Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm back but with Barry and Burt

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Wow! It's nice to be back on the forum, you may not remember me I used to be known as Getting.cavys, I no longer have that account anymore. I used to own two guinea pigs called Itsy and Bitsy (adopted). They have passed away unfortunately, I miss them terribly.

Now years later I've joined with a fresh start with two brand new cavys, Burt and Barry! (adopted). Two young men whom are very sweet but still very nervous as they have only been with me for 3 days. Their are signs of being more relaxed around me and my partner but its still early days to be able to explain their personalities at the moment.
I'm so excited to be back! :D

I will post some pictures as soon as I can!

One question I do have is... How can I make them warm up to me more easily? I'm a little rusty guys haha!

What I am trying is:
-short but sweet cuddles
-offering food by hand
-talking to them when I walk in the room

Thank you for reading, hope to hear from a few of you guys!

Last edited:

KateandOscar

Cavy Slave
First, welcome back! Second, those are great ways to get them to warm up to you. One thing that gets them used to you in their cage so they dont run when you go to pick them up is to try to be doing something in their cage as much as possible. Pick up poop, rearrange the cage, give them veggies by hand, just be in their cage as much as possible to get them used to you. Giving them lap time while hand feeding veggies is also good, and just try to spend as much time around them as possible and they will warm up to you!

Getting.cavys

Cavy Slave
Thank you KateandOscar, that's a good tip! I'll do that.

I had them out running around on my bed, they loved it!.. but we had an accident with a pillow (pee) haha! I've learnt my lesson to set up a secure area on the floor with news paper and towels. It has been a while and golly do you forget simple common sense with piggies!

KateandOscar

Cavy Slave
haha, yes, I dont put them on my bed or carpet for that exact reason. My floor time is always on tile with a fleece blanket over it so that I can just wash the fleece and wipe up pee spots :).

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
WELCOME BACK Lorraiine ! :)

I think you are doing great, you don't sound rusty to me at all ! It'll all come back to you ! I think KateandOscar gave you great advice, and I "ditto" that ! Have you had a chance to view Ly&Pigs nutritional chart and sample daily diet menu ? Here is the link below if you need it !

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

Again, welcome back to you and your new boys Barry and Burt !

Last edited:

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome back. Can't wait to see pics of your boys.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Yes, we look forward to see some pigtures of your new boys, Burt and Barry ! How old are they ?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.