but patting them is the best way to bond with them as well as hand feeding them.

Hope I helped!:eek:

Gabbels

Cavy Slave
sorry about the double post! >.<

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You can let the mat grow out a bit more.

It's totally normal for guinea pigs to run when you try to catch them and pick them up. It's scary for them, and instinct since they are prey animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.