Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Do vets charge for nail trimming?

Ena_MM

Cavy Slave
My dad used to do the nail trimmings for my pig but Snowball is at my friend's place because my family is moving and there's too much going on. My friend owns a bunny and he does regular nail trimmings for her. But I'm not sure if same details apply with bunny nail trimming. So I'm thinking maybe he can bring Snowball to a vet for nail trimming just in case. He got black paws, which makes it harder to see the blood vessels.

I've never taken him to a vet for nail trimming before. Do they usually charge for only nail trimming? A vet check up over here is about $60 by the way.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Yes, they charge for nail trimmings as these also take an appointment & the vet's time. My vet carges about $8 for both my girls. Some pet stores also trim nails.

jenga122

Cavy Slave
They will most definitely charge. Just call a cavy savy vet near your friend and ask them what their fee would be. I would guess around $15 to $20.

A pet groomer may also be able to do it but you would have to call one to make sure.

Things may be different in Canada than they are where I live though so I can't guarantee my info is good.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Or check a grooming shop and see if they charge and how much. Some vets charge a lot for nails.

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
I would call ahead and double check. There is veterinarian in my area that includes nail trimming in the exam at no cost. Which is convenient.

chubbypiggies

Cavy Slave
I know the vet in Richmond (little paws clinic) charges $15.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Clipping guinea pig nails is just like clipping rabbit nails. Your friend could most likely do it for you.

anwaflynurse

Cavy Slave
I called around for the best price because I am just too nervous to trim their nails. Vets I found are the highest price. I called several groomers and they will do it from $5 to $10. I found a groomer who comes by my house one a month after she gets off work and I pay her $5 for each animal, (she does the dogs too)

Last edited:

magik

Cavy Slave
Our vet the one and only that will deal with guinea pigs charges $25 for nail trims or if you have a vet appointment for $68 they do the trim for free. One trip but an expensive one just for nails.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Same here, for when I brought my girl Buttercup in to have my vet check for possible ear mites, I tried to get as much out of him as possible. I asked if he would also please trim their nails ( I brought both my girls in, to both be seen and to make sure my other girl Cuddles didn't have ear mites, and was not having any health issues) check their teeth, and if they would please weigh them both. I was very fortunate.

He only charged me for one exam, not two, and though the fee was really expensive ( came to a total of 137.00 !! He did include giving me some dirty ear wax cleaning solution.) My Vet works at an Emergency Vet hospital that specializes in exotics ( small animals). I love, love my vet, but am looking around for someone cheaper ! Good luck to you !!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.