Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables What does one cup of vegetables look like?

Filly

Cavy Slave
I have two girls I recently adopted. I am planning on feeding them their veggies in the morning and at night, so I was curious if someone could show me what a cup of lettuce and vegetables actually looks like? Yes, I have read the sample diet threads. The reason I'm asking is I don't eat salads so am not used to measuring/eyeballing myself. I am not sure what one considers a large leaf or small leaf of lettuce. I've tried various Google image searches with no luck. Thank you for your help.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
A cup of veggies would fill an 8oz drinking glass and is pretty close to a handful with fingers partially closed.

Filly

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I am using clear ramekin bowls from Walmart for veggies and pellets. Would you say one cup of veggies would easily fit in one?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Ramekins come in different sizes so I can't be certain.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
You see, that is why I appreciate Ly&Pigs daily diet sample menu's so much. For with lettuce leaves and such, it is hard for me to determine what a cups worth would equal out to.

An good example of one evening meal (1/2 cup for each piggie, which equals out to 1cup for 2 piggies), below.

Curly Endive-4 large leaves
Basil-3-4 leaves
Red Bell Pepper-1/8 pepper
Cilantro/Coriander-4-6 sprigs
Cucumber-1/2" chunk
Blueberries-4

DustDevil

Cavy Slave
It is much more accurate to measure solids like veggies by weighing them, rather than trying to measure them by volume as you would with liquids. 1 cup is 8 fluid ounces, but 8 fl. oz. of a solid veggie could weigh much more or less than 8 ounces, which is half of one pound.
If you can eyeball a half a pound (8 oz) of veggies easier than imagining a cup, that could be a way to gauge it. Or if you buy veggies by the pound than you can seperate them quite easily into 1/2 pound portions.
...this is assuming there is no other reason for measuring these solids by liquid volume for which I'm unaware.

jenga122

Cavy Slave
A half pound of vegetables is a completely different measurement than a cup of veggies.

To feed a guinea half of their body weight eache day seems completely out of question to me.

We feed out 3 guinea pigs 3 medium sized dog bowls of veggies a day. It mat be a little more than a cup for each bowl. This includes multiple veggies including 2 lettuces, green and yellow peppers, occasional tomatoes and other fruits.

If they start getting heavy we cut them back a little and if they stay the same we stick with the same amount give or take a little. Weekly weigh ins is a good idea to help keep their weight in check. When they are babies you want them to grow but their weight should level off at about 6 to 10 months. You will tell if they look like they are getting too fat and will soon see what seems like a good weight for them.

DustDevil

Cavy Slave
I'm sure that you're right, the reason must be to restrict the volume that passes through their digestive systems, since a half a pound could be dramatically different in volume depending on which veggie you are giving. Reading the posting got me thinking about that though. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.