Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I need advice: my girl has red ears and mouth

Hi everyone!

I need advice because I think one of my girls is sick. I didn't notice anything until this afternoon when I arrived from work, she was just laying in a corner and didn't move much, not even when I tried to take her. Her ears and mouth are very red and she is warmer than normal.
    I thought maybe she was like that because it was a hot today so I gave her a short bath with cold water but she was still red afterwards. I also put a cold water bottle in the cage so she could go there is she wanted too but nothing, I opened the windows of the apartment and now it is not warm anymore and she is still red and warm.
    She is not scratching and I haven't seen anymore symptoms. However, the girls are now in their floor time and she is not playing or running much.
    I have no idea what it could be but I am guessing it could be fever.... so I would appreciate any advice. what should I search for? and is there something I can do or something I can give her? should I take her to the vet? it is already 9 pm here so no vet is open until tomorrow morning...

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Re: I need advice: my girl has red ears and mouth

Can you find an emergency vet? How hot was it today? Guinea pigs are very susceptible to heat stroke, and heat stroke is an emergency situation.

3. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually, it wasn't that warm, it was 20-25 C max, so I don't really think it was a heat stroke. And as I said I gave her a bath with cold water to be on the safe side. She just ate her normal dinner but she is still red. Any other idea?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Re: I need advice: my girl has red ears and mouth

I just woke up in the middle of the night because I heard a different noise from another of my girls, it is like a wheezing but she doesn't have red ears or mouth like caramelo. I am just wondering if this can be related. I will go with them to the vet first thing in the morning (it is 4:30 am here) but I still appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,516 Rec'd/2,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)

You need to get them both (all?) to an emergency vet immediately. Do not wait.

Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoyVaini View Post
    I just woke up in the middle of the night because I heard a different noise from another of my girls, it is like a wheezing but she doesn't have red ears or mouth like caramelo. I am just wondering if this can be related. I will go with them to the vet first thing in the morning (it is 4:30 am here) but I still appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    Dearest ChocoyVaini,

Hello there my friend !! It has been SO LONG since I have heard from you ! I am so sorry that your piggies are sick, and I know you must be just beside yourself with worry, as I know what a good piggie Mom you are !

Earlier I had read your post, and looked around for possible causes, but due to the limited symptoms you had observed, I came up empty, so I didn't have any worthwhile advise to offer you !

Please let us know what your Vet has to say, o.k. ? I will be praying for you and for your sick piggies hon, and hope it is nothing too serious.

Warm wishes and BIG HUGS !
    Last edited by kathlaaron; 05-24-11 at 09:59 pm. Reason: adding

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just came back from the vet, I took 2 of my 3 girls, she said that they have parasites and that is the reason of caramel's red ears, mouth and now some part of her skin.
    She applied some Selamectin in their skin and gave me one more flask to apply to mi other girl. She also gave me some antibiotics (Baytril) to give them once a day for 10 days. She told me after that caramel skin will be white again.
    What do you guys think? is there something else I can do to help them? I guess with the antibiotics they are going to be a bit sick, do you have any recommendations?

And Kath thank you very much for your support, you know it means a lot to me. I'm sorry I wasn't around for such a long time but I've been really busy with the PhD and because my parents were visiting me here and then my uncle came as well so lately I barely have time to sleep. How are you? and how are your girls doing? Big hugs for you too!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Selamectin is Revolution, and it's fine for mites. The antibiotics must be for the wheezing you heard--the vet probably feels they have URIs. Baytril can cause stomach upset, so it's best to also give a probiotic.

10. "Thank you, foggycreekcavy, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks foggycreekcavy! I was wondering what kind of probiotic can you give to guinea pigs? I only know about yogourt and I am sure they can not have that so what can I give them?

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/95 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know I'm going to spell it wrong because I just woke up but acidopholis. I can't remember if it's one or two hours before or after they get their meds.

