Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Rabbit diet...

laurenellis_

Cavy Slave
Hi all, :D

I'm going to get a rabbit in several weeks (waiting until I move house as I wouldn't want to disturb the rabbit if I got it now!)

I have the C&C grids and just waiting on the coroplast. I am going to dedicate one of the spare rooms in the new house to my bunny so I can have a big cage and then time outside the cage without it being limited size.

However, I haven't had a rabbit in years (since I was about 6/7, I'm now 17) and I was just wondering if you guys would help me on the rabbit diet... I've heard Oxbow Rabbit Pellets are good? And Timothy Hay? But seeing as I will be getting a young rabbit, (preferably 10 weeks old as I am going to get it from a trusted breeder) do they have to have different feed or hay? And for how long untill I can swith to adult food?

And does also anyone know good UK suppliers of rabbit feed/hay?

(Sorry for the 21 questions, I just want to get it right!) lol

Thanks everyone,
Lauren.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Oxbow is a good rabbit food. Bunny 15/23 (I think that's what the alfalfa is called) for 6 months or younger and Bunny Basics T for over.

Timothy , bermuda, or orchard are good hays same as for piggies.

Get your bunny from a rescue. I don't know about in the UK but over here the rabbit is right behind the dog and cat in being killed at the shelters. I'm sure there are lots of shelters and rescues there.

Like guinea pigs they like company and it's best to get two that are spayed or neutered. That way it'll be easier to litter box train them and cut out ovarian or testical cancer.

They also need veggies. Pretty much the same as piggies. I feed everyone the same veggies. My buns now eat the dill that I give the pigs.

I love having rabbits but they are brats. Mine eat the carpet and some will dig at the wood floor and do other mischevious things.

Last edited:

Jodie

Cavy Slave
Please do not get from a Breeder....there are many rabbit rescues as well.

Jodie

Cavy Slave
My bunny is free roam...he is well behaved and litter trained and can do tricks. I put him in his cage when I am not at home just to be safe, but I have left him out many times without worry. Feed Only Timothy Hay..as large amounts of alfalfa are not good for them and may cause calcium build up. And only 1/4 cup of pellets per day. There main diet should consist of Timothy Hay. Do not give Lettuce of any kind as it is not good for them and will cause diarrhea. They may have apple, parsley, green pepper etc...in small amounts a few times a week as a treat.

laurenellis_

Cavy Slave
Thank you Deb's4Pigs and Jodie! It's really helpful...
I've found a couple of rescue homes near me and will deffinately take a look further. Thanks for the idea! :)

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Iceberg lettuce isn't good like for pigs but any other kind is good. Mine get romaine, red or green leaf, endive, escorole, bell peppers, tomatoes, cilantro , parsley once a week, kale once a week, red or green leaf chard once a week, dandelion greens once a week. I don't feed much fruit. Once in a great while. It has a lot of sugar so it's for treats. I feed them everything I feed the pigs. I cut a half a bell pepper into quarters and every pig and bun get 1/8 every day as well as 1/2 a grape or tomato. Sometimes bunnies get a whole grape or cherry tomato. Mine also get a spring mix.

They need lettuces and veggies just like the pigs. Start out slow with the veggies and build up to 1 cup a day. I can't remember if they should get one cup or two cups a day. It also depends upon the size of the rabbit. Smaller breeds get less veggies than larger breeds.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
They need at least 2 cups of veggies per 6 pounds of body weight

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I just couldn't remember.

Jodie

Cavy Slave
I have to disagree. I have done extensive research and my vet says no lettuce at all. Its too watery and causes diarrhea. I do give him other greens and veggies, but if you do some research...you will find that it should not be given every day. I'm glad it works for you okay, and not saying you are wrong, I'm just stating that vegetables should not be given in high qualities. Their digestive system is much different then a piggy.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
We'll have to disagree then. lol I've had rabbits for over 20 years and always given them lettuce as well as the other veggies I give my pigs. It's kinda the same as the pigs. Too much and they'll get loose stools. I know both buns and pigs have had too much when their stools are loose.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
Jodie: If your vet says no lettuce at all, I would switch vets. Please see this page for more infomation about bunny diets: FAQ: Diet

OP: I do hope you get your bun from a rescue! One they are spayed or neutered their true personality will come out. When you get a baby you really have no idea what the rabbit will be like when it is older. Also, with all the rabbits in the shelters there is a big need for adoptive homes. Good luck with your new bunny! Sounds like you are really on your way to being a great bunny mom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.