Thread: First Thoughts

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks

Re: First Thoughts

I am sorry that I picked up the wrong meanings behind words and phrases. Hard to pick up on tone from words. I guess, I just jumped to conclusions.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Not sure if I messed up my other post or not since it hasn't been approved.. just in case, I'm posting again but sorry if this is an un-intentional double post.

Look.. I'm sorry for the trouble. I didn't mean to be antagonizing at all. I was upset that a mod deleted my first post here looking for help and then didn't respond to any PM's. I wanted to prove myself, but that question has still yet to be answered. I don't care anymore... I don't want to argue.

My only main point was.. how can a newcomer tell who to trust or who is reliable to go to? What credentials or proof can you ask for? I don't know of any GP veterinary degree or school.. or if there are breeder certificates.. etc. I've seen a lot of negative things said about all sources, so I'm curious how you can sift through them objectively.

Obviously I made a bad impression on this forum.. Sorry for that.. it's not my intent. I can take my questions elsewhere if needed.

You can delete/lock/move this thread now. It's of no consequence...

3. "Thank you, Ertras, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator! VoodooJoint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3,254 Rec'd/801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ertras View Post
    how can a newcomer tell who to trust or who is reliable to go to? What credentials or proof can you ask for?
    There are certain signs to looks for

A rescue will -
    -want to meet you in person
    -have you fill out an adoption form
    -speak to you about your knowledge of GPs and educate you on any areas you may be lacking
    -they will have their GPs housed in appropriate, large (likely C&C type) cages, indoors. Exceptions can be made for animals in quarantine or under medical treatment that are in smaller petstore cages.

Signs you are likely dealing with a breeder
    -They have babies available regularly
    -they talk of pedigree or lineage or showability
    -they do not have you fill out an adoption form
    -they are more concerned about the money they will charge you then insuring you are a good and devoted home
    -they house their animals in a shed, barn or in small cages.

Really it's not hard to tell a real rescue from a breeder. Listen to how they talk and what they say. Ask them straight out how much they sell their GPs for. A breeder will give you a price, a rescue will straight up tell you that they don't "sell" their animals and will tell you that you need to fill out an adoption form first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertras View Post
    I've seen a lot of negative things said about all sources, so I'm curious how you can sift through them objectively.
    how can a newcomer tell who to trust or who is reliable to go to? What credentials or proof can you ask for?
    You need to go with your gut. Anyone who will sell you an animal without asking much about you and your knowledge/intent does not care about the animals. That is why you will NEVER find petstore animals that come from a responsible/good breeder. If they are selling their animals to a second party to blindly sell to a third party how in the world can they possibly care about the animals? If they don't care about the long term wellbeing then they don't care about the health of the animals either. They are breeding for cute and for volume. What happens to the animal, and to you, later on is not their concern.

You don't just need to get your GPs from a rescue either. Look on Craigslist and other community classifieds. You are likely to find people looking to get rid of their pets--animals they bought that they decided were too much trouble so they no longer want them. By taking those animals you are getting them out of a possibly neglectful situation without giving the petstores any more money.
    Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You can't let the world judge you too much.

Maude from Harold and Maude

5. "Thank you, VoodooJoint, for this useful post," say these 6 members:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

WOW. Thank you so much, for that awesome information VoodooJoint! Thanks for the great educational insight, in case I ever decide to adopt another piggie someday !

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

VJ,

If you haven't already, that post would be great as a sticky for the forum. Something that could be referred to when people are asking about the difference between rescues and breeders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3,254 Rec'd/801 Posts

There is something similar to it here http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...-adopting.html
    Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You can't let the world judge you too much.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

VJ, I agree with CavyMama, that would be wonderful if you were able to do that !

CavyMama, or anyone for that matter, what are "stickies"? All this time I thought they were threads or posts...but have never been quite sure, what a sticky was.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts

Oh ! I never knew about this thread...that is great, thanks VJ !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3,254 Rec'd/801 Posts

A sticky is a thread or post that has been "stuck" to the top of the listing. If you go to just about any forum section you will see some posts at the top that never move. They are stuck there so they are always easy to find. Often stuck threads cannot be responded to.

12. "Thank you, VoodooJoint, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kathlaaron View Post
    VJ, I agree with CavyMama, that would be wonderful if you were able to do that !

CavyMama, or anyone for that matter, what are "stickies"? All this time I thought they were threads or posts...but have never been quite sure, what a sticky was.
    My understanding is that "stickies" are posts that stay at the top - in plain view - for easy reference rather than getting scrolled down as new posts are added. Usually they are informational in nature and an answer to questions that are asked a lot.
    Last edited by CavyMama; 05-31-11 at 12:39 pm.

14. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts

Thank you, VJ. That really helps clarify things up. Sorry to have riled up things in the process.

16. "Thank you, Ertras, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List