Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Picky eaters?

amberle

Cavy Slave
We got our new piggies, a male and female (neutered/spayed) bonded pair. They are absolutely adorable. They have been here for a week now and doing well. Their daily diet consists of lettuce (2 leaves each), a baby carrot, some cilantro, and twice a week blueberries.

So far they show no interest in any type of pepper or even most fruits. I always put in 2 slices of pepper and a grape tomato for each but they have zero interest. I have tried cucumbers and zuchinni and they sniff and have no interest.

So to my question, is there anything that is equivalent in nutrition to peppers (as in give it in a daily fashion) that I can introduce to them and see if they like it? I know they are still adjusting, but would like to know if anyone has issues with piggies not liking peppers.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
One of the best ways I've seen to get a GP to eat new veggies is to let them see that it's good to eat. Usually another pig will show them but since you have 2 hesitant veggie explorers you will need to show them.

During floor time, when it's easier to get face to face with them, give them their veggies along with some of the new stuff. Let them see you bite off and eat a piece of pepper and then offer the remaining piece to them. If they still hesitate then eat another small piece and repeat. It may take some time for them to realize they like it but most GPs eventually start eating.

Cucumbers should be easier because I have yet to meet a GP that doesn't think cucumber is awesome. None of mine really liked zucchini though.

Once they try one or two new things introducing others will be easier as they will start to trust you to give them good stuff.

Sometimes, cutting the "suspicious veggies" into small pieces encourages them to try a nibble.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try dicing things they don't like into extremely small pieces and put it on top of something they do like. I taught mine to eat zucchini, green beans, endive and cucumber by finely dicing it and putting on top of their pellets. I did one thing until they started eating it, then started slicing it and putting it with the rest of their veggies. Then I'd start on another new item on top of the pellets.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Wow. I wasn't nearly as kind as you both were. I continued to put them out, and didn't give them much else unless they finished most of their green peppers. ( That veggie took them the longest time to eat, out of all the other veggies I give them. Other than zucchini, thankfully my girls like a wide variety of veggies and fruits now.

I got firmer with the green peppers eventually because of advice I had received on here, and because during the expensive winter months, when peppers are at their highest, I was throwing/wasting too many uneaten green peppers ! Also, since green peppers are such an awesome, everyday food ( low in calories, low in sugar and high in Vit. C) I wanted them, to learn to like it.

Green peppers are still not their favourite veggie in the world, but at least now they eat them ! "Whew"!

P.S. My girls just love blueberries ! Raspberries too ! I give those more frequently, than I do other fruits.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I think the only things my pigs won't eat are zucchini. They won't touch them.w

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
My fam won't touch em' either !! (zucchini) I don't really like them either, I have to admit.

My daughter and I do not like green peppers either, but I do put them in stews and pasta sauces though. My husband really likes peppers, but he is the only one. I love most veggies though !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.