Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching I need some help

annieo88

Cavy Slave
I have 2 piggies that are both male. All of a sudden they are scratching like crazy. The older one has one one side what looks like bite marks. They are red marks and I don't know what they are. They are only on one side of his body. I just read something online and it sounded like it could be mites if so how do i treat them? The other younger piggy seems to be fine he scratches a little but he doesn't have any sores or marks on him. I don't have any vets near me that would see them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do have fleece bedding but I just want them to be happy and comfy again. Please someone help me help my piggies.

annieo88

Cavy Slave
It is almost like he has dry skin. I'm not sure what it is and there are no guinea pig vets in my area. I tried to look at pictures online but they don't really look like him. He is only losing a couple stands of hair with a scab. He keeps scratching. Not sure what to do any help would be great. Thanks

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
To treat mites yourself you need ivermectin. You can get it from a feed store or order it online. Guinea lynx has a seller that has it. My little piggie marketplace. You put it on topically behind the ears on the bald spot.

annieo88

Cavy Slave
Ok so I'm confused. ivermectin is a horse paste for a de-wormer. Thats what i buy and then give it to my piggy? Isn't that a bit powerful for them?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Go on the guinea lynx forum they have the dosage to give them. You need to have a scale and weigh them and follow the directions that the sticky has. I don't know how to copy and paste so I can't direct you right to it. But don't get the paste get the injectible and you apply it topically. You can ask at the pharmacy for syringes and tell them it's for your guinea pig and see if they'll give it to you.

I hope I'm making sense. I'm very tired. Just got home.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, check out https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_treatment.html and all the other links on that page about dosing.

Ivermectin is indeed used for de-worming horses. It is also used for heartworms in dogs. Vets use it off-label for parasites in guinea pigs and other small animals. Treating for mites with ivermectin will not hurt your pig, if done according the the dosing instructions on Guinea Lynx.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yes it sounds like mites. Please treat with ivermectin asap.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.