Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Possessiveness

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Just curious, does anyone's guinea pig do something that the others do not? Charlie will use his mouth to pull the food bowl toward him rather than walk up to it. It's not an easy task either as the bowls are the heavy ceramic type. He doesn't do it all the time, most times, it's when the others are around and he wants first dibs at the food LOL.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Tufty likes to stay in his pigloo sometimes and won't be lured out even with food. But then he'll lift his head in the entrance to the pigloo in a series of jerks so that he can turn the entrance--thus the whole pigloo-- exactly in the way he wants, which is generally the direction of the food, once it is left there. Then with a similar head-lifting action, he'll drag the whole pigloo forward, towards the food--it looks like a big pink turtle moving along in little jerks, with a little furry face in the neck. THEN he'll rush out and grab as much of the goodies as he can--the biggest piece of lettuce, or whatever it is; backpedal cutely and drag it into the pigloo; and then turn the whole pigloo back around to face the corner. Then he is well protected in a little fortress and can greedily eat his pile of food with no one disturbing him!!lol

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
My girl Buttercup does something very similar to what CavyMama's piggie does ! However, I use bird cups :p ( I KNOW... it sounds weird, to use bird cups, but they have hooks on them, they work really well, and never get tipped over !!) for their pellets, and she will pull the cup 2 or 3 times toward her, every time she goes to eat some pellets throughout the day !

It is not an easy thing to do, since they have long hooks which hook on to the coroplast, and the pellet cup ends up all the way in the middle of the cage ! I keep them (2 bird cups) all the way at one end of their cage, where I feed them their plate of veggies, where their water bottle is, also.

Buttercup does something else too, that may or may not be typical, I don't know. When she popcorns, she popcorns like 7 inches up into the air ! I know it is 7 inches, because my coro sides are 6 inches, and from all the way from my chair I can see her jumps over the coroplast wall !!! My little Olympian.....❤️ *Note* Their cage is on a stand........

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.