13. "Thank you, Deb's4Pigs, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    172 Rec'd/140 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's at least one hour before ab's. Mix the dose with pureed veggies, Critical Care or wet pellets and give with a syringe. That way the piggie gets more, if not all of the dose and it doesn't sit in uneaten food. You can buy regular acidophilus in capsule form at a health food store. You can also get Probiocin from your vet. It's a probiotic gel in a syringe. Just dial up the dose and push the plunger. My three pound boys got 1 gram of Probiocin every other day while they were on ab's. No yogurt though, as piggies are lactose intolerent.

15. "Thank you, Toadies, for this useful post," says:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    111 Rec'd/89 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Question Re: I need advice: my girl has red ears and mouth

Question regarding mites and lice.
    How do guinea pigs get them?
    Do they have to come in contact with them in order to contract them?
    I am terrified of taking my boys outside this summer because I am afraid of what the grass may contain.

If I am in sometime of violation by posting this question within another person's question, please forgive me and chalk it up to ignorance and not blatant disregard for rules.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kim37040; 05-26-11 at 01:00 pm. Reason: apology disclaimer

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you so much Toadies and Deb! I will try to find tomorrow the probiocin tomorrow in the netherlands, guinea pigs are more common there so it will be easier. So far the girls are doing good, still eating everything.
    I have one question though, not related, but do you guys know what can replace lettuce for the daily diet? I don't know if you have heard but there is a health emergency here in germany and the health minister has recommended no to eat lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber because they are contaminated with E.Coli, I don't know if gp can be affected by E.Coli but I am afraid they may get sick if I give them lettuce. :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim37040 View Post
    Question regarding mites and lice.
    How do guinea pigs get them?
    Do they have to come in contact with them in order to contract them?
    I am terrified of taking my boys outside this summer because I am afraid of what the grass may contain.

If I am in sometime of violation by posting this question within another person's question, please forgive me and chalk it up to ignorance and not blatant disregard for rules.

Thanks!
    I have the same question Kim, I would like to know because I don't want my girls to get them again!!!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoyVaini View Post
    I have the same question Kim, I would like to know because I don't want my girls to get them again!!!
    Lice are species specific so the only way they can get lice is to be exposed to another guinea pig with lice or lice eggs. The eggs can be transferred on someone or something that comes in contact with the lice or eggs and then comes in contact with a guinea pig. They should not be exposed to lice outdoors unless they came in contact with another guinea pig with lice out there. Mites are also transferred from guinea pig to guinea pig. The difference is that sometimes guinea pigs have mites but don't show symptoms until they are under stress. Mites are not species specific. Birds and outdoor animals can carry mites. They need a host to feed on but I think there is a chance they could be exposed to mites while being outdoors.
    Last edited by pinky; 05-26-11 at 05:37 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

From what I read on guinea lynx it depends on whether it is "mange mites or the sellnik mite". Mange mites are already present in guinea pigs, which lay dormant under their skin, and like pinky mentioned above, become a problem when they are living in poor conditions or are under stress. The sellnik mite is the one that can only be passed from one piggie to another through direct contact with another infected animal.http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Hope this helps guys !

ChocoVaini--Is it all leafy greens that are said in your region to contain ecoli, or is it just the lettuce ? Do your girls like cilantro ? For that can be fed to them on a daily basis. Do they like zucchini ? Or green peppers.. For that is another everyday food too. Or what about pet grass, which you can purchase online or grow yourself ? Or fresh green grass that is pesticide free ( and grass that is not frequently used by other animals) might be an option for you too, dear !
    Last edited by kathlaaron; 05-26-11 at 05:57 pm. Reason: correction

Thanks
    Thanks
    272 Rec'd/235 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

Also according to guinea lynx probiotics should be given one or two hours after the antibiotic is given. If one of your piggies is healthy, you could use half a dropping of poop and dissolve it with a small amount of water and add it to their food, (or in a syringe) or like suggested above by Toadies, you could buy an acidophilus gel tablet and sprinkle it over their food too.
    Last edited by kathlaaron; 05-26-11 at 06:14 pm. Reason: correction

User Tag List